Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the CJ2A website
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you like to see on thecj2apage.com?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you like to see on thecj2apage.com?
    Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 3:31pm
Hi All

I am going to be spending some time on reworking the website and I would like to see what you guys and gals would wanted to see on the site? I have some ideas but I wanted to see what you wanted, before I put together a new layout.

Thanks
Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 3:52pm
Sorry.
Reorganize Tech Q&A               

Edited by jpet - 12 Jan. 2010 at 4:42pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 4:00pm
Jpet:

I think he's looking for ideas for the website itself and not the forum since this question was in the Suggestions and Comments for the CJ2A website section and not the Suggestions and Comments for the forum section. Embarrassed
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 4:04pm
The forum isn't part of the website?
If you are talking about the front page, I have no suggestions.  I never go there.

Edited by jpet - 12 Jan. 2010 at 4:05pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 4:09pm
Russ,
What about a "button" on Profile Page to link info. to CJ2A Locater Map page automaticly if someone wanted to be on it as well?  Might make it one less step for everyone... and less WORK for who ever updates it.  Maybe it would be too much of a hassle to figure out how to do it.
Just a thought from a Newby.
Best,
Kilroy
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 4:25pm
I think that it would be useful to edit the History page to correct errors and add additional information that has been gleaned since it was written.   The title of the page might also be expanded to something such as History and Facts that might be more descriptive of the content. 

Although it might have to be integrated with the forum so that only forum members could view it, there could be some location-based information developed from query results from the forum members database that would might provide a count of the members in different states as one example without personally identifying anyone.   More thought on the concept is needed, I guess.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2010 at 5:09pm
Russ:

1) An upgraded "FAQ" is desperately needed, either in the forum or on the home page, w/more up-to-date & specific info than in the current "Q&A" link.

The home page though, would need to be more prominently exposed.  Problem now is that many people join this forum directly and don't even know there IS a home page for reference!  But if we had one there, we could at least post a link to it when repeat questions are asked.

We've discussed compiling an FAQ in the past, but it never took off.  I'll offer again to be the "compiler".

2) A section for "Documentation", subdivided appropriately, where scans of original manuals, bulletins, brochures etc. could reside.  They're scattered all about right now.

3) ditto Sams comment re. History, it needs to be updated

4) a general reorganization for coherency & navigation.  The current list of links is haphazard and non-threaded.

What can I do to help?  Will be sending a PM.

Sean

Edited by sean - 12 Jan. 2010 at 5:10pm
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 4:03am
I like the ideas, keep them coming!

I am trying to think of how to make a FAQ page that won't be a monster to maintain.

The website, not the forum will be getting a total make over.

Russ

Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 5:38pm
Maybe make the FAQ more like a wiki site so that regulars would be able to help add content and maintain it?
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
BorderBrewer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BorderBrewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 7:33pm
a link to Sean's parts data base

A Wiki repository organized into sections where users can upload documents such as manuals, rebuild "how to" guides and the like.
Regards,
BorderBrewer
1947 CJ2A
1960 6-226 Wagon

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 7:49pm
The wiki-like facility would be useful, but we already have that sort of function in the forum where anyone can post anything they want with kinks to whatever.  It seems to me that the information on the Web site (as opposed to the forum) should be vetted by a very knowledgeable person (for some reason Sean comes to mind LOL ) so that the information is fairly authoritative.  I suggest that a new forum topic/area be set up for people to provide submissions for possible addition to the FAQ.  The same area could also be used to discuss issues surrounding those submissions because there will definitely be some!
Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 8:43pm
The more I think about this the more it makes sense to add a sub forum for a FAQ for Tech Section then posts could be moved into FAQ forum. I am not sure a FAQ page away from the forum will do what we want it do, have people read it before posting the same question on the forum.

I am thinking about this the right way?

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 9:01pm
Russ,

The value of a FAQ section on the Web site would be that it would be structured with headings and links that made sense.  I suppose that a read only forum (stickies, I suppose) could accomplish the same thing.  I'm under no illusion that people would actually read either one before blurting out their question.  Of course after a few of us point them to the answers that are there, they will learn to go there first or at least pretend they did ("I searched but couldn't find anything about hard starting" LOL).

Why don't you try it with a new sub-forum since the mechanisms are already in place.  If it works out, you could put a link from the FAQ on the Web site to that forum.

One thing that a FAQ on the Web site could do better than a forum is to provide links to a page worth of information at a time.  The borders and trappings of the forum take up a lot of space.   Of course, searching within a forum is more powerful than Find in a browser window.  I suppose there are search tools for Web sites, too, though.  Bottom line, I think a new forum - you could call it, "FAQ" Big smile - is worth a try.

Edited by samcj2a - 13 Jan. 2010 at 9:05pm
Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 9:46pm
I was thinking of having one post or maybe a few "Category" Posts in the "FAQ" sub-forum. This way it would be a list rather than standard forum with posts. Make any sense?

Something like this.

This is the FAQ section of the Tech forum.
1. This post is the solution for this problem. "link to post"
2. This post is the solution for this problem. "link to post"
3. This post is the solution for this problem. "link to post"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 9:56pm
Sure.  I don't even know what is possible with respect to formatting.  If you could create links from an index or topic list to a list of relevant threads, that would seem helpful and fairly easy to maintain if a moderator could easily drop new threads into the hierarchy as the saw fit.

I presume that threads would be included in appropriately structured searches as well.

Edited by samcj2a - 13 Jan. 2010 at 10:05pm
Sam

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 10:05pm
I just took a look at the Parts Project.   I'd suggest a hierarchy similar to the Parts List.  Instead of parts, though, you'd have a list of topics that would link to a page of one or more threads.  I'm thinking threads for ease of maintenance.  I'd make them stickies or locked, though, as the Parts Project was originally.  I think that people that want to add stuff could dump their posts off in a section where the moderator could vet them and allow comments if desired.
Sam

softdraw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softdraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 10:17pm
Like several above I don't go to the website at all, my browser takes me straight to the forum.  However, I'll follow Sam's comment above but only slightly modified.  So many of my questions could have been answered with pictures.  What is this supposed to look like?  Where does this go?  How does this mount?  What was original?  I know there are a lot of points of contention about these kinds of topics but I'm not saying to make a declaration of what is right or wrong, but merely "This is how I have it (or) this is how I found it on my 2A."  I know there is an attempt at pictures on the Parts Page but it could really be beefed up.

Edited by softdraw - 13 Jan. 2010 at 10:17pm
His: 1984 CJ7

Hers: 2008 JK 4-door Stone White Rubicon

Ours: 1948 CJ2A "Virgil"

Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2010 at 11:09pm
Russ,
What ever happens...please try to keep it as simple as possible. Seems like a stupid thing to say. But take a look at the 'G' and what has happened over there. Look at their FAQ Forum. I am sure you have...and the G, like this site needed to grow. But, for me, I don't like the G so much anymore. Just has gotten to big and some things to complicated to use easily. I am not sure what my frustration is over there. A great Website...
The parts page on this site is one example of a resource available that is hardly used to its capacity. So, I agree with the concept of trying to incorporate what we already have here to better serve us rather that adding more forums and such. 
What a daunting task you potentially have here.
Merely thoughts...
Howard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>