Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Took the cj2a wheeling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 2:55pm
Did you have brakes after that run through the creek?Wink
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
blc3128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blc3128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 5:11pm
Awesome!
1948 CJ2A #197894
Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

"Arizona Jeep Wash". No quarters needed. LOL  Better check your diffs for water. You don't want to leave water in there for long. About $350.00 for bearings later on. 

haha yes, both diffs are getting a service! I'm actually going to be putting a locker in the front diff while I have it open. 

Originally posted by mictat2214 mictat2214 wrote:

Seems rather sad to take a classic and run it through a river. Only my humble opinion. The pics are awesome; must've been fun.

I completely understand! I"ll be honest, I've had this jeep for almost 12 years now... over half of those years it has been restored, and only driven on the street and not very often, and I got to the point where I almost resented the fact that I made it so nice that I was scared to take it off-road.. I then realized, that who cares? It's a Jeep! It belongs off road. I by no means have any intentions of abusing it or doing anything crazy with it, in fact these pictures is the worst conditions it's been in since It was restored, and it will never see anything worse than that. But with all the time and money my dad and I put into this thing, I want to enjoy it as much as I can and for me, that's out in the woods driving down a dirt road or a trail.  Everything is fixable :) 

Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

Avis,
I live about 5 minutes from Houston Mesa Rd. A flatty run would be way cool to put together. Hopefully mine will be back on the road soon. Been doing a refurb after years of being in storage. 

Very cool! I have a buddy who lives off Houston Mesa Rd as well... he goes by "Sy", owns a white toyota pick up with an LS swap on 37s..  

Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Awesome pics. I was waiting for the next picture as you nosed into that hole. Thought it would have water rolling over the hood.  

That hole scared me a bit.. won't lie lol there were only two times I was deep enough that the fan touched the water.....that was one of those times. 

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Did you have brakes after that run through the creek?Wink

I do :) They are squeaky clean. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 8:56pm
" it will never see anything worse than that."  LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2017 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

" it will never see anything worse than that."  LOL   BW

I know I know.... I even laughed a little when I typed that lol 

I am taking it to Moab in May... hence the front locker.... but only running "easy" trails Cool

Edited by Avis - 27 Feb. 2017 at 11:17pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2017 at 6:26pm
Avis,

You might consider repacking the front wheel bearings.  Over the years I have found that submerging the front hubs almost always leads to water in the front wheel bearings even with good seals.

A little grease is cheaper than replacing the bears and races - which will require you to disassemble and pack bearings also.

Be Safe Out There.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 3:19am
That's awesome that you're taking it to Moab!
It's great to see flatfenders being used
My only complaint about any of your photos, is that ugly jeep in the background,messing up perfect pictures of a awesome flatfender.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 10:28am
Just did front and rear lockers (Lockrights). A couple of things to consider: when torque is applied from the driveshafts, they lock up.  You may not be able to steer in downhill stretches especially. Some guys remove the interlock pin in the transfercase, so they can shift in and out of 4 wheel drive while on the fly. Another solution is to unlock one front hub. I put selctro style hubs on my  CJ2A because they have a spring loaded spline that will engauge it when the splines line up. The dualamatics will only engauge by hand when things line up. With the axles turning together with a locker, you may not get them in unless you roll the wheel until things line up. See where I'm going with this. On a difficult trail, rolling that wheel is impossible. Just be aware that this situation will happen. The rear locker won't bother you like the front will. Power lock differentials are a whole different type. They apparently are adjustable. I'm not familiar with these. Dana 30's can have e lockers or electric actuated. Those are probably the best. I was amazed at what that little 2A can do locked up. Might get you in trouble too! LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2017 at 1:57pm
Excellent information! Thank you for the heads up.. I purchased this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IVQNYKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am hoping to purchase one for the rear, but not sure funds will permit that before the trip. Should be a good time regardless! I've only ever wheeled Moab in full size trucks.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2017 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

My only complaint about any of your photos, is that ugly jeep in the background,messing up perfect pictures of a awesome flatfender.
Now that is funnyLOL
Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12