Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spark plug temp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark plug temp
    Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 10:56pm
My cj runs rich. If I can't tune it leaner at the carb, can I get part way there by running a hotter spark plug? I am at 5500'above sea level. Motor re-built.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 11:51pm
I would fix the carb but you can run a hotter plug. The engine will run hotter. I can't come up with how the numbers and letters change for a hotter heat range right now. Old Man Thing. A good parts person can figure it out for you.
What plugs are you running now?
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:10am
Your not going to get a much hotter plug to clear the valves Typically a hotter plug has more of the pollinator sticking into the combustion chamber. Not something you can really get away with on a 134L

I strongly suggest you rejet your carb for the altitude your operating at. It is the best way to retain performance and solve any over rich problems.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 6:57am
I'm assuming L-134 with carter WO? 

From experience at altitudes of 12,000+ msl, with a properly operating carter WO or YF, there is seldom a problem of running overly rich. There is power loss, but that cant be helped.....IMHO, running hotter plugs wont solve your problem.  In fact, it could cause you more problems with pre-ignition. I run Autolite 303s. 
I would check your carb for proper operation. IE float height, accelerator pump linkage setting and metering rod. I live at 700ft above sea level, and like many others here, have logged numerous miles at high altitudes with no major changes to engine or carb. 

Heres a link to Auto-Lites heat range chart....

Gary

51 CJ-3A
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 1:18pm
Thanks for the insights. I will tune the carb. Its not the Carter though.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
 Post Reply Post Reply