Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vise Stand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vise Stand
    Posted: 29 Jan. 2017 at 5:13am
A few years back, 48CJ2A (Art) Was looking for a semi-truck brake drum to build a "Vise Stand", this uses a brake drum for the base, a length of pipe welded to the drum with a vise mounted to the top of the pipe, a hell of an idea!, I must have one of these as well... So a friend brought me a brake drum gleaned from the dumpster at his place of employment, I found a piece of very heavy wall pipe formally used as a trench box spreader 8 5/8" od x 1/2" wall in the scrap box at my work, as well as a chunk of 1/2" plate for the top to mount the vise on, plus I had a great big vise my dad picked from the scrap box at his work 50 years ago. last spring I fit it all together and it's very handy and very heavy and I use it all the time!. my only cost in this was time/welding rod/electricity. As I used it I added a bracket to hold the soft jaws for the vise, then I welded on a piece of pipe to hold a center punch and another bracket for a ball peen hammer, another bracket for a 2 lb hammer, a hook to hold the torch while working on a project, a rack for the 4.5" grinder, a place for the tape measure and a double outlet for the grinder and other power tools. it's perfect! short of a paint job, LOL. Photo's you say, here they are.

That all worked so well, I made another to mount my Swag bandsaw stand, and a bench grinder to, later I will add a wire wheel and another grinder to this.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 12:26am
So you can tilt it and roll it where you want, correct?
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 3:24am
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

So you can tilt it and roll it where you want, correct?

Yes, that works, but I may add a couple wheels in the future, with all the tools hanging on it the "Tilt & Roll" gets interesting

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 3:28am
my bench grinder currently enjoys the low center of gravity that such a brake drum provides :)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 12:03pm
So the cup holder on it is the vise correct? LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 4:09pm
I love it!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 5:21pm
What? No bottle opener?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

What? No bottle opener?

The bottles I drink from have corks , usually after shop time. I have materials for another one for the pole shed, a vise would be handy there as well.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 2:49am
My Old Friend/Boss Used to Tell Me When I Was Building Something , "Paint It and It'll Look Store Bought" My Son Throws this at Me Now Days.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 4:27am
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

My Old Friend/Boss Used to Tell Me When I Was Building Something , "Paint It and It'll Look Store Bought" My Son Throws this at Me Now Days.

In the spring Kevin!, to damn cold to sandblast this time of year

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2017 at 5:41pm
Nice job Lee, that's exactly what I wanted to do with a grinder and a vise.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 1:23am
Thanks for the pics - I've seen / used similar setups in the past and hoping to do the same here... your post is great timing :)

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 1:47am
Lee, you got a way to clamp that thing to the floor? When I'm trying to put the squeeze on a u-joint, if I don't have the angle right, I can almost pull my whole workbench over and I'm pretty sure it weighs more than that set up.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 1:51am
My grinder stand is a rear hub and drum from a 64 F700. I used the axle as the post, bolted it on the outside of the hub instead of going through it. Welded a flat plate to a piece of heavy pipe that had the right ID, slid it over the axle shaft, after cutting it to the right height, and welded it in place. Its worked good for the last 33 years.
48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 3:42am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Lee, you got a way to clamp that thing to the floor? When I'm trying to put the squeeze on a u-joint, if I don't have the angle right, I can almost pull my whole workbench over and I'm pretty sure it weighs more than that set up.

Not needed in most cases, the drum is (guess) 100 lbs., the pipe I used is 3/4" wall and 8 5/8 OD x 4'. And the vise itself is nearly 100 LBS. unless I have a long item in the vise I have no issues.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
 Post Reply Post Reply