Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Submarine Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 4:44am
Second to last update for spring break 2017. Work has taken most of my time.

Do I keep the hydraulically assisted clutch setup, or make my own linkage? I can't decide if its worth redoing. My concern is submerging another cylinder. More to go wrong. Thoughts welcome.

And the generator is pretty close to the reservoir. I'm not sure if it generates heat out the back, but I'd probably relocate the reservoir (and buy new cylinders).

I looked at a greasy mess.

Then...
I killed it.

The powerpack is cool. Yank everything out of the vehicle without separation.

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 4:33am
Last update until May. The engine smoke will blind and choke everyone in a 20 foot radius. I'm gonna have to do a valve job. Here's a video of this week's progress:

All that remains...

Shocks were shot. But not as shot as those bushings!

Rear drums didn't look bad, but I'm rebuilding with new parts. They popped right off. I'm almost mad because I fought the APU Jeep for hours, and its drum wouldn't come off. But my backwoods Jeep was ready to go.

Edited by Nick_ - 21 Mar. 2017 at 4:51am
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2017 at 2:44am
The good news is you dont have a military generator that requires an external regulator. You have a 24 volt alternator.
1952 m38
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:42am
What an adventure.

Rebuilt the rear brakes, and will be converting all the lugs to RH thread as LH is ridiculous to me.
Also in the process installed the "new" frame I acquired. 

After spending hours fighting the front leaf spring mounts, I discovered the whole frame was twisted. I debating repairing my original frame but found it is beginning to rot all over. A replacement is on the way from Chris in Minnesota. 

Notice how far off the leaf springs are in comparison to the hangers.

Axles were wire brushed and fitted with Chevy front disc brake conversion.

I believe the Geo Tracker conversion is the best kit on a stock Jeep, especially if you're using stock wheels. Even with a 1/4 spacer I'm slightly rubbing the caliper bolts. I'll most likely grind the edge off them. All in all, I love these beastly brakes (even if it requires some extra effort).

I also found out my piston rings are bad, which is what causes the smoke. I put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinders and went from 130 to 140 compression on the front 3 cylinders, with the rear still remaining at 130. I'll leave the engine until August and see where I'm at before I decide to rebuild before school, or a later date. I might rebuild the spare engine myself for fun.

Now I'm working on the tub to keep up motivation.

At least it looked kinda neat on 3 wheels.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:33am
Wow that's going to be awesome
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 3:04pm
Nice work Nick, love your front brakes.     

Giles
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 3:59am
Thanks for the comments Thumbs Up

Finally finished the tranny cover. It was a challenge to ride the fine line between looks and function. As the tranny sits so tall, options are limited.

I welded a plate to the M151 piece that extends to the dash, and have trim to cover the gap. It turned out great.

Every bolt has a weldnut. Easy in - easy out.
Not that we're ever going to take it out... right? Right?

And then karma strikes.

To keep my Jeep in the "super stock" class I knew it needed original-style seat frames.
Given my time constraints and fabrication skills, this is what I've come up with:

Of course there isn't a straight line on this tub. It took me hours to line each set nearly perfect.

Karma struck again - the passenger frame was completely different than the driver.

Driver: Moved bottom supports under the main tubes, rather than the standard position on top. This keeps both bottom seat cushions even. Passenger: The actual lean of the seats are different as well, this is because an original Jeep has to accommodate for the toolbox. I fixed that with a BFH.

Yes the seat back lines aren't in the same location - I found this out there's a 1" difference in back supports. But the top lips are even.

And yes a bird poo'd on my seat.

Tub primer next week?

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 11:46am
Coming along nicely
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 3:04am
Your seat frames were different because the "new" driver's seat was from a CJ-2A and the other one is (was) a driver's seat frame from either an M-38 or a CJ-3A.  There's a fair bit of difference between them.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 24 June 2017 at 3:21am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 5:09am
Thanks guys for both the motivation and information. I enjoy reading the comments.
We have monumental progress. No longer is Queen Mary a display of the rainbow... but a color of purity.

