Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steering column

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering column
    Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 3:01pm
I am making a modified steering column much like the one in the posts on building a universal modified. can anyone give me a measurement on the original length? say from the clamp on the dashboard to the end of the steering shaft were the steering wheel goes on. has anyone made changes to the angle of the column or the original length or height of the steering wheel. possibly to make more room, a more comfortable position, or reduced belly rub. I will install the seats and test before making any final decisions.

thanks
Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 4:37pm
Generally the clearance you need to be conserned with when moving or adjusting the steering wheel is between your hand at the top of the wheel arc and the Wiper motor or windshield frame.

I am using an Ididit Classic Column. It looks pretty much like a stock Jeep column except for the wheel mount area is set up for a 3 bolt Grant Steering wheel type attachment. I am combining this with a Joes Racing Products 15" Flat (no dish) Aluminum Wheel to gain some belly room. This will allow me to move the wheel up at least the 1" in diameter difference (and more most likely since a stock wheel can be moved up and they are 17" D) and then that gives me an additional 2" at the belly position.

The Joes Racing Products 15" Flat wheel is the only wheel I could find that was inexpensive and didn't have any dish.

Of course this is with using a Saginaw style steering. In my case a Saginaw 525 Manual 6.25 turn box.

Thats what I am doing.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 5:22pm
thanks mark
I am using the 525 steering box with the 6.25 turn same as you. have you driven the jeep using this box? when I got this I didn't know about different ratios. I am going to try this because I already have it. I am a little concerned it may have a strange feel.

Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 7:39pm
I have not driven it with the 525 box but I have driven MANY late 60's chevys with the same box. My 67 Chevelle that I street raced and grew up in had one as did my Grandfathers 65 Malibu Wagon. It should feel very similar to a stock Ross box as far as turning it. I do not know how many turn stop to stop a Ross box is or if the Saginaw will even require full rotation to turn the wheels stop to stop (this would depend on the length of the Pitman arm as well as the distance the Knuckle turns.

I do know the Power Steering boxes many guys use are about a 3-1 and I had heard from some that can make a short Wheel Base Willys a little Twitchy on the Hwy way. Something I wanted to avoid as I plan to take many long trips once finished.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by harry E harry E wrote:

thanks mark
I am using the 525 steering box with the 6.25 turn same as you. have you driven the jeep using this box? when I got this I didn't know about different ratios. I am going to try this because I already have it. I am a little concerned it may have a strange feel.

Harry

I'm using this steering box in my jeep. It is about six turns lock to lock and the road "feel" is very light, like one finger light.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply