Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Willys Reunion Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Willys Reunion Questions
    Posted: 12 July 2016 at 1:50pm
Hi all,

As most of you know, I serve on the spring reunion committee.  We talk to each other often through email.  Lately it has been daily as we are trying to set plans for the 2017 Spring Willys Reunion which will be the 25th anniversary.  Some of the things we have been discussing are the location of the reunion and the banquet format.  I was given permission to ask you guys some questions to see how the participants feel.  These are my own questions but the committee will look at the feedback.  In the end, we want to satisfy the participants while keeping our own work load at a manageable level.

Location:  The Effingham show was an average show but we did not see any boost in participation over Hudson.  There were, however, several complications the committee had to go through with the hotel and banquet.  Based on these complications, we have pretty much agreed not to have the 2017 Reunion in Effingham.  I can tell you from a work stand point, The Clarion in Hudson has been the easiest hotel to work with and has the best facilities at a reasonable price.  Also, Having the reunion in Hudson makes it easier for Bob and Mindy.  The show was moved to Effingham for 2016 in response to several request from the participants who requested us to the move the reunion back to the central midwest.  The show turned out to be the same size but from what I have heard, the vendors did better in Effingham. Right now, the committee is in discussion to move the reunion somewhere between Hudson and Effingham.  We are also considering moving it to Michigan where Bill Norris can be "boots on the ground"  Of course, any time we move it, there can be unforeseen complications.

Banquet:  There has been some discussion on the format on the banquet.  Some feel it is too long.  We want to have a good program, but yet we also want to give our friends more time to visit "parking lot style".  Right now we are discussing a way to have an informal gathering outdoors to try and bundle the meal, program and parking lot gathering into the same event.  This would also utilize some of the down time from 4:00 to 5 when everyone is getting ready for the banquet.  This can be complicated if it rains.   Since rain at the reunion is a given, we are actually talking about renting or buying one or more large tents to help the vendors, move registration outdoors, have a place to congregate when it rains, and have an outdoor banquet.  Of course if we do this, we have to pay for it so the banquet price might not go down.  Hotel's won't let you cater your own food in and we can't have it off-site due to drinking and driving.  Typically the banquets have cost $30 per head.  I have also suggested to the committee that it might be a good idea to stop having a guest speaker.  This would shave 30-40 minutes off the banquet and relieve us from paying mileage and possibly a hotel stay for the guest speaker.

These are just some thoughts the committee is working with.  Here are my questions.  Again, these are my questions.  I'm asking them to help me form an opinion to the committee and the committee will be reading the feedback.

Vote with a number 0-4
4 - YES,  Absolutely!
3 - yes, this is what I prefer
2 - Neutral
1 - no, I I'd rather not
0 - NO, Absolutely

.... I'm also going to ask you:
Do you, or will you register a jeep
Do you, or will you attend the banquet
Are you, or will you have a vendor spot.

Your vote will be weighted based on those three particulars.
The questions:

1.  Have the 2017 Reunion at the Clarion in Hudson, OH  (YES = 4 .. 3 ..2 ..1 ..0 = NO)

2.  Stop having a guest speaker at the banquet if it meant having the banquet over by 8:00  (YES = 4 .. 3 ..2 ..1 ..0 = NO)

3.  Have an outdoor banquet/cookout even if the price is $30 per ticket. (YES = 4 .. 3 ..2 ..1 ..0 = NO)

Do/will you register a jeep?  YES/NO
Do/will you attend the banquet?
Are/will you vend?

I"d appreciate feedback on what I have said above and please vote either here in this thread, or privately through email:  jpet@willysreunion.com

I'm looking for feedback from folks who attend or have attended and the outcome of this survey might effect their attendance.  If you don't come to the reunion, I welcome your comments but appreciate it if you do  not vote.

Again, this feedback is for me and will influence my emails to the committee.  Please let me know what you are thinking.  Now is your chance.  Also, know that we can't make everyone happy but we will try.  Thanks for reading.

