Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T-90 Transmission Shifting Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-90 Transmission Shifting Problem
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:39am
Just had my T-90 completely rebuilt and took it for a ride.  When I tried to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it wouldn't go into 3rd.  When it finally did, it ground the gears.  Once it went into 3rd, it seemed to work fine.  This problem occurred every time I shifted from 2nd to 3rd.

Any ideas about what is wrong?

It's going back to the mechanic next week.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:48am
Completely rebuilt? New input gear bearing? New 2&3 synchronizer assembly? Did whoever rebuild it look at the shift tower, especially the 2&3 shift fork?

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 1:51am
Do you have a list of the parts that were replaced?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 4:12am
Is it difficult to shift 2nd to 3rd, beyond the grinding part?  Was the pilot bushing in the flywheel replaced?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 5:15am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Is it difficult to shift 2nd to 3rd, beyond the grinding part?  Was the pilot bushing in the flywheel replaced?

Curious as to your thought process on this one mbullism.  Why ask about the pilot bushing?  Does the output shaft come out of the bushing when shifting between 2nd and 3rd.

jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 6:05am
Everything in the transmission was replaced except the main shaft, along with the clutch (complete).  I don't know if the pilot bushing was replaced.

Also, the front felt seal was replaced with a sealed bearing to eliminate the oil leak.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Curious as to your thought process on this one mbullism.  Why ask about the pilot bushing?  Does the output shaft come out of the bushing when shifting between 2nd and 3rd.

When you step on the clutch you release the disk, an the input shaft in a worn bushing is largely unsupported.  Not knowing anything about the "rebuild" or the parts used the thought would be the unsupported shaft and alignment at the syncro hub.  In all honesty, my gut guess is on the syncro dog springs being too stiff or the ends too long... the  last new ones I got wouldn't let me shift it on the bench, and they went in the trash

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2017 at 5:10pm
I would probably pull the top and inspect the synchronizer dogs.  (The 3 small keys on the synchro hub assembly)   A few people here have reported that the 'ears' that capture the wire spring will break off easily...on brand new ones.  There are good dogs...and bad dogs.Smile 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2017 at 7:10am
Are the bearing rollers between the input shaft and the output shaft actually in place and not in the bottom of the tranny case?  I can tell you from sad experience that if the rollers aren't in where they should be, you can have much trouble shifting into high gear.  That caused me to go into the tranny for a third time in 1980...  Cry 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Digger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2017 at 3:43am
I agree with the Spring pawls. I rebuilt my trans. And was almost impossible to move. I ended up ordering a complete synchro hub from Novak.
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:43pm
Thanks for all the ideas.  It goes back to the mechanic Friday.
 Post Reply Post Reply