Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 1946 CJ2A 62312

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 3:52am
Linking this into the project page from the Tech Forum.  Today I was able to install a new fitting that will support the oil pressure line and gauge.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/broken-oil-coupler-fitting_topic39512.html?KW=

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 3:55am
Looking good man. I'm not the only one going crazy fixing rust I see.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 12:28pm
Yes,  I have a bunch of rust and metal work to do.  Yesterday I was able to get the chassis rolling again so now I can move some things around in the garage and get back to the body work. It's been a bit cramped in the garage lately.  I would really like to get a new tub someday but for now, I will patch this one up to the best of my ability.  
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 1:47pm
Look for a number in the case of the generator or for a tag. That number should ID if it's 6 or 12 volt. I believe they didn't go to 12 volt until the mid to late 50's in the 3B's or  CJ5's. You can run the 6 volt starter on 12 volts. It hammers the starter bendix, but spins her over fast!If you find a number on the genny, you can do a search on the net, or call a battery/starter shop.  The Willys Overland manuals for that time period had a electrical section that listed them also.  Have fun! Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 2:01pm
It's exciting to see life breathed back into these icons. Thx for sharing and keep us updated with lots of pics along the way.

Looking at the spot behind your data plate, it looks like your Willys was originally Normandy blue?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 3:07pm

I agree- the Evapo-Rust really works great. This piece off my rear PTO gearbox.
1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 3:22pm
Fred, how many of these early 2's with the pressed in "Jeep" are known to have survived? I'll bet that number is few. Oilly
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 4:57pm
Oilly - I think you meant to post this in Fred CJ2-26 thread???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 5:07pm
Oops, thanks Keith. Yep wrong thread, sorry.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 12:09pm
I need to do some more research on the generator.  I believe it was purchased from kaiser willys as a rebuilt replacement, but I don't have the receipt for this part from the PO.  I have a lot of receipts, but nothing for the starter or generator. It looks new / rebuilt.  I also have a new 12V transformer that came with the sale.

As for the color of the jeep, I too believe the original color was Normandy Blue.  PO also relayed this to me before the sale.  It has a coat of red than a least one coat of white.  It looks like all the newer coats of paint were sprayed on vs. brushed.

I did some body work yesterday - about 2 hours - but more to do later.  I spent most of my time removing the old tool box and learning how to remove spot welds.  I will post some pictures today.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 6:44pm
Here is the progress after yesterday in cutting out the old tool box.  I was able to get able 3/4 of the box cut out as I was figuring out the best technique for me to pop out the spot welds.  I was also able to remove some of the old floor pan as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 6:49pm
Remember to measure the frame mount holes in relation to the hat channel holes before you begin welding it all. Been here. Doesn't take squat to be off. John
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 6:50pm
As part of the sale of this project, the PO had purchased a number of panels and body parts to repair the passenger side of this jeep.  I suspect this jeep was kept in an area that caused more rust and decay on the passenger side - perhaps in the shade or tall grass.  The driver's side is in much better shape.  Unfortunately, some of the new body parts have surface rust from sitting outside for the past several years.  Here is a photo of what I have to work with...  Of note,  I have a complete side panel for the passenger side.  Now I need to decide how much of this I will actually use to get the body back in shape.  I will post some photos of the condition of the passenger side soon.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 6:52pm
I spent another hour out in the garage this morning finishing the removal of the old tool box - about 3 hours total for the removal.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 6:55pm
Thanks for the tip on measuring the frame mount holes.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 7:06pm
Here are a few photos of the passenger side of the jeep.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 7:06pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 7:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>