Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer case
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 12:32am
Anybody in South Dakota have a transfer case they want to sell. I have a broken bolt in mine.
Digger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 12:37am
Sorry put this post in wrong section.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 1:18am
Why not just remove the broken bolt in yours? It would be quicker.
Digger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 2:00am
The bolt that is broken is actually the clutch rod ball. A previous owner tried welding it back on. The weld got down into the threads. The weld is harder than a tap.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 2:20am
If it were mine I would try to drill the welds out. Find a bit that is smaller then the threads to clean most of it. Then with a good tap clean the threads.
Digger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2017 at 2:40am
That's where I am with it and it just busts the teeth off the tap. The jeep was left outside all of its life and trans. And transfer case were full of water. Almost everything will need replacing because of rust. I kind of learned my lesson rebuilding the transmission. I would have been money ahead by buying a rebuilt tranny from Novak.
 Post Reply Post Reply