Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer for hauling CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer for hauling CJ2A
    Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 4:39pm
I am considering getting a trailer to haul my CJ-2A.  I want something small and lightweight, not oversized.  I am leaning toward aluminum.  Ideally, I would prefer dual axles.  I am thinking about 5.0' x 10.0' or maybe even 12.0' in length.  A small Yamaha TW200 is a future possibility.  A Honda Oddesey 1000 is also probably in the cards.  What do you have?  What do you use?  The trailer will not be used very often, and will probably see double duty for general chores, moving furniture, etc.  It will most likely sleep outside, so full aluminum construction is preferred vs. wood decked.  I have looked at Triton, Badger, Redi-Haul, none have exactly what I am after.  I am not against having a more "custom" option built for me, to my specs.  Any help?  Any local guys to you which do this sort of thing?  Thanks.  I am in Chicagoland.
Chop chop
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 5:08pm
I see online that the "curb" weight (car, gas, oil, etc.) of a CJ2A is approximately 2,137 lbs.  Is this correct?  Anybody find this inaccurate?
Chop chop
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by bosshoff bosshoff wrote:

I see online that the "curb" weight (car, gas, oil, etc.) of a CJ2A is approximately 2,137 lbs.  Is this correct?  Anybody find this inaccurate?

Never had any reason to question it...

ETA:  I bought a 6x12, Belmont UT612-TA (for the dual axles and brakes), but I also have a JD750 that outweighs the 2A by quite a bit with the loader and a box blade on it (3100#?)... I had (have) a 5x10 with a 3500# single axle w/o brakes that just doesn't instill any confidence with that kind of weight on it...It's happier with ATVs or sleds on it-

YMMV

Edited by mbullism - 15 Mar. 2017 at 5:44pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 5:30pm
The book may say 2,137 pounds but unless it is a stock car show CJ2A with no options, it will weigh more.

Adding a roll bar, winch, bigger tires, tools, heavy jack / recovery gear, spare parts, extra gas / water cans, and so on can add up.  Our 1946 trail jeep has to have an extra 400 pounds when it is ready to hit the trail but we go heavy.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 7:43pm
imo buy a 6x12 with dual axle with electric brakes. I wouldn't go any lighter . put on a 3000 lb winch. that is what I have. it pull nice behind the truck.
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 10:35pm
I have a 6' 4" x 14'  tandem axle utility trailer with one axle electric brakes, tows good stops good east to load and tow. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 11:28pm
I purchased a 6'X16' tandem axle utility 15 years ago.  It was used and I have had to re-deck it once.  I painted it twice, put brakes on the second axle two years ago and that really helps.   Never had a need for a winch on the trailer, I have two cable come alongs.   It has hauled lots of fire wood, hay, rail road ties, gravel, a couple of dead cars and several Elk.  Price was my main consideration when I got it.  Putting stuff on the trailer keeps the pickup box from getting beat up.  Just my trailer experience. 

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 4:58pm
I'm not recommending it as the best solution, but I have used my 5 X 10 landscape trailer successfully. 
The Jeep just fits in the dimensions and capacity.

Edited by SlowPocono - 17 Mar. 2017 at 5:00pm
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 5:07pm
Slowpocono, I am looking at the same thing. The axles seem to be the limiting factor.  The rating on most trailer manufacturer's axles is about 2,000 lbs.  I could go bigger to 14' and dual axles and aluminum, but mucho dinero.
Chop chop
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 5:13pm
Or swap in a higher capacity axle.....it's a bolt in situation. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 5:23pm
The Carry-On trailer that I got from Tractor Supply has a GVWR of 2,990 lbs.

If I was buying a trailer to move the Willy's, I'd get something a little bigger, but I have this trailer, and it does work.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 6:22pm
I bought a 16 foot dual axle so I can move my tractor around and haul the jeep with something on the three point like a scoop or something and have it all stay on the trailer.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 6:34pm
I bought a 18' tilt ,tandem axle with brakes on all 4 wheels .it weighs just under 2000#. It was just over $2000. I did have them add a few things like removable fenders and a winch platform and rub rail . Plus a spare tire. That bumped the price up a little. It's got a wood deck but I stained it and it lives most of its life under cover. Hull Trailers. South West Iowa.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 9:19pm
I alHull trailer, purchased in May of 2016. 14 ft X 76in. so it fits thru the gate. urethane the bed and its good to go, spare tire, tandem wheels with brakes and a tool box. Short of $2100

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 9:37pm
I use a 6x12 tandem because thats what I also use for work. But the size showed me a few things regarding usefulness in hauling a cj. You can go smaller, which is very appealing, but add anything else like a dirt bike and you will need to size up. 12' is IMO minimum length if you want even a small amount of grow room. At 12'there really isn't much left over after loading the willys. A 10'trailer is marginally more parkable. Width is probably the best way to gain manuaverability. I also like 12' single axle trailers if they are built rugged. A 5k axle would be minimum, with e-brakes. A good trailer will pull straight regardless of axle configuration and singles are very good at sneaking into tight spots. Tandems there is a LOT of tire skid when you have to jack it around to fit. Pay attention to length of tongue. The longer the distance from end of deck, then to axles, influences greatly how it tracks and how it backs. Too short is not usually so good for those characteristics. Joshua

Edited by jhg - 17 Mar. 2017 at 9:43pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2017 at 3:39am
I have build trailer and brought trailer, that be said when you try to haul something that is close to the limited you don't have much safely there.
then there if you hauling down highway with foot to the metal and blow the tire on a single axle trailer you will could find yourself wreck.
please pull safe.
in closing two axle are better then one.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2017 at 6:20am
I would opt for the 2 axle trailer with brakes all around. I was flat towing mine behind a 12.600 Lb. motorhome and could feel it trying to move me around in a corner. It pushed me through a parking lot in the mud. It pushed me through a stop light in the rain. Better to be safe.
uncamonkey
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I would opt for the 2 axle trailer with brakes all around. I was flat towing mine behind a 12.600 Lb. motorhome and could feel it trying to move me around in a corner. It pushed me through a parking lot in the mud. It pushed me through a stop light in the rain. Better to be safe.

Unka - thanks for sharing that --- I'm in the camp of guys who had been considering flat towing, but wanted to hear others' experiences..   

I'm starting to lean "trailer" for sure...

Jim
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>