Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What a beautiful world (at least my part of it)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a beautiful world (at least my part of it)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a beautiful world (at least my part of it)
    Posted: 26 Dec. 2016 at 10:18pm
The day before Christmas Eve I got the transmission back in Grampa's Jeep after working on the synchros. Then we had a big storm here in Utah. It rained Christmas Eve then changed to snow and snowed most of the day on Christmas. Today (the 26th) the sun is shining and the world looks bright and beautiful. Grampa's Jeep and I went for a little ride to test out the transmission and check out the views.

This is the mountain near my home. It's called Ben Lomond. Named by Scottish settlers in the area after the Ben Lomond in Scotland. I think it looks a little mysterious today.

Ben Lomond is part of the Wasatch mountain range. This picture is from the same spot as the other one, just panned a little more south.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2016 at 10:29pm
Beautiful Stan!, how did the trans. Perform ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2016 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Beautiful Stan!, how did the trans. Perform ?

Lee

The transmission seems pretty good. Overdrive still pops out of direct drive

I had hoped that tightening up the popit spring would take care of it. Maybe another washer or two under the spring will help.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 12:16am
Gr8 shots Stan! Thx 4 posting!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 2:07am
Really nice Stan. Thanks for sharing.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 2:18pm
I bet that you have a Herm's OD. I would check the 4 shaft that the planetary gears ride on in the barrel gear and make sure they are still flush. If not flush they will not allow the synchs to completely mesh and pop out of gear. I have played the Herm's game I know. If I could find the photo i would post it. Its self explanatory if you see the shafts. It starting point when you have the gear out.  

Edited by Rick Cline - 27 Dec. 2016 at 6:42pm
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 2:24pm
Very nice ! Thanks
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Rick Cline Rick Cline wrote:

I bet that you have a Herm's OD. I would check the 4 shaft that the planetary gears ride on in the bowl gear and make sure they are still flush. If not flush they will not allow the synchs to completely mesh and pop out of gear. I have played the Herm's game I know. If I could find the photo i would post it. Its self explanatory if you see the shafts. It starting point when you have the gear out.  

You guessed it Rick. Can you give further enlightenment on this issue? I know of at least one other member here that is having this problem. 

i found this picture on Sean's overdrive rebuild guide. Is this what you are talking about?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 6:40pm
Yes those are the shafts I'm talking about. In the photo these shafts work out (to the right in the photo) to the chevron gear not allowing the synchro to fully mesh up. The Warn OD shafts are held in place with a drive pins. Saturn OD are retained with a snap ring. Herms are press fit. Just something to look at.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 6:55pm
Rick,
In Sean's rebuild guide he says to make sure that the nipples indicated by the arrows in the picture must be flush. I think I hear you saying that the pins need to be flush on the other end (not visible in the photo) as well. Perhaps the pins are a smudge too long? Guess I'm going to spend some time on my back checking this out. Thanks for the tip. This is the first I've heard of this particular issue. Not much experience with overdrive though.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 7:30pm
It's not that they are to long it's that there is nothing holding them in place. Three out of the four on mine work out. One was at least 1/4" out the other 2 not far behind. As said earlier something to inspect.

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2016 at 7:42pm
Stan, the Warn planetary and Saturn Planetary are different. Saturn actually spot welds the pins on one side and uses a snap ring under the drive dogs in a machined groove on the other side. Warn had holes drilled through the sides and roll pins installed into the  pins through the holes. Warn did not use a snapring like saturn. Warns planetary has no groove or room for a snapring.  Herm just presses them in and chews you out for asking why no snap ring or roll pins. " Those won't come out, I had to press them in". Confused Sorry I asked. So, I tapped on the pin with a small hammer and punch. It moved easily. I took my Warn Planetary to a machinist who used a end mill and bored roll pin holes into the pins. Then installed roll pins. 

New pauls and springs in the synchroniser assembly is recommended. Make sure the stationary gear and synchro collar do not have worn , tapered drive dogs. 

Nice winter pictures! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2016 at 1:43am
Great pics
The colors of your jeep blend perfectly with the snow and sky.

Sorry your Over-drive is still not working correctly   
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2016 at 4:11am
Very Nice Stan.    Thumbs Up
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2016 at 2:11pm
Stan, here's the roll pin fix Oilly mentioned. 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2016 at 3:39pm
Just curious: if those roll pins are in blind holes how do you get them out?

Would it not be better to drill and tap those holes and use loctited set screws?

Edited by WillyBill - 28 Dec. 2016 at 3:43pm
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2016 at 8:58pm
Very observative. You have to drive the large pins in and break the roll pins off or shear them off. Then push them out the opposite way. A royal pain. Herm did thst, but the new pins do not have the roll pin holes in them. Not the best design in my book. John

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 28 Dec. 2016 at 9:00pm
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2016 at 12:18pm
It would be nice if you could find something like this in the size you need, not really sure what they are called but its almost like a small differential bolt.   https://www.amazon.com/Integy-C24748-Threaded-Stampede-Rustler/dp/B00XQLX3XQ
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>