Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Brake problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Brake problem
    Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 4:20am
So I have had a brake leak I haven't been able to fix. Finally brought it to the mechanic, let him take care of it (slightly embarrassed by that). 
Anyways, they fixed it, tested it, brakes worked well. Brought it home, was taking a spin around the block, and had no brake pedal, it just went to the floor.
Went back into the garage and it was leaking fluid (couldn't tell from where) but definitely the master cylinder area. I think it might have been the brass fitting that splits the brake lines from the front and back.

2 Days later I have someone press the pedal so i can attempt to see the leak location and I have full brake pedal...

I topped off the MC again from the fluid it lost a few days earlier, and tried it an hour later. Still had full brakes...

Did it really fix itself? 
I don't want to be driving down the road and completely lose brakes.
I am going to test it tomorrow or the next day to see if it works while I am actually driving and not just at a stand still.

Any help would be appreciated.
JS

a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 6:17am
Throw away the master cyl. Internal seals of master are leaking and yes they can intermintently leak. Sometimes you can slowly and smoothly depress the pedal and push the pedal to the floor. Then push down with force quickly and the pedal will hold.
Phil
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 6:44am
Also wouldn't drive the car, your brakes are not safe. That same scenario will repeat at the most inopportune time.
Phil
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 12:36pm
Dammit! I will pull back the boot to see if it is  leaking from there. That is where it would be leaking from right? Where the rod goes into the piston? It is a new MC too :(.

JS

Edited by jscheiner.09 - 07 Mar. 2017 at 2:11pm
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:38pm
Internal leaks don't lose fluid, but since you apparently did lose fluid, you should be able to see it somewhere--rubber hoses, junctions, wheel cyl etc.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:51pm
If it was a leak where the brake fluid got past the piston into the rubber boot would that be considered an internal leak?
JS
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 3:52pm
Chk the copper crush washers (gaskets) at the Y fitting front of M/C.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 6:51pm
Internal seals will bypass fluid sometimes, meaning as you press down on the pedal the fluid will go around the seal instead of the seal pushing the fluid forward towards the wheel cyls, this will not cause an external leak. there is also sealing at the back of the master to keep fluid from escaping at the plunger side of the master, that would be an external leak. If you saw fluid on the ground under the master, there has to be residual left. brake fluid will not evaporate or at least not for some time. Try wiping your finger in the boot and any where the system seals and see if there is wetness on your finger. Clean brake fluid is sometimes hard to see(at least for my eyes) Seals in the master is the only thing I know that would cause the pedal to go to the floor one time and not the next yet show no external leakage
Phil 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 7:59pm
I pulled back the boot and did see fluid in that area. When the pedal originally went to the floor, the brake fluid was all over the MC. Then the next day I had full brakes. I have not tried it under load so I am going to try that as well.

a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 8:47pm
Its possible they overfilled the reservoir and with using the brakes the fluid expanded leaking out the top. Does the cap seal well. Did the last shop replace the master along with other brake work. I think I would take it back to them to remedy you issues seeing as they had there hands on it last. Maybe some one else wants to comment, but it sounds unsafe to me.
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 9:10pm
I don't think it would have spilled out the top, that would not explain the no brake pedal.
I just don't want it failing randomly when I am driving down the road.
JS
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 9:15pm
Is the heat shield between exhaust pipe and M/C in place? 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 9:29pm
You had mentioned that fluid was all over the master, so I was wondering about the cap leaking or possibly spillage from previous work. The brakes failing randomly is a real possibility by what you have told us and is probably the master. You should have it checked out
Phil
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 9:53pm
Is there a reason that you do not want to take it back to the mechanic that "fixed" your brake fluid leak? Did they take too long? Did it cost too much? Are you embarrassed? You should not be embarrassed, the mechanic should, & they should fix it free. The leak is why you took it to them. It should not leak. Take it back for warranty work.

Now the pedal going to the floor without getting any braking action may not be the mechanics fault. It is probably a separate issue. It does sound like a master cylinder issue from what I am hearing. Your old cylinder may be rebuildable. Yet, it may be cheaper to buy a new one. Check that out. Done right a rebuild is as good as a new one, plus the old one will fit in the rig without any modifications. The new one should, but as we all know, there are a lot of "should"s in the world.

If you get a new one, try not to get a Chinese or Indian one. They "should" be able to make a correct part, sadly, that does not seem to be the case.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 10:37pm
I actually spoke to them about it... I wasn't sure if I should take it back because it is something that was different from what they fixed being that it was the plunger. I just assumed it was a faulty MC. So I should most likely just take it back to them and let them fix it ?
Js
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by jscheiner.09 jscheiner.09 wrote:

I actually spoke to them about it... I wasn't sure if I should take it back because it is something that was different from what they fixed being that it was the plunger. I just assumed it was a faulty MC. So I should most likely just take it back to them and let them fix it ?
Js

Yep, they should have tested it before they sent it out the door. Take it back and have them fix it under warranty.
Where did you get the MC?
uncamonkey
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 12:46am
From reading this Thread, it seems like you have exhausted all of your expertise and had a mechanic work on it.  I suggest you take it back to the mechanic and have him/her check it and fix it.  I learned a long time ago, from my Dad and from Dirty Harry, "Man's got to know his limitations" and guessing on what or what is not wrong with brakes is "Beyond my limitations".  I would not be embarassed about admitting that I don't know enough about, in this case brakes, and turn this critical task over to a mechanic.  Guessing could get you or a loved one killed.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 1:28am
Yeah I definitely agree....
I am going to call up the mechanic and take it back to have them check it out. I could easily just replace the master cylinder myself for 60 bucks. Hopefully if I take it to the mechanic they don't charge me more than that.... as in I hope they wArranty it.
I got the master cylinder from Kaiser Willys and put less than one mile on it.
Maybe I should call them and see if they can take it back.

Thanks for all the help guys !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>