Overall it came out great! There's definitely some wavy areas (to be expected). The shovel, axe, etc will hide quite a bit. I keep telling myself it's just a trail toy. She's gonna look like a war Jeep.

For some reason my bondo is porous? The final sanding was at 500 grit. 
After final fitment on the tub I'll use sprayable bondo to smooth the wavy lines a tick.

The tranny tunnel is a work of art. I'd say it looks factory.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 6:08am
That did turn out great! Clap The transmission tunnel does look factory. I'm sure the average person won't know that it is not.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 6:41am
Some people count rivets, some just understand the work that went into a project.
uncamonkey
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:48am
Lately it looks like everyone is prepping for Moab. Someday I'd love to get out there. Still don't have a frame, but it's supposed to be delivered absolutely for sure on Tuesday... then it's crunch time.

I'm working 60 hours a week, so I'm delegating the engine work to a buddy. The beauty of capitalism.

Dressed up the tub.

The accessories really tie together this build.

Knowing my driving style, I made reinforcement brackets for the spare tire.

'Bout 7 weeks left. Everyone start praying for me.

Edited by Nick_ - 30 June 2017 at 4:50am
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 4:49am
Not trying to rain on your parade, but your spare tire mount reinforcement brackets should span the entire height of the rear panel.  As it is, it's just mounted to sheet metal.  Look at the inside of an M-38 tailgate some time.  Even the jerry can holder should be reinforced all the way, for the sake of J-I-C (just in case). 

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 01 July 2017 at 4:51am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:51am
Yeah, I'm not going to hop on your rear end either. But as said you need to look at a MB, GPW, M38 tail end. A Cj2a tailgate was never designed to hold a tire or a gas can. Back in the day they did have some kits for moving the spare tire carrier to the rear but they involved pieces of oak that went from the top to the bottom of the tailgate. A PO decided to mount the tire carrier on my tailgate. They put in a total of 8 holes and fixing the stamping around the Jeep emblem was not fun. Every hole had cracks heading off from them. You are sort of on he right trail but you need to add about twice as much reinforcement and keep an eye on it.
uncamonkey
GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 10:45pm
ok, I've waited all day- saw this post this morning. Since no one else has commented, I LOVE the life vest in the drivers seat!  Reading your posts Nick, I have to think that was done on purpose! Well done sir!

Tub looks great and the transmission tunnel is inspired. Following along with this build and looking forward to seeing it done!

I have to suggest a "Queen Mary" life preserver ring to be included in the final details. Maybe on the hood or on the spare....
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Not trying to rain on your parade, but your spare tire mount reinforcement brackets should span the entire height of the rear panel.  As it is, it's just mounted to sheet metal.  Look at the inside of an M-38 tailgate some time.  Even the jerry can holder should be reinforced all the way, for the sake of J-I-C (just in case).  

I looked at M38 photos to judge my brackets but didn't think about extending them down. If I have time at the end I'll remake the tire mounts. The jerry can is supported through the old "tailgate" tubing on the drivers side. That was good 'nuff for me.

Quote this post when something breaks off.

Originally posted by GJCJs GJCJs wrote:

ok, I've waited all day- saw this post this morning. Since no one else has commented, I LOVE the life vest in the drivers seat!  Reading your posts Nick, I have to think that was done on purpose! Well done sir!

Tub looks great and the transmission tunnel is inspired. Following along with this build and looking forward to seeing it done!

I have to suggest a "Queen Mary" life preserver ring to be included in the final details. Maybe on the hood or on the spare....

You found the Easter egg! I laughed when I read your post. Then all day I dreamed of strapping down a life vest on the jerry can mount, and a life preserver ring "mounted" on the spare rim.

Thanks for the compliments I'm happy others appreciate this concoction.

Edited by Nick_ - 02 July 2017 at 5:12am
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 7:43am
looking great, Nick.  I don't know how you have time to work, go to school, and fabricate dream-concocted jeeps.  Ahhh, youthful vigor...Confused
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>