Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Side Steps with a MB style exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side Steps with a MB style exhaust
    Posted: 02 Feb. 2017 at 2:52pm

Has anyone attempted to modify a side step to work with a MB style side exhaust?

I am thinking about picking up a set of re-pro side steps and seeing what can be done to get them to work with a MB style exhaust that runs under the passenger side of  the tub.  The reason we are running the MB style exhaust it to get it out of the way of the front PTO drive shaft for a winch.   The reason for the side steps is that my help is complaining about not having a step.  Need to keep my help happy.

Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2017 at 4:32am
My 1945 CJ-2A came from a dealer in New Haven, CT and it had side steps. The P.O. did not add them.
The muffler was moved inward to the point when the exhaust gases exited directly on to the center of the rear passenger tire. I took that step off and moved the exhaust back to it's original position as I didn't want hot engine gases constantly hitting the center of my tire.
The step brackets were also bent a bit to fit them onto the jeep. i still have it if you need a photo of what the bracket look like once modified.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2017 at 2:50pm
Jerry,

It would be great if you could post a picture of the bracket.

Thanks,
Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 3:55am
I took some pictures s of the right side step. I'll add them up here tomorrow!
1945 CJ-2A #11802
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 8:23pm
Here are some pics of the Right Side step that I removed from my 1945 CJ-2A so I could put the original MB style muffler and exhaust back to it's original location. I hope they help.
Jerry

1945 CJ-2A #11802
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply