Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tire size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 2:41pm
This is just an opinion so take it FWIW.

I like the NDTs because they immediately make a Willis appear "stock", at least to the uneducated even if they are bigger than 600-16, but regardless of what tread style you choose, the trick to making these jeeps look "stock" is to use narrow tires. IMO, this is more important than diameter. To me, a 33" tall tire that is narrow, looks more "stock", or "vintage", than a 30" tire that is 10" wide. Make sense? Again, this is my personal observation. Mileage may vary on what the definition of "stock look" means.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 3:17pm
Yes, I agree.....that's what I was saying before. In my eyes (my opinion) I can't think of ANY tire that is going to "look stock" on an 8inch wheel.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:23pm
A 30" to 31" tall tire should actually improve speedometer accuracy if your running typical speedometer gears with 5.38 differential ratio.

I will go so far as to claim that the "STOCK LOOK" is more about tire width than tread design or diameter.

For the Skinny look its all about the tires aspect ratio. 
No modern tires provide a taller aspect ratio than the old numberic tires.
Numberic tire aspect ratio is roughly 95% to 100% depending on the manufacturer.
The tallest modern design tires only have an 85% aspect ratio.

Edited by oldtime - 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:28pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:25pm
most of the 15'' tires I have checked into don't have the diameter of the original 16'' tires. I apologies for not stating this correctly. I am looking for semi aggressive tires that are close to the same dia. as the original 16'' the wheel measurements were from the spooked wheels and not the steel wheels another incorrect statement. the steel wheels are 7" overall wide and 6" wide at the inside were the bead of the tire meets the wheel. sorry for the confusion.

thanks
Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:31pm
Harry, Take a look at these... but may be way too aggressive....

Edited by oldtime - 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:33pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:39pm
I am not looking for real wide tires. I think a more narrow tire is more stock appearing.but I do want a wider tire than the original stock tires with a little more offset.

Harry E
Harry Eisenhauer
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 4:50pm
......Big smile Thumbs Up .......
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Correct me if wrong, but isint a 33" as big as the rear wheel opening will allow without mods to sheet metal ?.

Lee

I bet you almost never get corrected

One does not absorb a lifetimes worth of worthless knowledge without being wrong a good share of the time!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2017 at 6:45pm
 "One does not absorb a lifetimes worth of worthless knowledge without being wrong a good share of the time!  "

Words of Wisdom! Clap  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2017 at 12:44am
ShockedShockedShocked, All this time I have been listening to  Lee and now he says he might be wrong! I'll have to see what grumpy thinks of this. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 12:54am
Dont know about stockish on a 15x8. I ran 700x16 ndts for years at around 31" I believe, looked better than the 650's. Had to try some 750x 16, a bit to tall and skinny at 33" , but then again had to try some 33x12.5x15...loved the flotation in the sand I run around in. This time around I'm gonna run some swamper trxus 31x11.5x15 on an 8 inch rim, but im not worried bout that stock look
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

ShockedShockedShocked, All this time I have been listening to  Lee and now he says he might be wrong! I'll have to see what grumpy thinks of this. Oilly

I think he's just mistaken
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 4:07am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

This is just an opinion so take it FWIW.

I like the NDTs because they immediately make a Willis appear "stock".

Willis.     

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 12:15pm
..... hmmm must have been the ..... auto ..... "correct"....
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12