Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 1946 CJ2A 62312

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 2:50am
Originally posted by Doodledad Doodledad wrote:

'...fuel injection on my 48 2a L head "Eileen"'

Pics?  Details? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 11:13am
I have been working with a reputable company and we are using a GM based TBI system. O2 sensor, ECT,MAP a ECU and module are the main components They were able to modify an upraraded 12 V electronic distributor (from Walck's) to even give timing advance! I have a bunch of pictures of the install but I've always had trouble getting pictures on this site is the silliest thing I've ever seen I'd be more than happy to send them directly to you. P.m. me your regular email or if you could explain to me how to upload these I've tried Photobucket and it's a mess I use Apple iPad. Right now we're working on final tuning but we did have it running and seems the system is going to work really well.   I will be putting it through its paces on the trail in the upcoming months. If anybody is interested in the professional installation of the system once it's perfected I will be more than happy to accommodate. I have a semi retired professional auto customizer From Muncy PA.
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
ahmichigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 4:00pm
I guess I'm not the only one with the built in tool box lower vent hole.Big smile
Seating Capacity of a CJ-2a is 4 adults or 1 adult and 14 cub scouts. :) CJ-2A 1946 #22740
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 10:22pm
Doodledad, PM sent

ahmichigan,

No, that turns out to have been a very common option. Unhappy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 11:27pm
I thought that was a water drain or a place to drop your beer cans
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 12:38pm
It's been a while since I posted status on this project, but over the next week or so I plan on adding some additional photos and status on my efforts.  In short, I've made a lot of progress over the spring and summer months but there is still more work to be done.  The good news is I purchased this vehicle without knowing if the engine ran - I know that it turned - and I was recently able to wire up the system and get the engine running.  More to come over the next week as I have some time off from work.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2017 at 10:46pm
  Looking forward to seeing your progress, Dave!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 3:29pm
Some of the items I worked on in the month of April that did not get captured in photos included: installing a master cylinder and connecting the front brake lines to the wheel cylinders, adjusting the brakes, and getting the oil lines squared away.  As summer came along, I started to work on the body.  As a disclaimer, I have to say I've been teaching myself to weld during this project and as I display additional photos, you will see I have a long way to go.  I also want to say that I'm not worried about absolute perfection at this time as I know I will be at this project for years to come.  Attached is a photo of cleaning up some of the cutting on the bottom of the tub so I can put in a new passenger floor pan, hat channels, and tool box - all of these parts came with the purchase of the project but were in various condition based on exposure to the elements.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 3:33pm
As part of working on the tub, the side panels on the lower front and middle of the passenger side were totally rusted out.  I cut about 5 inches away from the lower passenger side and trimmed up the new panels that came with the project.  I had a complete side panel, but I only needed the lower 5 inches.  As you can see from my welding skills, there is a lot more learning to be done.  I ended up doing small welds every few inches and then came back to fill in. 

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 3:37pm
Here is one more photo getting the other part lined up for welding.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 12:12am
Originally posted by dluber dluber wrote:

I ended up doing small welds every few inches and then came back to fill in. 

Well, that's how it's done.  Nice work!
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:05am
Here is another picture from the side.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:16am
If you take a look at the image above, the small area with the paint removed just in front of the rear well was a test I did with a heat gun.  This tub has about 5 coats of paint with the original factory color being Normandy Blue.  The heat gun worked okay but to took a long time to get 5 layers of paint warm enough to scrape the layers off. 
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

It's exciting to see life breathed back into these icons. Thx for sharing and keep us updated with lots of pics along the way.

Looking at the spot behind your data plate, it looks like your Willys was originally Normandy blue?

I knew it!  Mine was Normandy Blue alsoThumbs Up
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 12:47pm
Rick - I plan on taking it back to the original color someday....
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 12:52pm
Unfortunately,  I did not take as many photos of getting the new floor pan installed and hat channels on the passenger side.  I also had to patch a small portion of the drivers side floor and hat channel.  This tub really needs more work then I put into so far.  I could spend a whole year - based on my skill level - trying to get this to perfect, but I really want to get the vehicle to running condition. 

Here is a photo of the bottom of the tub after the repairs with some undercoating applied to add bit of protection.  I should have mentioned in the beginning that it would have been a lot easier to order a new tub, but I would rather keep this jeep as close to original as possible - even with a few imperfections...

Edited by dluber - 20 Nov. 2017 at 12:55pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:06pm
I can't say that body work is my favorite part of working on cars, but given all the work that needed to be done on this project, it was nice to jump back and forth working on the chassis and the tub.  Attached is a photo of test fitting the original front bumper onto the frame.  Before I started working on the bumper, it was twisted on both ends and has some heavy welds on the top and the bottom from some previous add on modification.  It took some grinding, heating, and bending to get it back in shape.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:11pm
I also did some work on the Ross steering system.  The previous owner rebuilt the system and I finished some of the work making adjustments and installing the brass sleeve for the early horn system.  I had to grind a bit of the plastic out of the sleeve to get it to fit, but not a significant amount to cause any future issues.  Here is a photo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>