Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time Capsule Navy CJ3A by Valentine APU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2016 at 9:31pm
I'm declaring a witch-hunt for the generator control box Thumbs Up

I went home last weekend and the APU fired right up. I'm going to convert it back to 6V and see which of the gauges/lights still work. Part of me is considering a restoration after college. The floor needs attention, and I'd like to address the side rust before it gets too far. Since all the parts are here and in good shape I believe this would be an easy task (compared to my last one).
Would that be wrong, or should I leave it as-is?

A little model I found online demonstrating jet-starting. Pretty neat!

Edited by Nick_ - 29 Mar. 2017 at 9:36pm
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2016 at 10:15pm
Witch hunt for the control box: 1 step closer

We're 99% sure the Jack and Heintz (assembly drawing # GC23-20) control box for my NA-4 is the same one as Jerry's O.E. Szekely 3-wheeler. The dimensions are a nearly perfect match to the yellow spot on my fender. We both have DC powered generators.

I'm getting a bit smarter on how to find historic pictures of the APU's. The trick is to not look for the APU's themselves... but rather specific jets, aircraft carriers, bases, and home photo albums from the Korean War. The video below I found in a Flikr album simply called "Uncle Bill's Photos"

NA-4 at the "Crash of a Grumman F9F-2 Panther (BuNo 123428) of VF-71 at NAAS Charlestown, RI, on Runway 30"

NA-4 was the Jeep used to test the prototype Convair XFY.

Late note: I've found tons of pictures with MB's on aircraft carriers... with the windshields removed. My theory of mine being converted to carrier duty is a bit more supported.

Edited by Nick_ - 27 Oct. 2016 at 10:26pm
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2016 at 10:37pm
I MOVED AND STARTED MORE THAN MY FAIR SHARE OF AIRCRAFT WHEN I WAS IN THE NAVY BUT
NEVER SAW ANYTHING LIKE THOSE, I WILL HAVE ASK MY DAD WHO SERVED OVER TWENTY YEARS
IN THE NAVY AND WORKS ON SOME OF THOSE PLANES IN YOUR PHOTO TO SEE IF HE EVER USED ONE.
COOL JEEP DUDE
A-7, F-4, A-4, A-5, F4U, OR SOME OF THE PLANES BETWEEN ME AND MY DAD (HE WORKED
ON A FEW OTHERS BUT I DON'T REMEMBER THE NAMES)
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 2:29am
. Part of me is considering a restoration after college. The floor needs attention, and I'd like to address the side rust before it gets too far. Since all the parts are here and in good shape I believe this would be an easy task (compared to my last one).
Would that be wrong, or should I leave it as-is?
First of all it's your jeep so you can do whatever you want. But......
If you restore it ,it'll never be the same,there's NOTHING like original .
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 4:05am
My vote doesn't count for anything but keep it as original as you can. I sort of made that mistake on my MB. Side rust depends on how good of a welder you are and if you can match the paint color. As you know, it is a BTDT thing.
uncamonkey
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2016 at 12:47pm
I'm glad you're keeping it. I think it's in good hands.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2016 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

I WILL HAVE ASK MY DAD WHO SERVED OVER TWENTY YEARS
IN THE NAVY AND WORKS ON SOME OF THOSE PLANES IN YOUR PHOTO TO SEE IF HE EVER USED ONE. COOL JEEP DUDE

That would be great! I'm on the search for veteran stories while the oral history is still available.

Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

If you restore it ,it'll never be the same,there's NOTHING like original .  

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

My vote doesn't count for anything but keep it as original as you can. Side rust depends on how good of a welder you are and if you can match the paint color.

I've been pretty good at hiding the rust in my photography. Here you can see the sides have developed complete rust-through holes.

The sidestep is being claimed by mother nature, progressing up the tub. 

We're about to start missing 2 inches of body.

The front floor isn't too far from becoming The Flintstones. I believe the modified hole for the PTO wasn't painted very well. Rust probably started here and is working its way across.
Ignore that metal rod. The gas pedal rusted apart and needs fixed.

There's about no paint left on the chassis. Every time I drive it I swear it leaves a pile of yellow paint on the ground.

Here is my argument pro-restoration:
1. Original military paint is neat. But if the Jeep isn't saved now, it will reach a point where it'll have more replacement metal than original.

2. I have yet to find a museum willing to display the Jeep. Every, every single one "doesn't have room" which I don't blame. If you walk around museums, they're filled with restored artifacts that are pleasing to the eyes. Tough to say but the paint was not preserved enough to last. Especially with all the ocean salt.

3. It'll be the same Jeep with the same history - just visually pleasing. I'd spend months tracing hood numbers, surplus writings, slowly stripping paint for other stenciling, and organizing each nut and bolt. All parts will remain original but just painted. Same color scheme and tiny wheels.

Edited by Nick_ - 29 Mar. 2017 at 10:15pm
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2016 at 12:52pm
Nick you have a nice unique jeep.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 10:13pm
It's been a while since I've been on this thread - and I haven't ran the Jeep since September. I find collecting memorabilia & research the most fun part. I have yet to install that cleaned gas tank, but I can spend hours digging through archives.

Late one night I was playing on eBay looking at governors. The description of one in particular caught my eye, stating it was from a "flight line Jeep." Of course I had to save it.
O'Keefe and Merritt, similar to the WWII generators.

Then I asked the guys at QTM where it came from. Luck has it, they had a junked APU. I noticed it was a CJ3A and had missing data tags, and holes for the extra gauges.

They no longer had the data tags, but installed them on a customer's restoration years ago. The Jeep was painted blue and had a Navy theme.

Many phone calls later, I tracked down the owner and made arrangements.

It turns out these are from a CJ3A with an M38 firewall tag, serial MC 35035. It's a 1951. Which means... Szkeley was building a model R2 at the same time Valentine built the NA-4.
The puzzle just gets bigger.

I've also collected misc little things.

This is grease used between the splines of the generator and drive. Made by the manufacturer of my generator.

The world is divided on the direction of this Jeep, so I haven't touched it. But collecting memorabilia makes everyone happy Thumbs Up Now if I can find a 3 wheeler to play with...
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 1:56am
woah, that's very cool!  Thanks for sharing :)

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 3:03pm
Served in the USN, 61 - 65. Was aboard CVA-62, CVA-59 and CVA-64. On these carriers, there was auxiliary elect. power for starting planes available thru perimeter deck mounted stations. These little Jeeps were used when the planes were too far for the starter cables to reach. Saw plenty of these in my time as an F-8 Crusader plane captain & flite deck troubleshooter. Wasn't much into jeeps in those days. Good luck with your " piece " of history. Mike.

AD, A3D, A-4, A-6, F-3, F-4, TF, WF, were the planes aboard in my time as I recollect. 

Edited by mictat2214 - 30 Mar. 2017 at 3:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 3:10pm

Here ya' go. I was aboard the Forrestal when this photo was taken. We were on the way back to the States after a 6 month deployment to the Med. Click below.

A1-H SKYRAIDERS CVA-59.jpg 

Notice the F-8 Crusader in the background. The nose of an A-4 is visible along side the F-8.The A1-H was originally designated AD.

Edited by mictat2214 - 30 Mar. 2017 at 3:16pm
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 7:55pm
Nice photo of the power cart jeep with the Skyraider. That is one of the later versions that began with the three wheeled kind like mine. They morphed into a four wheeler with two smaller rear wheels placed further out to each side.
Keep this stuff coming!
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
dek thorne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek thorne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 8:23pm
If I were u I would restore it. It a cool piece of history that sadly is to far gone(in my opinion) to be left alone. I would fix it but not touch the hood. I would leave that alone and modify one to look the same and paint it with the rest of Jeep. And display the original with it. Just my thought.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by mictat2214 mictat2214 wrote:

Here ya' go. I was aboard the Forrestal when this photo was taken. We were on the way back to the States after a 6 month deployment to the Med. Click below.
A1-H SKYRAIDERS CVA-59.jpg 

Notice the F-8 Crusader in the background. The nose of an A-4 is visible along side the F-8.The A1-H was originally designated AD.

Thanks for sharing! I found a couple other pictures on that site. Did you happen to take any pictures of your own, or have any stories to share?

Originally posted by dek thorne dek thorne wrote:

If I were u I would restore it. It a cool piece of history that sadly is to far gone(in my opinion) to be left alone. I would fix it but not touch the hood. I would leave that alone and modify one to look the same and paint it with the rest of Jeep. And display the original with it. Just my thought.
That's a fantastic idea.

I'm a bit jealous of Jerry and his 3-wheeler (ok maybe alot). I often dream about whipping one sideways, but my world searches have left me empty. I want one bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 2:08pm
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:53am
Today marks a shift in APU Jeep history.

The great-grandson of Valentine was sitting at work one day. He peered over his desk, and decide to Google the family name. Just for fun. This very thread appeared in his search results. Who knew one of those Jeeps survived? And someone was researching them? Apparently his family members didn't know much about these Jeeps, and he learned more from this thread than anyone ever talked about. We've been in close contact for a few months. He visited his mother's house to look for old paperwork. Lucky for me, there was a particular secretary at Valentine who kept files clean and organized. Long story short, I am now the caretaker of the Valentine factory archives. It's an honor.

As if that wasn't enough to make me faint, I decided to look through the original Valentine NA-4 manual. Huh... there's an overview of the assembled Jeep. Check out that hood number. Wait a minute...

That's MY Jeep! Matches my hood numbers and data tag! My Jeep is the manual showgirl.
This Jeep found me, and these archives found me. I think it's fate. 

At the moment I can't top the hype of that spectacular information.
Actually... I can.

See exhibit A: dozens of original APU press photos.

Exhibit B: We've gone beyond the APU. Take a step back and look at the airborne WWII prototype. Which I also have the manual for. I need to post this stuff on G503.

Exhibit C: How about the welding equipment on the CJ2 prototype?

I only took a few pictures. I'm terrified of physically flipping through these documents. I need to scan everything to my computer. The APU manuals are stapled and can be easily scanned. However as seen in the first picture, some of this stuff is in books which I'm unsure how to approach. I'd like to share these for everyone to enjoy. I have everything from pics of the Valentine machine shop to WWII welding equipment. If anyone wants to share tactics, I'm all ears.

Pictures of books here

It's only Wednesday. This isn't the last trick up my sleeve.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:53am
Very cool stuff Nick!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>