Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sloppy Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sloppy Steering
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:22pm
Almost completed my frame off restoration, however I stupidly did not brake down all of the steering components.

The steering extremely tight before I took apart the steering box. It had a lot of gunk in it and barely turned. I took out the gunk and it turned extremely easy.

The problem is now, when I turn the wheel I have probably 1/6th of a turn before the wheel really starts to turn. 

How can I tighten it up?
I replaced the tie rods, and tubes. 

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:38pm
I also redid my box because I had about 15 degrees of slop.  Redid the box and STILL have about 4 to 6 degrees of slop.  Not actual no motion slop, as the pitman arm begins to move immediately, but no action wheel motion is observed for a bit.

I also found my bell crank up front was loose.  Another place to look.

You could also look into the "tightsteer" device they sell over on Kaiser Willy's.  Replaces the  screw on the side of the box with a spring unit to give constant pressure to the sector shaft.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:55pm
I have found that if you put a block under the front and rear sides of both front tires so they will not turn move.  Have an assistant slowly rock the wheel back and forth while I lay on the floor.  I watch for slop in the system.  Whatever has play in it will move.

Fix the things that are moving.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 4:15pm
Awesome, thanks for the advice. Will also look up the tight steer as a solution as well.
js
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 5:56pm
Proper over center adjustment of the sector to the worm, proper adjustment of the drag link ends or replacement of ovaled pitman arm, loose bell crank bushings, tie rod ends etc.
BOULDER 48 2A
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 6:06pm
Just a caution, Tight Steer is not meant to remove play in the steering caused by worn or improperly adjusted components. Like Terry stated, make sure all parts are good and adjusted properly. Tight Steer as stated keeps constant pressure on the Sector Shaft through out its travel to make up for worn or inconsistencies in the worm gear and tracking balls.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 6:23pm
Again, have someone rock the steering and look for the what is moving.  Even if you over tighten the sector shaft (NOT RECOMMENDED)  the warn out stuff will still move.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 8:15pm
Definitely have a helper to work the steering wheel while you examine all the steering components. I have a good 15° of play in my wheel. I assumed it was the steering box until I had a friend work the wheel for me. Turned out to be my bell crank. All the slop was there.
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 10:34pm
Had the same problem. Had to replace sector shaft and steering worm gear. Also installed the tightsteer to prevent futute slop. I dont think all the play can ever be removed. The bell crank and pitman arm were also new and no play in drag link or any where. But still a little (few degrees)
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 10:54pm
I agree on the Tightsteer comment. The job of Tightsteer is to simply keep things tight going from centre of steering motion left to right as these things are setup in the middle of the steering rotation, as you turn right and left they will loosen or should if things are assembled properly. I have rebuilt dozens of these Willys jeeps and never found the need to use this product although it is a neat idea. As others have said there's probably an issue in one or more of the components either wore or not properly adjusted. FYI the steering gear takes 140 oil. Feel free to private message me or even call me I'll be glad to help.
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
 Post Reply Post Reply