Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Willys Reunion Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

1. 3
2. 3
3. 2

Yes
Yes
No

Hudson is a pretty good distance for me.  I have enjoyed the setting there as well as the drive through the State Park.  Personally, the issue with Hudson is the timing combined with the distance. The spring reunion usually occurs at the end of the school year. I was able to make Effingham this year, but I would not have been able to make Hudson as we were still in school and we are not allowed time off during the last week or so.

Your vote does not seem to reflect your explanation.  3 - means you prefer Hudson 3 - means, you prefer dropping the speaker.  2 - means are neutral on an out door banquet.  Am I confused?

Edited by jpet - 14 July 2016 at 2:37pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 2:37pm
Looks like a really cool place to visit....motel situation seems not so good.

If one spends time to and from motel  it detracts from the Reunion...plus vendors, I doubt, will go for that at all.

Is the Holiday Inn the only 'game in town' in the Effingham area?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

....Is the Holiday Inn the only 'game in town' in the Effingham area?...
The holiday Inn is the only hotel with a conference center and all the hotels are booked the weekend before labor day Memorial Day.

What seems to happen when you block out rooms at a hotel that will book out, with or without you, is that you have no wiggle room.  The safe thing is to reserve 70 rooms.  A hotel like the Effy Holiday Inn will do it, but then they start getting pushy a couple months out when they are totally sold out other than the block and we only have 10 bookings.  It does not matter how many warnings you put out, several people will wait till after the block is lifted before they book. Some people book and then have to cancel or don't show up.  Some people book but when they show up, their reservation is missing and there are no rooms available.  This happened to at least one person this year. At Hudson, we can reserve 50 rooms and if we have a few less or a few more, it is no big deal.  I just go a little nuts worrying about the loose ends and when a problem comes up.  Especially when the manager leaves without having a go-to person.

Terre Haute might be a better choice than Effingham.

Edited by jpet - 15 July 2016 at 10:30am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 4:49pm
The first year at Hudson we had well over 125 vehicles, but I think that was a a show of support, plus a new audience and M.D. Juan being there. I was kind of disappointed at the showing in Effingham, I really did expect we'd get more. It was nice to see people like Louis Larson and Dave Hutson show up, it's good to see the old crowd but I would not move it further west to get three our four people.

I have looked into Bowling Green, Ky, and like the town and some of the things to see and do, but two things come into play there. One is the hotel which books up for the Indy 500 also, and second we are getting sorta close in time and location to the Hueston Woods event which makes it not fair to make people decide on one over the other, plus it puts all of the shows in one location.

The coming year is the 25th, and it would be nice to have something special to mark the occasion.

My vote is that I like the speaker at dinner depending on the speaker and the topic. The reunion is meant to be different than a "car show" in that we have events like history speakers, tech events, dinner, etc. If we remove all of that, it just becomes a car show.

When we charged just $25 for dinner, we lost about $5 per dinner served. We made up for it with the raffle and such, but it was always a worry. We did make dinner cheaper if you bring a jeep, just an added bonus for bringing a jeep. Any money we make, we put back into either the speaker's traveling expenses, equipment to make the show better, etc.

1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

I have looked into Bowling Green, Ky, and like the town and some of the things to see and do, but two things come into play there. One is the hotel which books up for the Indy 500 also, and second we are getting sorta close in time and location to the Hueston Woods event which makes it not fair to make people decide on one over the other, plus it puts all of the shows in one location.

Did I miss something in your post???

Indy and Bowling Green are nearly 4 hrs apart from each other - their hotels book up for the 500???

Our dates have only changed once the entire time I have been going to the Spring Reunion but never conflicted with HW except the first year they had their event which we all know what that was about.

plus it puts all of the shows in one location???
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 5:33pm
One other thing to vote on maybe......how important is it to the majority of the attendees for there to be "other things to do"?

I understand the wife/kids thing but how many attendees REALLY combine hauling their Jeep to a Reunion AND combine that with an interesting/educational side trip for the fam?.....I know there are a few maybe but I can't really picture " hey hon, how bout we leave this boring old parking lot full of jeeps and go take in a couple museums while we are here......hurry now, ya know I have to back at work early Monday".