Edit:  Changed to 2017 (Sorry got fall reunion on the brain)

Edited by jpet - 12 July 2016 at 3:16pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 2:29pm
My personal vote is:

1. Hudson  - 2
2. No speaker - 4
3. cookout - 4

Do/will you register a jeep?  YES
Do/will you attend the banquet? YES
Are/will you vend? NO

Edited by jpet - 12 July 2016 at 3:20pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 3:16pm
1. Hudson - 0
2. Speaker - 4
3. Cookout - 4

Are/will you vend? NO

Edited by 48cj2a - 12 July 2016 at 3:18pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 5:47pm

Jeff - You just HAVE to be DIFFERENT. Every other survey in the world rates 1-5. You have to do 0-4...

1. 4 Selfishly Hudson is very convenient for me. I would vote yes for any place that is easy to get to. As much as I would like to drive to each re-union and tow a display vehicle, till I retire that is tough. Being near a city with cheap airfare could bring many more people from the west coast and further east. Once they see how cool the re-unions are, they will be willing to commit driving further.

2.  3 We've had a few guest speakers that missed the target for the wide audience. When we had the speakers scheduled during the day, attendance was low because everyone was worried about missing the bargains at the parts swap. Maybe try something in between. have the speaker start at 4:00 Saturday or during happy hour. Or the speaker on Friday night and the banquet on Saturday night?

33 I prefer indoor if the weather calls for rain or high heat and humidity.

Do/will you register a jeep? YES I will register a Jeep if it is less than 250 miles from home.
Do/will you attend the banquet? YES I will attend the banquet if my schedule allows me to stay Sat night. What about a Friday banquet?
Are/will you vend? YES. I eventually have to sell all the stuff I brought home from the last 10 reunions, hopefully not at a loss. My goal is to pre-sell before the reunion and just transport the parts for the exchange.
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:00pm
1. Hudson - 4
2. Speaker - 2
3. Cookout - 4

Do/will you register a jeep?  Probably not
Do/will you attend the banquet? maybe
Are/will you vend? Yes
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

..... Jeff - You just HAVE to be DIFFERENT. Every other survey in the world rates 1-5. You have to do 0-4...

Joe, I considered using 1-5 but since I am a programmer, I just could not stand to waste the "0" bit. By using the 0-4 , I still have 3 bits left in the byte to use. Could come on handy ..... actually I was thinking "absolutely not is worth zero points. Thx 4 the feedback.

Edit:  To clarify, we are voting to drop the speaker so "4" means you want to drop the speaker.

Edited by jpet - 12 July 2016 at 7:10pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 7:37pm
I, like Joe Friday, am a selfish bastard! Being close was easy on Mindy and I, we had a lot of run around to do in the days before show and the location of the Clarion made it easy on us. That, coupled with the availability of volunteers on the ground was very helpful. I'd love to have someone run the banquet, run some off site drives, etc. and have friday night hog roast down in the national park. So my answers are.
1) - 4
2) - 3 (if we can get a good speaker I'm all for it)
3) - 3 (indoor or out is fine by me.)

Register a jeep - Yes
Attend the Banquet - Yes
Vend - Yes
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 8:23pm
1) 0 sorry just to far to drive (12 hrs)
2) 2
3) 2
4) yes
5) yes
6) no
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 8:36pm
1) 00000100 I like Hudson. Wherever the show takes place - it is closer for some and further for others. 

2) 00000011 See Joe Friday's remarks.

3) 00000010 An outdoor cookout would be fun and I like being outside. But - the normal bad weather could make an outdoor meal a disaster. 

Are/will you vend? NO, wish I could get my act together and bring stuff.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 8:52pm
To be clear on the cookout. We are looking into getting one or more large tents. No way would we plan an outdoor event and just cross our fingers on the rain. We would either have tent(s), pavilion or an indoor backup plan.

Bruce - how have you done as a vendor at Hudson?

Edited by jpet - 12 July 2016 at 8:55pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 9:11pm
Jeff - I have done OK at all the venues, especially when Harry Sheets is there Smile.
I just sell parts help pay my expenses. Hudson is closer, so expenses are less.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

.......Wherever the show takes place - it is closer for some and further for others
I totally get that and I'm not trying to solve a problem here but I am trying my best to please the majority and throw more weight to the ones who attend most often with the most participation. This is in no way a vote that decides these questions. I'm also going to send out emails and those responses won't be tallied here. This is mostly for me so I can feel like I'm doing the right thing.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 9:48pm
..... also, if we are talking selfishly, I don't really care where the reunion is held, I will be there with jeep but my selfish desire is to have the banquet over by 8:00 or get outdoors ASAP. The only good quality time I get with my friends is Friday night and Saturday night. Notice you didn't see too much of me Saturday during the day. Too much stuff to do. When the banquet doesn't get over till 8:30 - 9:00 .... or even later, we only get a couple hours of tent time and have to stay up to 11:00. I just can't stay up that late. I'm the one pushing for an outdoor event and a tent.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 9:56pm
Looks like Bob W gave you a few good 'bits' of advice !
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 10:11pm

Looks like Bob W gave you a few good 'bits' of advice !
..... yes, I didn't byte off more than I can chew!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 11:20pm
I know the outdoor meal sounds great, but if a tent is required it can be costly.
I checked locally here, and each 20x30 tent is rated for 48 people including tables and chairs. $468 per day.
So add at least $10 per head just for the tent...

You'll need 3?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 11:53pm

I know the outdoor meal sounds great, but if a tent is required it can be costly.
I checked locally here, and each 20x30 tent is rated for 48 people including tables and chairs. $468 per day.

You'll need 3?

That's why I want to buy one 20 x 40 and see if the fall reunion will buy a 20 x 40  Then we can use both at each event.  each one is around $750.

What's the thing that brings the reunion down? ... rain .... what is the one thing we can count on at least one day of the reunion .... rain.  If we had a large enough tent area, some, if not all the vendors could assemble inside the tent.  Tables would be a requirement.  When it rains, people will come to the tent and to the vendors rather than the vendors having to cover up and sales stop.  Late Saturday afternoon, most vendors start packing up anyway.  For the ones that don't  close up shop we move the tables outside of the tent for the banquet.  This is only if it looks like rain.

... I just want to get a tent and see how we can utilize it.  It would not take long to raise the money.  And the tent sure was nice 3 years ago in Hudson when when had that cold weather. 

Edit:  We have paid $750 in mileage for a guest speaker.  If we drop the speaker a couple years, we can buy a tent and be in the parking lot by 8:00. ... of course if we have two tents, we may not have to even leave the parking lot.

Edited by jpet - 13 July 2016 at 12:00am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2016 at 12:33am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

You'll need 3?

That's why I want to buy one 20 x 40 and see if the fall reunion will buy a 20 x 40  Then we can use both at each event.  each one is around $750.

What's the thing that brings the reunion down? ... rain .... what is the one thing we can count on at least one day of the reunion .... rain.  If we had a large enough tent area, some, if not all the vendors could assemble inside the tent.  Tables would be a requirement.  When it rains, people will come to the tent and to the vendors rather than the vendors having to cover up and sales stop.  Late Saturday afternoon, most vendors start packing up anyway.  For the ones that don't  close up shop we move the tables outside of the tent for the banquet.  This is only if it looks like rain.

... I just want to get a tent and see how we can utilize it.  It would not take long to raise the money.  And the tent sure was nice 3 years ago in Hudson when when had that cold weather. 

Edit:  We have paid $750 in mileage for a guest speaker.  If we drop the speaker a couple years, we can buy a tent and be in the parking lot by 8:00. ... of course if we have two tents, we may not have to even leave the parking lot.

FYI..... You will want to check local fire codes regarding the usage of a tent for public assembly. Most codes require a fire proof material, and also govern occupancy per square foot of usage, requiring special usage permits.

Hate to see the $750 not purchase the correct type of tent for usage, and it would suck to have the local fire inspector shutdown the event on a technicality.....

Joe Friday's tent was a blessing, but it was also used for personal use, not public. Life safety under his tent wasn't an issue.......

I need to check to see if my inspector card retired when I did... LOL
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>