Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for TBI on my L134 in my CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2016 at 2:01am
That adapter is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2016 at 1:31am
Can you post some photos of the distributor that came with the kit?

Thanks!!!
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2016 at 3:27am
Can someone inform me what a TBI is? Thanks, Gary.
gostby
Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2016 at 3:40am
TBI is Throttle Body Injection. It uses a throttle body in place of a carb. One or more fuel injectors are in the throttle body and spray atomized fuel on top of the throttle plate. It uses all the typical sensors to determine how much fuel to spray. Most engines today use port fuel injection which has an injector for each cylinder.
48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 1:06am
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 1:10am
I just ordered a cheap reproduction distributor and shipped it to Hamilton Fuel Injection. He worked his electronic sorcery, changed the guts, and now its set up for electronic ignition.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 1:19am
Originally posted by P-Mo P-Mo wrote:

I just ordered a cheap reproduction distributor and shipped it to Hamilton Fuel Injection. He worked his electronic sorcery, changed the guts, and now its set up for electronic ignition.

Thanks! Do you know what components he installed on the inside? Are they off-the-shelf parts or something custom?
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Thanks! Do you know what components he installed on the inside? Are they off-the-shelf parts or something custom?

Excellent question Bob, I'd hate to be on the road with troubles and no readily available parts.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2016 at 5:54am
Probably has the electronic module and the Hall's effect sensor. If so, then it is just like the Petronix or the Omix electronic distributor (which is what I have). I had the same concerns as Lee mentioned, i.e., spare parts on the trail. Everyone carries extra points and condensers, but electronic modules? Nope. You will be on your own there. I was going to carry an extra electronic module (~$65) but then realized what if it was the Hall's effect sensor? I haven't seen that listed as a spare part so I wouldn't be able to have full backup parts for electronic ignition unless I carried a complete extra distributor. So that's what I do, except it's a complete distributor with points and condenser.   

Post some pics of the new electronic ignition innards. I'd like to see what was installed just to compare.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2016 at 7:46pm
Excellent point on spare parts, I will try and grab some pics of the innards. I was just assuming it was the same setup with the Pertronix kit as I was running in my 6 volt set up. I am also going to call Hamilton fuel injection and talk to him about what he put in it. I will report back on my findings.....
Bill usn-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill usn-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2017 at 2:26am
Since there hasn't been any updates for a little while, let me try to fill in some gaps.
All my systems are designed around off the shelf parts for serviceability.
I use my vehicles year round from sea level to 14K ft in CO so I need them to work any time any where.
I also started this while still in the Navy so I have driven all over Europe with the system.
I chose to use external mounted pumps for just those reasons.
Dropping a tank on the side of the road or trail is not my idea of fun.
5 min to swap a quick disconnect inline pump.
The pump I use is from the early 90s ford F250 and is frame mounted.
Been running the same pump for 15yrs.

The distr is converted to a Variable reluctance/magnetic pickup to match the correct GM HEI signal required for computer controlled timing.
The system is a complete fuel and ignition upgrade.
So yes, it may be expensive but it is a complete fuel and ignition upgrade.
There is no mech or vacuum adv in the distr.

Patrick's issues.
Adapter fit.
Not sure of the specifics but the adapters are CNC machined. If I need to add some additional play, I can. The tolerances are kept pretty tight based on listed specs.
I also already had a riser that I use for the F and L 134 to raise the adapter off the manifold. This was discussed with Patrick but he mentioned he had a "hook up" at a machine shop and wanted to build his own. His choice.

You can see the 53 F134 here.
It runs the stock tank.
I removed the drain plug and use that for the feed.
I then use the pickup as the return.
No additional plumbing required.
Needs a vented cap.

The supplied tune is based on the factory specs.
I also supply the data logging cable and software with the kit to allow the owner to drive and log data where he lives.
That data will allow me to customize the tune for his engine, where he lives.
That allows the computer the maximum adjustability as you drive in different weather, altitude and the engine wears.

I don't have much free time to visit all the web sites, so if you have specific questions, just email or call me.
360 969-2925

Edited by Bill usn-1 - 16 Jan. 2017 at 2:40am
Hamilton Fuel Injection
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 3:31am
For those who have a JP Magazine collection, the issue where EFI was installed on Verne Simons' L-134 was Jan. '02.  It is my understanding that he has long since exchanged the Go-Devil for a V-6. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 3:13pm

Thanks Bill, for all of the great info and pics. I do apologize for the delay in getting it up and running, but I was waiting for a crucial part your very complete kit did not provide, time! I will get back at it this week and hope to fire her up very soon. Next time you are in my next of the woods, I would enjoy getting together and showing you how it turned out. Thank you again for providing such a great product.

P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 3:30pm
Also, I would like to state for the record that Bill has great customer service, running an in tank pump was a personal choice for me, and there was nothing wrong with the frame mount pump that came with kit. I forget now why the throttle body adapter that came with the kit did not fit, I think the mounting bolts on the intake were narrower than the adapter and the intake hole was smaller. I have never owned an F134, but I am guessing the intake mounting differs from the L134. Bill was very helpful and did offer to make or re-machine the adapter to fit at no addition charge, but I did volunteer to be a guinee pig at the local machine shop with their new fancy water cutting space age machine that is bigger than my house. Can anybody comment on if the mounting on intakes differ from a L134 to a F134?

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Bill usn-1 Bill usn-1 wrote:

It is really not expensive considering everything that is included. But I think most people will find it difficult to justify the cost for an upgrade to something that is working okay as is.

Would you mind explaining how the Chrysler reluctor is attached to the Willys distributor shaft?

Thanks!!!
P-Mo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 5:15am
I was able to find some time today to complete the install of the kit and get it all wired up. Turned the key to on to charge the fuel system, stepped on the floor starter, then it fired right up! I was amazed how fast and smooth it started. The new 12 volt starter gets the job done. Next I will need to try and get it timed and all set to get it out on its first road test.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill usn-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 6:58am

I was able to find some time today to complete the install of the kit and get it all wired up. Turned the key to on to charge the fuel system, stepped on the floor starter, then it fired right up! I was amazed how fast and smooth it started. The new 12 volt starter gets the job done. Next I will need to try and get it timed and all set to get it out on its first road test.
Make sure to complete the initial setup procedures around pg 14 in the manual and then load up the data logging software and drivers per the separate booklet!
Data is always good to see.
I visit CO every year for some trail runs,. Will be in Kremmling this year 14-17 Jul at the fair grounds.
I also provide EFI seminars at the show.

Where are you at?
Hamilton Fuel Injection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill usn-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2017 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Originally posted by Bill usn-1 Bill usn-1 wrote:

It is really not expensive considering everything that is included. But I think most people will find it difficult to justify the cost for an upgrade to something that is working okay as is.

Would you mind explaining how the Chrysler reluctor is attached to the Willys distributor shaft?

Thanks!!!

I turn the lobes off the shaft on my lathe and then drill and tap the reluctor for a SS set screw.
I use blue loc-tite as added insurance.
Hamilton Fuel Injection
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>