I know shopping is generally on the list but the rest?......just trying to be real.

I know when Tom Johnson was doing the Fall one it came up that a bus/van shuttle for the "women to go to the mall" was deemed a necessary addition......don't think that was what one would term a success.
   (I know Phyl said "naaa, I didn't come out here to go shopping") now if there was a nice ocean close by......Wink

Lotsa times I don't even like to leave to eat lunch.

Vacations are different things to different people though......just something to add to the discussion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

1. 3
2. 3
3. 2

Yes
Yes
No

Hudson is a pretty good distance for me.  I have enjoyed the setting there as well as the drive through the State Park.  Personally, the issue with Hudson is the timing combined with the distance. The spring reunion usually occurs at the end of the school year. I was able to make Effingham this year, but I would not have been able to make Hudson as we were still in school and we are not allowed time off during the last week or so.

Your vote does not seem to reflect your explanation.  3 - means you prefer Hudson 3 - means, you prefer dropping the speaker.  2 - means are neutral on an out door banquet.  Am I confused?

It was not necessarily meant to be an explanation of my answers, just a side note.  I put a number 3 for number 1 because I would not mind if it was in Ohio.  I will go if I can.  I put a 3 for 2 because I would like to get out on to the parking lot earlier, but would go along with the majority.  It is not a deal breaker either way (am I interpreting your scale correctly?). As far as the outdoor banquet, I am neutral because, I will do whatever is going on, although,  I do think it is nice to get out of the weather for a while (rain, heat, humidity etc...)
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 7:50pm
After re reading my response, maybe I am neutral on everythingBig smile  Just throw some Jeeps in a field and I will bring mineThumbs Up
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 8:35pm
Cool.  Reunion at Doug's House!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 9:17pm
First time Randy Snyder and I met was a situation just like that......maybe 10 jeeps (?) in a field. Host said "yall come".

We did.......Fishers, IN......in....awhile ago.

Think we moved up to the city park parking lot the next year if I remember correctly....ah, good times.

No banquet, no speaker, no entry fee that I remember.......not even a motel.  LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 9:57pm
1. Hudson  - 3
2. No speaker - 4
3. cookout - 4

Do/will you register a jeep?  YES
Do/will you attend the banquet? YES
Are/will you vend? NO

43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 3:48am
A couple of points to ponder for discussion purposes....

Jeff, you mentioned Labor Day in response to the motel explanation....we're discussing the SPRING one, right?

Am also interested in the answers to the questions Art posted.

Thank you.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 10:19am
Sorry, I meant Memorial Day.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

First time Randy Snyder and I met was a situation just like that......maybe 10 jeeps (?) in a field. Host said "yall come".

We did.......Fishers, IN......in....awhile ago.

Think we moved up to the city park parking lot the next year if I remember correctly....ah, good times.

No banquet, no speaker, no entry fee that I remember.......not even a motel.  LOL

Deb and I attended one of those on the way home from an Anniversary trip. I think Randy's Jeep was a rolling Chassis and we had not met yet.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 2:37pm
Wow, I didn't realize that Art.....

The Indiana Flatfender Gathering.....I think Sharek fed us hot dogs....found a thread on the old message board dated 05 about me not making it that year, so that should have been the third one......so 2003 and 2004 I guess.

I also have a vague memory of going to a little diner in downtown Fishers with a handful of guys (and gals) too.

Thinking back, I may have it reversed I don't know....the park may have been first then the field....do you remember Randy?

Pretty sure it may have been a first meeting with Lindsay Clark too.

Edited by rocnroll - 15 July 2016 at 4:19pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 4:47pm
I think it was just field when we went and might have had a slight difficulty finding it. So long ago (11 yrs ago - Our 20th) I can't remember 100%. But don't remember a park, but should have pics somewhere...
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191 Project
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 5:13pm
Ok that means the first one was in the parking lot and the next was the acreage that was a little hard to find.

First one must therefore been 2003. 2004 must be the year I took the tan 3a that I later sold in Springfield.

Hey .......there's another location for you ....Springfield.  LOL  Doubt Bill will vote for that one.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 6:08pm
'08 was in Springfield at the Rt66 motel, not a bad drive for us......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>