Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Tube Crack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Tube Crack
    Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 11:13pm
Working on my 47 CJ2A project, rebuilding steering components etc right now. The column has a crack at the opening for the horn contact to the inner brass bushing. I'm trying to save as many original parts as possible.....wondering if you think it would be ok to grind a groove along the crack and weld it up. The tube is not overly structural given the inner steel shaft carries most of the load. The weld could be ground down a bit but this area will. ot interfere with insertion in the gear box.
Your learned expertise and comments appreciated.
Thanks!
Jeff
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:28am
Jeff,
I'm definitely not learned or expert, but I'm pretty sure that welding up a crack in the tube will be just fine.
Before I got my rig, my uncles did this bubba repair on the tube and ran it that way for years.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Duck001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:01am
Thanks.....nice bubba repair! I could even weld on a short reinforcemnt tube in that area.
It will be below the floor as well. A new one is at least $50 and those saved dollars add up (or cost you) over a project.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:12am
Maybe you could find a piece of exhaust tubing or fitting that will slide right over it.
 Post Reply Post Reply