Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Will Make You Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Will Make You Cry
    Posted: 05 Apr. 2009 at 10:18pm
A friend of a friend was picking through a junkyard down in the 'hood of Detroit a few weeks ago. This is a fairly rough part of town. Low and behold way in the back in the restricted area next to the crusher, he found some old Jeeps.

So, this guy called a buddy of mine who in turn called me. I finally got a chance to see them for myself yesterday. The ironic part of it is, back when my dad and I were just getting into old Jeeps, somehow he found out about a guy that used flatfenders for snow plowing. He had been in business around 40 years back then around 1985. The guy was 80 I remember. We had wondered whatever happened to him and those Jeeps. You guessed it, these are they. I counted 32 yesterday. There is at least one 2A and a 3B. The rest appear to be CJ5s from the 50s to about 1970 or so. Most have front end ptos with brushes still on them, or hydraulics for V plows. The bodies are rough as you could expect, but all have factory hard tops that are in nice shape.

Another friend is trying to convince the owner of the yard to sell them to him but he's having a heck of a time. They also won't sell any parts. I think the good news is, all of us Jeep junkies in the area are going there and asking about them, so she told me they aren't going to crush them. They were originally. Sure would like to get those ptos and hydraulics.

Here are a few pictures. You'll have to excuse the barb wire- I couldn't find a good vantage point. They funny thing is, once they saw I had a camera, I was told to leave. Fortunately, I saved everything to my flash card, so when they picked through my pictures, the only saw what was saved in the camera's memory.

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 06 Apr. 2009 at 12:42pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2009 at 10:27pm
They oughta know they would be money ahead to sell them instead of crushing them......even if they had to list them on that.....auction site.

Probably what their 'pause in the proceedings' from the original plans is all about.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2009 at 10:48pm
that's parts galore in detroit. my neighbor as is the production manager at my job are both good friends of the owner of that yard. I frequent there on a regular basis. I will do my best to inquire to find out what the deal is.
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 2:16am
You got it! Wow, that's amazing. I would be interested to know what your neighbor finds out. I would just that you don't mention the pictures. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Bill
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 9:29am
WOW
Maker of the Reedkini
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 3:23pm
I don't see the Pics?
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 4:06pm
They where there yesterday...I dont see them either..looks like the post got editted !!!
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 4:10pm
I deleted them. I had no idea someone would actually know about that particular yard. I was afraid to get someone in trouble because I was not supposed to be taking pictures.

Bill
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 5:29pm
Bill, no worries. I plan to ask my neighbor today if he could ask the owner about them. rest assured I will mention nothing about you or the photos. I go there quite a bit to pick parts or just hang out for a day of scavenging. at $1 to get in and their great prices I always find something to get.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 7:14pm
Ovrlnd,

I appreciate the consideration. That said, here they are again.

I have to say that was the best organized yard I have ever been in. I wish I had known about it years ago. The hotdog vendor was quite a shock too!

Bill

ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 8:55pm
Bill, yeah it's amazing what they have there. In one day I walked out of there with

a york 210 air compressor out of ambassador $15
2 3.8l taurus fans $40
2 reclining seats out of a late model cavalier for the YJ $60
2 shifter knobs from an isuzu rodeo for the dana 300 shifters $1
1 disc/disc proportioning valve out of a zj $5
female seatbelts out of a blazer with plastic to fix the YJ front plastic $10
1 tie rod adjusting sleeve off an xj for my yj's spare tie rod $5
CS144 14amp alternator $35
Me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2009 at 9:59pm
Holy cow! I would love to have the V plow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2009 at 1:26am
I would really like to get under that V-plow and see how it works on that particular Jeep. It has two pulleys and cables on it to adjust the V. I have no idea how it was operated from the inside.

The 3B was interesting too. I distinctly remember that from when I was a kid. They narrowed it to plow on city sidewalks. It is a sight to see. That big hood looks even more odd when you take a foot out of the width.

Bill
mrkringles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrkringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2009 at 11:21am
I wonder if one of those hard tops would fit my 1954 m38a1?
John
1946 CJ2a (Finished)
1953 Willys Truck (Finished)1954 M38a1 (In progress)
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2009 at 3:49pm
Ok. I talked with my neighbor last night. I explained that I heard a rumor that they 8 mile p/g yard had a bunch of old jeeps in the crush area. I asked if he would mind contacting the yard owner and ask if I could at the least just get in with camera and document what they had before they crushed any of it or simply got rid of them, but was also interested in parts. My neighbor and I are good friends and he said not a problem, his number was at work and he would give him a shout to see what he could find out.  My neighbor is a ford mechanic/service writer and when p/g opened their second yard in detroit he got a personal tour from his connection (I was invited but happened to be busy that day). so I will let you all know if I hear something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2009 at 4:14pm
Thanks for the update. I know there is an offer on the table to buy them all, but he has not gotten a response last I heard.

Bill
RichardD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2009 at 5:42pm
::Getting back up from the floor::

Wow, what a find! That's unreal, I'm just glad that they weren't crushed!

I love the pictures, they look like spy photos with the rounded edges LOL!

Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

Thanks for the update. I know there is an offer on the table to buy them all, but he has not gotten a response last I heard.

Bill

Allright Paul, 'FES UP brother!

Be well,
Richard

Edited by RichardD - 07 Apr. 2009 at 5:46pm
'87 YJ Laredo My DD
'02 TJ X Fiancee's DD, and our Trail Rig
'65 M-416 Trailer

Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause you just never know.....
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2009 at 11:06pm
NOPE ...Not from my end....I am not home much anymore...Cry

Wouldnt mind haveing them all in my back yard though...Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>