Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck Oil Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck Oil Pump
    Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:01pm
I have the 3 bolts off holding the oil pump to the block, but it is not wanting to come out.
I cant get my large dead blow hammer at it, but i have been trying to hit it with a plastic mallet trying to loosen. What is the best place to get on the pump to persuade it out? Or is it same to maybe punch it through the distributer bore?

Also is the original oil pump steel or aluminum? Mine is aluminum. wondering if it was repalced by the previous owner (probably was since it was not clocked correctly)
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:17pm
Trying to keep up here as your posts are getting scattered. This is the same L134 with the distributor  problem and UFO in the dist shaft hole right? First stop whacking on it.. If you haven't already you gotta remove the fender to get clear access to the pump. Once you have access your options increase considerably. You did remove the correct 3 out of 5 bolts right?

Edited by RICKG - 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:19pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:24pm
Dan,

The 1948 pump should be steel.  My first impression is not good - I would pull the engine instead of breaking something due to lack of access.

Here are some rambling ideas from a man with no skin in the game:

I am assuming you have pulled the distributor.  If it is aluminum it might be corroded in place and might need a wack of two with a dead blow - which you said you don't have access to swing.  You may need to pull the fender.

Make sure you have all of the bolts that are used to mount the pump to the block out.  Depending on the pump there may be two bolts that hold the bottom of the pump together.  You need to make sure the mounting bolts are out.  

You might pull the spark plugs and put a wrench on the crank nut and rock the engine cam shaft while you tap with a dowel through the distributor hole on the end of the oil pump.  I would not hit it hard - you don't want to damage the cam shaft.  Just enough to dislodge it from the cam if it is stuck there.  I doubt it is stuck on the cam. 

Be Safe Out There.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 02 Mar. 2017 at 2:34pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:52pm
I've seen many aluminum oil pumps. I don't know whether they were ever used in production (maybe F-head?) but they must have been made of aluminum at some point in the replacement world. I have re-used a couple of used aluminum-bodied pumps with good results.
  As with anything else, be patient with it. Don't go to whacking on it, or wrenching on it with a pipe wrench or something. I'm with Stev, make sure you have all of the bolts out. One thing I haven't run across yet, is a stuck oil pump.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 10:55pm
Fender is off
3 hold down bolts are off
from what i found in the engine so far, probably old cruddy oil holding it in.
Not gonna take the motor out, if it comes out that leads me to put something bigger in place  :)

Good to know aluminum is not OEM. then my assumption is correct that previous owner installed it without thinking about the distributer.
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 11:11pm
If the PO used an aggressive gasket sealant you could try to get an old chisel between the pump body and the block. A few easy taps might break the bond.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 11:48pm
Also, later original oil pumps are aluminum. I believe they call this out in the 1949 parts catalog. The bolts to remove are the two big bolts closet to us in the photo, and one short bolt on the other side...not seen in this photo.

Edited by athawk11 - 28 Feb. 2017 at 11:53pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:12am
That looks exactly like what i have.  yeah you have to feel around to get that back one  :)

I will go after the pump tomorrow. since i had to order new springs for the distributer i have time to wait.
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 1:55am
49 parts book states Aluminum Oil Pump after engine serial #163075 so that would be sometime in the 48 model year.
willys jeep
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:37am
I do have a 48 so that would make sense
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 1:12am
Interesting thread!  Thanks.
Please, post how it comes out.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:50am
I got the pump out tonight. A wooden dowel and rubber mallet did the trick.
No corrosion. clean for the most part.
I made a new gasket
re-clocked the pump to allow the Distributer to point to #1.

Thanks for the help.
Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 2:06am
And that ladies and gentlemen is how you do that!Thumbs Up
Is the dizzy back in now? Keep us in the loop. Finding the UFO in the
dizzy shaft before destruction is a good omen, the part is a talisman..
Good luck charm..  
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 2:10am
I was hoping to get it together tonight. But i have to wait for the new mechanical advance springs to come in. Go figure that i ordered them from Kaiserwillys that is an hour from me, and the parts had to get shipped to atlanta and then to me. 2 days  oh well at least i have a plan.

Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
DanStew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanStew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 2:20am

Dan Stewart

1948 CJ2a
1991 Wrangler
 Post Reply Post Reply