Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring cj2a 59108 into mb tribute WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 5:14am
This is my first time checking out this thread.

Very nice work!  It is fun to watch a "lost cause" come to life.
rmneal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmneal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 5:36am
Your bus seat idea is BRILLIANT!  I will keep that one in mind if my "mystery seat" find doesn't work out as planned.  Great work!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2016 at 11:35am
Ron,I wish I could do the same to my body.lol

Edited by Gil - 23 Nov. 2016 at 11:47am
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 11:12am
Originally posted by harvey45 harvey45 wrote:

Very impressive! You are an artist!
Could not agree more! I continue to be impressed as you progress. Really like how you placed the frame on top of the body, what better way to assure fitup? Also like how you put the crease in the seat back. Do you think that could be done on the bed? I'm on a budget too! Anyways great work!. Wadoyado
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 4:43pm
Joe the creases in my rear seat bottom pan was done with a bead roller from Princess Auto,it's a store like Harbour Freight. I had to reinforce the bead roller to make it work properly with 3/4" x 6" flat bar.The grey piece of flat bar was added to stop the flexing.For the bed I did not have a big enough die with the set.I will have to have a set of die made up and try to see if it's strong enough to work. I have a 1943 bantam trailer that will need a little floor repair in the future,distance future." Other project"
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2016 at 2:25am
This is the way I did my rear crossmember.I had a channel made at a sheet metal place for about $30.00 .I cut and drilled holes in the channel and then I removed the center top section of the old crossmember and I welded it to the new crossmember I also made the right side longer,I found it looked better for what I'm doing.There is no problem for the exhaust tail pipe .

Edited by Gil - 25 Nov. 2016 at 2:53am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2016 at 2:43am
I rebuilt my carburetor with a master rebuild kit from Ron Fitzpatrick.Really good kit.My carburetor was really dirty,it was probably 30+years not seeing gas.I took it apart and soaked it in carb cleaner for about 4 days and it came out pretty clean. After that it was pretty easy to installed the new kit.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2016 at 3:25am
I had to modify the gas tank neck to be able to put gas under the seat.The jeep came with no seats so I had to modify seats from a M38 that I had. I made the bottom pan on the driver side with brackets and dowels to be able to remove when putting gas.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2016 at 10:56pm
Been working on my hood lately and been able to do some sandblasting today.Nice sunny day, it's fun in the snow.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 3:33am
Are you sure the hood going to be enough of a challenge for you??? Its in one piece and looks pretty straight.Wink
Phil
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 12:59pm
There is nothing straight on this old jeep winter are hard up here with all the snow.So I found a m38 hood in decent shape. I had to repair the side of the hood where they had put a patch with rivets where the intake or electrical plug was in and I welded a few cracks.

Edited by Gil - 07 Dec. 2016 at 4:48pm
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 4:38pm
there is no such thing as too far gone , it just means it will take a little longer to finish. keep up the good work
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 5:08pm
Thanks everyone for your comments and support,it's does help to keep on going on this little jeep.It's going to get done but it's like Andy said its will take a little longer.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2016 at 3:13am
I'm still working on my hood,this is the way I did mine to stop the water from entering the centre seam.First I used self-etching primer at the seam,then I used tape on each side of the seam ,then I applied the seam sealer and spread it with my finger with rubber glove to force the sealer in the grove I remove the tape right after.Once it's dry I applied epoxy primer and then paint.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2016 at 4:01am
nice job on the hood and a great idea with with the seam sealer
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2016 at 7:27pm
Just a little update.Finish both my original fenders,replaced rusted sheets metal on both fenders at brace location and welded new fender braces,also I made and welded brackets on fenders for MB head lights hinge brackets,finish painting hood,grill and fenders.Next I'm going to paint all the hardware for the tub,handles,roof bow brackets,head light buckets black out light,etc....the list never seem to end.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 2:29am
For my front turn signal lights I used M38 blackout lights that I had. I used those because they are much deeper inside than the MB lights. I replaced the inside light socket with dual wires connector socket for my maker and signal lights.I didn't want a separate lights for my signal lights and I wanted to keep the military look.By the pictures the lights should work o.k.The marker when on is dull and when the signal is on it's way brighter.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 3:21am
great look with the m38 lights and the dual fillament bulbsThumbs Up
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>