Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Show Us Your Video/Camera Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2017 at 12:06pm
I just seen this and wonder if anybody has it?  It looks like it would be a cheap way to get that 2nd camera view to edit in with your main camera.  I like the magnet mount feature.  But not sure how good it would be without any other mounting options.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 7:19am
Have not seen that before “Red Willy”, but for $35 you wouldn’t be out too much, and if something happened it might not hurt as bad. I like the  idea of having a strong magnet but not sure how you know where its pointing and from my experience, cropping video is a lot of work.

I was glad to see the comments on the GoPro remote. It’s hard to learn much about it from their website, like is there a screen on the remote also? A few of the reviews of the remote on the GoPro site were not very encouraging either, problems with battery life/charging. I also got the impression that the remote has to be hard wired to the GoPro during use, not Bluetooth?
Being able to use it to grab stills, off & on and aiming would be nice though.
Maybe I just need to wire in a USB charging port for the I-Phone and use that.

JPet, are you guys using “selfie-sitcks” to get that angle?

Edited by BENSH - 24 Mar. 2017 at 7:27am
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 11:53am
Bensh, I have not had any serious problems with the Go Pro remote on the other hand Stan had immediate problems with his. 

The issues I have had I mostly contribute to operator error. It is hard enough for me to see the screen without putting my cheaters on, then combine that with bouncing down the trail it is easy to push the wrong button or hold it too long etc.. It can be frustrating at times but to me it works good enough.

If the battery is fully charged I can for the most part get a full day of trail rides out of it. I try to remember to turn it off when we take breaks from riding. I don't have the patience any more to go through a couple of hours worth of video to edit it down to a five or ten minute video, I tend to film in short clips. This means I use the remote a lot and I still get good battery life out of it. I usually go through at least two or three camera batteries to one charge on the remote.

As I alluded to above the remote does have a screen that is big enough for the normal eyes to read, me I do better with cheaters on. You can pretty much toggle through all the cameras functions with the remote, which can lead to being in the wrong mode if your not careful.

All in all I would purchase the remote again.

I hope this helps

Glen
Glen
49 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 1:04pm
Glen,
Is this the remote you have? I don't remember the tiny screen ever showing the camera view but it sounds like yours does so maybe we have a different remote. If ours are different I don't want to confuse anyone about my bad experience, especially with your good experience with your remote.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GOPRO-SMART-REMOTE/1906171.uts?productVariantId=4041089&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04049014&rid=20&gclid=CjwKEAjwh9PGBRCfso2n3ODgvUcSJAAhpW5oJho4HEg1DMnoakX9pKECU_ZoEO8UAQP_sE9eLS1WJhoC-2vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 1:24pm
Stan, yes that is the one. I guess my post was a little misleading. It has a screen as such that shows what mode the camera is in, battery life and when it is recording, there is no viewing screen. I do have a viewing screen for the rear of my camera but usually only use it when I am diving. It uses a lot of battery power.
Glen
49 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 7:42pm
Here is some footage I shot today:

... I'm still learning this.  The video was shot in 4K and it has sound but somehow it got wacked out trying to transfer it.  Still working on that.  The gimbal is protected by a poly-carbonate bubble but sometimes you can see a reflection of the props off this bubble when the drone faces the sun.  I can remove the bubble but i think I'll try to shield the glare with tape or something.

This was shot using the active track function in profile mode.  The drone will follow the subject around at X distance.  As you can see, I can move the drone up down, forward, back, and so forth and it will still keep its eye on BAM BAM.  I wouldn't exactly say that it is "set it and forget it" but pretty much, I only have to concentrate on where the drone is going.  i don't have to worry about what it is looking at.  Still piddling.

Edit:  Also.  The drone is pretty good about following you but doesn't seem to want to back off when you come too close to it.  At the end of the footage, I cam too close and apparently when that happens, the drone aborts and just hangs in position.  This one has collision detection but it only works when the front sensors are pointed in the direction of travel.

Edited by jpet - 24 Mar. 2017 at 7:49pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 8:49pm
Jeff,
Awesome. 
I am a little worried about you though. I think zooming that thing in and out while  driving Bam Bam  on Cliffhanger is probably MORE dangerous than hanging a phone off the side on Black Bear. So please figure out the "set it and forget it" secret. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 9:17pm
Jeff ,that is awesome ,it could make some really nice video on the trails.Nice
Giles
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

....So please figure out the "set it and forget it" secret.
Actually, Most of the video, I was just driving with the controller sitting on the passenger seat. The only time I was controlling the drone was when it was passing me, or when I was stopped.

I was using active track which follows an image. The "follow me" mode would likely be more reliable since it follows the controller. I noticed that in active track, if the drone looses the image it's following, it just stops and hangs in the air.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2017 at 11:32pm
I didn't realize "active track" and "follow me" were different. Seemed like the camera was moving in and out so I thought you must be working it.

A drone is a way cooler camera mount than a goose neck, especially if you don't drive off a cliff during filming.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 8:11am
Thanks for the info on the remote guys, good to hear about a product before jumping in.
But Jeff: THAT IS SOME TOY! Guess if a guy wants to he can edit out some of the reflections and stuff but to see this thing just following you around like that is pretty neat. So how long before we find out how well it avoids trees?

P.S.Did I miss noticing what the drone (mfg/model/make) is?
    1945 CJ2a 11495
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by BENSH BENSH wrote:

..... if a guy wants to he can edit out some of the reflections and stuff ....
I think some black tape strategically placed on the protective bubble will solve the glare problem. Most people just fly without the bubble.
Quote ... So how long before we find out how well it avoids trees?....
Judging by my past history.... probably next week
Quote ...P.S.Did I miss noticing what the drone (mfg/model/make) is?
This one is a Mavic Pro. I'm naming the drone "Hawkeye"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12