Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips and Tricks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by PhillipM PhillipM wrote:

Welding stores have bare steel welding rods that are better than coathangers.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that coat hangers were any better than welding rods (obviously an alloy made to do the job is the best choice) was just referring to ol' school methods that work.

Plus the fact that you can get a handful of them out of most any attic in America. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by PhillipM PhillipM wrote:

Welding stores have bare steel welding rods that are better than coathangers.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that coat hangers were any better than welding rods (obviously an alloy made to do the job is the best choice) was just referring to ol' school methods that work.

Plus the fact that you can get a handful of them out of most any attic in America. Wink

Personally, I prefer baling wire, but like a lot of things, it's getting hard to find. I'm fortunate to have a fair supply on hand, though.     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by lmontycj2a lmontycj2a wrote:

TIP: If you get bitten by a poisonous spider, drink as much whole milk as you can on you way to the Doctor. (I was told at least a gallon of milk)Sick 
I've heard this is impossible, you can't keep a gallon of milk down. A co-worker can confirm this personally! You could always try. Wink
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
lmontycj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmontycj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Originally posted by lmontycj2a lmontycj2a wrote:

TIP: If you get bitten by a poisonous spider, drink as much whole milk as you can on you way to the Doctor. (I was told at least a gallon of milk)Sick 
I've heard this is impossible, you can't keep a gallon of milk down. A co-worker can confirm this personally! You could always try. Wink

I know I didn't  keep it down.LOL
'46 #38141
'46 Bantam
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 8:47pm
Ok I'll bite are you serious about the milk? How does it help?
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
49willyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49willyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 8:49pm
If you're welding in patch panels and you've expanded/warped your sheet metal (oil canned) you can "shrink" it back down using a map gas torch to heat the highest point. Once it is glowing, use a waffle body hammer with a dolly on the back side and start with the highest point hammering outwards from center in all directions. Once you've done this a couple times cool the metal down quickly with a cold wet rag. If you still get a bit of oil canning, tap the metal up or down- which ever is preferable- and tap with your hammer at the outter most part of the surface. Usually a break or rolled/hemmed edge. Tap around all edges in the area. This should help the metal to retain it's up or down position and stop the oil canning back and forth. On to your body work to fill in low spots.
Hunt4em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 8:54pm
As a newbie, I have to pass on the best tip I know to my fellow newbies. Learn to use the "search" feature on this great forum. I have found the answer to most every question I have had and even some answers to questions I had not thought of yet.

John
lmontycj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmontycj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

Ok I'll bite are you serious about the milk? How does it help?

I didn't ask the Doctor how it helps.
Doc said a gallon.
'46 #38141
'46 Bantam
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Hunt4em Hunt4em wrote:

As a newbie, I have to pass on the best tip I know to my fellow newbies. Learn to use the "search" feature on this great forum. I have found the answer to most every question I have had and even some answers to questions I had not thought of yet.

John

THE NEW GUY GETS THE HAINES GARAGE Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up   No 5'er yet but your really close!

That's the best tip here I have ever heard you are going to be a General someday! (Like Forrest Gump Movie)LOL

Joshuatwatson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 1:36am
As for the milk trick.. Try it!! You'll puke!! Lol..

And the newbie.. Well said! That's a pretty good trick whether you've had a Willys one day or 100 years!!
www.RealDealRealty.com
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Hunt4em Hunt4em wrote:

John

Google works better for me.  Just type in what you want to know and then a space and site:www.thecj2apage.com 

It especially works well with the chrome browser since I just type the above in the address bar.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 4:15am
i think that a BIG drink of jim bean would work better.LOLLOL
Beer
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Hunt4em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 4:45am
Thanks HG, I'll take 4 any day and especially for my first.

John
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 5:41am
Type into YouTube the gallon challenge. A gallon of milk is a hard thing to keep down.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 5:47am
I  am with Dennis Beer  J B
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2012 at 2:09pm
try the cinnamon challege too...
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2012 at 4:42pm
I'm sure these are pretty elementary to most but:
1.) Seems like half my P.B. Blaster/etc. usually ends up where I don't want it or on the floor. I use a saturated paper towel wrapped around the offending part and a rubber band, twist tye, etc. to hold it in place.
Easy to "re-saturate", stays wet longer and wastes a lot less of the good juice.

2.) Those little torches wives use to melt sugar on desserts work really well for heating nuts, bolts, etc. in tight spots. Very concentrated. Just don't let her catch you at it! Angry Ermm 
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 4:49am
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

I'm sure these are pretty elementary to most but:
1.) Seems like half my P.B. Blaster/etc. usually ends up where I don't want it or on the floor. I use a saturated paper towel wrapped around the offending part and a rubber band, twist tye, etc. to hold it in place.
Easy to "re-saturate", stays wet longer and wastes a lot less of the good juice.

2.) Those little torches wives use to melt sugar on desserts work really well for heating nuts, bolts, etc. in tight spots. Very concentrated. Just don't let her catch you at it! Angry Ermm 

Good Tip Kilroy! The PB BLASTER is a staple at Haines Garage, I do waste a lot. Thanks I will try that!Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>