Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Resurrection of CJ2-26

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 8:05pm
I might add that when Fred winched CJ2-26 onto his trailer behind the welding shop he was very environmentally conscious.

When I visited the site 15 years after he bought the Jeep, nary a blade of grass or cactus had been disturbed. The rich soil had been  preserved by the high iron oxide and sulphur content left behind from years of exposure to rust and gear lube. (must not have used GL1...)

I'm still hoping that the original engine and tailgate show up. Stranger things have happened.
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 12:21am

Disassembly of CJ2-26

During the past 19 years CJ2-26 has been safely stored out of the weather underneath a shed roof on my property, as seen here. It was now time to move her.

My good friend Lou will be doing the body repairs and paint work to make her look great, while I will rebuild the axles, transmission and transfer case and assemble and install the engine after machining. Rather than pull out the ramps to unload the jeep, Lou used his forklift for convenience.  Easy as orange pie!

For disassembly we moved CJ2-26 into a very well lit outbuilding at Lous place.

The weather has been very cooperative and mild this winter in Colorado. Since late December I have averaged two days a week at his place, slowly disassembling CJ2-26. The building has a double 55 gallon drum stove, so if it is going to be cold I will advise Lou I will be there the next day and he fires up the stove early in the morning. Toasty!

Disassembly has been a slow process. I take many photos to document the wiring, the orientation of bolts, etc., and other small details. Every bolt or screw is very rusty, and I have gone through two large spray cans of Kroil to loosen them, then twist them in and out multiple times to clean off the threads before final removal. Every part is bagged and tagged along with its attaching hardware.

It took two days laying on this comfortable mat to right-handedly remove all the rusted-in instruments and switches from the dashboard.

We are nearing the point where we can lift off the body so I can begin removing the drive train. Progress is slow but steady. Smile

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 1:54pm
Hey Fred, did WILLYS use an MB windshield and then weld in the JEEP moniker or was it actually stamped? I ask because your last photo gives the impression it was an added extra to the windshield.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Hey Fred, did WILLYS use an MB windshield and then weld in the JEEP moniker or was it actually stamped? I ask because your last photo gives the impression it was an added extra to the windshield.

Hi Damar2yxr:

All 20 preproduction civilian jeeps had JEEP actually stamped into their MB windshield panel, both sides of the hood and into the raised pad top center on the tailgate. What you see in the nearby photo is the remnants of plaster-of paris when I made a 3-D casting of the stamped JEEP for Jpet's use in making my tailgate. I made a cardboard dam around the sunken (from this backside) stamping and filled it in with the plaster for the 3-D casting.

Since then Todd Paisley had a guy with a portable hand-held scanner scan (with lasers I presume) the JEEP stamping on his jeep CJ2-37 to plot its contours. Jeff hopes to use that scan to machine out the JEEP stamping to be welded into my reproduction JEEP tailgate. At least that's the plan today.  

Edited by Fred Coldwell - 22 Feb. 2017 at 2:12am
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 6:21pm
Fred, how many with the "Jeep" stampings are found or known?. Few would be my guess. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 6:24pm
Hey Fred, are you a contributor to this website? I've been checking it out for years.
http://www.willys-overland.com/
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 6:39pm
Oilly - 3 that I know of.

Two were at the Hudson meet 2 years ago.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Oilly - 3 that I know of.

Two were at the Hudson meet 2 years ago.

Wow. Fred is the guy to have one too! I'm just amazed. So, Fred, original color? I think I saw solid wheels on it too.  
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Oilly - 3 that I know of.  Two were at the Hudson meet 2 years ago.

Wow. Fred is the guy to have one too! I'm just amazed. So, Fred, original color? I think I saw solid wheels on it too.

Hi John; 

Joe Friday is correct. There are only 3 known CJ-2 stamped JEEPs. The two at the Hudson, Ohio meet 2 years ago were Andrews CJ2-32 from New York and Todd Paisleys CJ2-37 from Maryland. I took my Agrijeep CJ2-09 and did not have room on my single vehicle flatbed trailer to also take CJ2-26, which was inoperable.

The original color on CJ2-26 is Harvest Tan seen on the firewall in the engine compartment. The ugly orange overcoat was a later paint job. It had at least one solid disc wheel when I bought it that should be the CJ size, 4.50 inches wide by 16 inch diameter. By contrast, the Agrijeep CJ2-09 has 5 slightly narrower solid disc wheels used on the MA and very early MB jeeps, 4.00 inches wide by 16 inch diameter. Over the decades I have collected enough 4.50 by 16 inch solid disc wheels to have a full set for CJ2-26. They will be painted Sunset Red, which is an orange color, set off with a thin black pinstripe, very pretty! Smile  

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Hey Fred, are you a contributor to this website? I've been checking it out for years: http://www.willys-overland.com/ 

Hi Nick:

Not directly, only indirectly. That is Todd Paisleys web site and I have only contributed photos and information that Todd typed up and posted. It is the best reference source about all known CJ-2 jeeps plus, of course, many other Willys-Overland matters.  

Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 12:21am
Hi Fred.  Nice to see you restoring CJ2-26!  Can't wait to see it done!  I am hoping that Jeff will be able to start a similar thread for CJ2-16!

The scan that I gave Jeff was done via 3D scanning.  I have some photos of them doing this here:

I had them scan the entire body and some miscellaneous CJ-2A stuff while they were at it.

What is interesting is that all the surviving ones have been Harvest Tan even though the photos show Pasture Green!
Todd Paisley

1941 MB-100063 - MB Factory Test Mule
1942 MB-123136 - Earliest Documented "Civilian" Test Jeep
1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

So by the looks of the instruments, the pre-production CJ-2's all had an MB type speedometer with trip counter which was not carried over to CJ-2A production. Too bad. Did 09 still have one intact when you bought her ?

Hi autolite:

That's a very good question you asked. The first place I look for an answer is the Willys factory Bill of Materials (BOM) for the CJ-2, which is the factory list of parts identifying every part used to make those jeeps. Each page in the BOM is dated in its lower left hand corner.

The pages for the first 20 Agrijeeps [CJ2-01 to CJ2-20] were initially typed in August and September 1944 and bear dates from those months. The first pages for the preproduction civilian jeeps stamped JEEP initially were typed in October 1944. 

In BOM Group 13, Instruments, 4 of the 5 pages are all dated 10-24-44, which tells me they were all completely retyped anew for the stamped CJ-2 jeeps. The earlier pages that identified the Instruments used in the first 20 Agrijeeps were discarded and replaced by these newly typed stamped JEEP pages. So I cannot tell from the BOM which type of speedometer was used in CJ2-09, or in any other Agrijeep.

Group 13, page 2 of 5, which lists the speedometer, was retyped in its entirety on 11-16-44, so is a later dated page that does not list the speedometer initially used on 10-24-44. Instead, it lists speedometer assembly complete W.O. #640131, which is the CJ-2A speedometer assembly without the odometer. Either King-Seeley speedometer part #40901 or Auto-Lite speedometer part #10690-A can be used as optional speedometers under W.O. civilian part #640131.

But as you see in my photos, the rusted out speedometer in CJ2-26 has the trip odometer as found in the speedometers used in the Willys MB military jeeps. One for one.

So the next place I look is at contemporary photos of the jeeps themselves. I have the original photo from which the colorized drawing shown in my very first post was made. By scanning that photo in a very high resolution, it shows an odometer in the speedometer in that stamped CJ-2 jeep. Two for two.

Next, from the Hudson, Ohio jeep meet two years ago, I have photos of the instrument panels in Andrews stamped JEEP CJ2-32:

. . . and Todds stamped JEEP CJ2-37:

Both photos clearly show an odometer present in both speedometers.  Three for three and four for four. 

So I now believe that every CJ-2 stamped JEEP had a MB type speedometer that included an odometer on its face. 

When I bought CJ2-09 it had been restored using many parts from a very early CJ-2A Universal jeep.  The speedometer in CJ2-09 when purchased was a CJ type without an odometer.  I believe it originally had a MB type speedometer with an odometer when first built.

Thanks for asking your interesting question, which caused me to conduct some research to answer it and clarify my restoration thinking about CJ2-26.  
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 4:54pm
Thanks Fred for the response. You are very concise on the info. Hope you get CJ-2 #26 looking as good as your CJ-2 #09. Have a great day.
willys jeep
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 6:16pm
Well, I never thought I'd find a discussion about speedometers interesting ... Fred, you're wonderful!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 10:14pm
Fred,

Thanks for sharing the progress of your project - an amazing piece of Jeep history. I look forward to tracking your restoration.

Dave L.
Todd Paisley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Paisley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 12:44am
Hi Fred.  CJ2-09 did have a speedometer originally with a odometer. Here is a photo of it before it was restored:

When Charles Ellis restored CJ2-09, he used the speedometer from CJ2A-10068.  He told me why he did it, but I don't remember!

CJ2-16 also has an odometer.  (I actually have photos of the 1944 date code on it but I can't find it right now):

For the other ones:

CJ2-03's was replaced when the CJ2A body was put on it.

CJ2-04 had one:

CJ2-06 had one:

CJ2-11's was replaced:

CJ2-12's was missing.

CJ2-14 had one:

CJ2-29 is unknown.  Lost track of that owner!
Todd Paisley

1941 MB-100063 - MB Factory Test Mule
1942 MB-123136 - Earliest Documented "Civilian" Test Jeep
1944 CJ2-12 - X36
1944 CJ2-16 - X40
1945 CJ2-37 - X61
1945 CJ2A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 2:24am
Per Fred's description...

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 2:59pm
Interesting speedometer discussion. How does one re-set the tripmeter? I don't see a button or knob.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2017 at 3:38pm
There is a shaft that is on the back of the case with a knob that you turn.
willys jeep
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>