Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Bell Crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Bell Crank
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2017 at 11:28pm
I started reinstalling the steering assembly on my 46 2A today. The project that never ends.... Anyway, on the bell crank assembly (older style with 3/4" pin) is there supposed to be a washer between the bell crank and the crown nut? Is there supposed to be a washer on top of the bell crank? Thanks-Tom
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:17am
When I removed my bell crank last week, I thought it had a washer in both locations you asked about, because I found a thin flat washer and the castle nut washer.

My bell crank is original, however, in my 1945 Maintenance Manual, the diagram does not list any washers.

I installed both the thin washer, at the top, between the crank and the frame bracket and then the new washer for the bottom castle nut. It installed easy and is working nicely.

This is the before picture. Now that I look at it, it does not appear to have a washer at the top. The thin washer I took off must have been under the bottom washer.

Edited by HCAT - 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:28am
Dave
44 Willys MB
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:28am
Thanks a lot! Think I will buy two tomorrow and install.
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 1:42am
TWN,

This got me thinking.

Here is the new, reinstalled crank with a rebuild kit and the thin washer in the top. You can see a slight gap that is not present in the first pic. That thin washer must not have been in the top when I pulled it off.

Dave
44 Willys MB
 Post Reply Post Reply