Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the CJ2A website
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you like to see on thecj2apage.com?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 6:25pm
1. Sure, Jeff post away!

2. Not changing forum software, just doing some reorganizing.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I’m confused.

Can I talk about changing the forum here in this post now?
Is there a possibility that the forum will be changing?

No, we'll need a new forum catagory for that....'Jeff's Changes to the Forum'  WinkLOLLOL

edit...
         BTW, speaking of Jeff, could stuff like that epic top thread and canvas study and then doors and hardware thread be made into a link or topic or FAQ or short story or novel all it's own. to go on the Home Page in it's own spotlight?.........I'd say it is very deserving of a spot all it's own.

Edited by rocnroll - 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:29pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

1. Sure, Jeff post away!
Thanks
Originally posted by Howard Howard wrote:

....I don't like the G so much anymore. Just has gotten to big and some things to complicated to use easily. I am not sure what my frustration is over there. A great Website...

Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Agreed with the comments on not making it too like the Gee..
How is our Tech Q&A any different than the Gee now?
Quote I like to check the new topics and see if there is anything I can give some intelligent(??) input into to help someone out. Or I can possibly stir the pot a little in some "hot" topic..lol. If it gets so you need to look in the carb section for carb, ignition for ignition etc, it may get too specific.
The Gee is not like that.  The Tech Q&A there is just like our Tech Q&A (an open pit) and that is why you can't find information not the other way around.

I recommended breaking Tech Q&A down into parts groups and perhaps having some miscellaneous groups for questions like "what kind of mileage do you get from your 2A?" and so forth.  It does not matter to me if the groups are parts, FAQs or whatever.  I just think it would be helpful if we have a sub-folder system like the parts project.  It's no different than the computer you are using to read this.  You don't have all you files stored on "C:\data" drive now do you?  Of course not.  You would never find anything.

I have read that there is alot of concern about not being able to find information if we get too specific or whatever.  How do you look for information in T-Q&A now?  You do a search for "whatever" in "T-Q&A"  if T-Q&A had sub-folders, it would not affect the search.  The search would still go through all the sub-folders.  It would not matter if something was "miss-filed".  There is no down side IMO.  If there is, please clarify and please clarify how we would be mimicking the g503 or maybe I am mistaken on what youn's concern is.  If so, I apologize.

Maybe we don't know what all the FAQs are yet.  perhaps we could use the trend of questions to determine if and when to add a sub-folder.  Example:  No doubt within the next 6 months to a year, somebody is going to again ask the famous question, "what type of mileage do you get with your 2A?".  A member would realize that there are probably 5 or more posts titled with the same question, so he/she would suggest to Russ or Sean to create a sub-folder for this question, round up the threads and move them there.  Maybe they would think it does not warrant a sub-folder.  The admins can be the judge of that.

The sub-folders should be named whatever makes sense.  parts, specific question, whatever, but the folders names would be the FAQ.

Tech Q&A

\General Questions\

Why won’t my jeep start?

What kind of mileage does your 2A get?

What do you consider to be original? LOL

\Body Group\

My replacement tub won’t fit!

Will CJ3A fenders fit on a 2A?

\Brakes\

How do I bleed my brakes?

Who sells the cheapest brakes?

\Bumpers\

Blah blah ………

or ...

Tech Q&A

\Gas Mileage\

My 2A gets lousy gas mileage              

What kind of mileage does your 2A get?

\Starting problems\

I can't get my 2A to start in cold weather HELP!

I was stranded the other day.
      \Some other question that we noticed is asked repeatedly\

Blah blah ………

or .... something else

This would not require a rebuild of the forum. ..... Would it?

Perhaps it may be simpler (as I think some are suggesting) to just have an FAQ sticky with hyperlinks to various relevant threads.  Am I reading that right?  That would be better than what we have now but I think that if we had the proper sub-folders, it would prompt people to post correctly to begin with rather than throwing them into one big pot and then an administrator has gather up the hyperlinks and add them to the FAQ thread.

If I am misunderstanding please explain.  Sorry, I'm bad about that.

Lastly:
When you want to find your pair of black socks, you go to your dresser. and open up the "sock drawer" and look for them there first. right?  If you don't find them there, the logical next place to look would probably be in your wife's sock drawer.  You still have the option of looking through all the drawers.  If your search is unsuccessfull you can finally post the question, "Honey, where are my black socks?"

or.... we can do it like we do now.
Leave all the clothes in the dryer and when you need your black socks, open up the dryer door and hunt for them.  I thnk rather than that, I would just go straight to the question, "Honey ........"

That's what we have now.  It's still the best thing going though.  I'm good with whatever happens or doesn't happen.

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:32pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:40pm
Sock's?? If I can't find em, I just wear yesterday's again. (or none at all, depends on the weather) LOL (seriously, anything works for me, things could work better, but it isn't bad now. Just wish the "search" function was used more, Sean had a good tutorial about using it. Seem to get questions a lot that I easily find with a search.)

Edited by bkreutz - 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:41pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

or.... we can do it like we do now.
Leave all the clothes in the dryer and when you need your black socks, open up the dryer door and hunt for them. 

But that way you'd just be looking in ONE spot, right? Not three or four drawers.WinkLOL

You have some valid points and to see how far we have come, people need to go to the Home Page and check out the old forum for a minute.Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Just wish the "search" function was used more.........

And unfortunately that's probably not gonna change a whole lot because whenever a suggestion is made to use it (or punctuation or spelling or grammar) somebody has to get on their high horse and say they "didn't come here for that" "they just want to relax and read about jeeps" know what I mean?Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

But that way you'd just be looking in ONE spot, right? Not three or four drawers.WinkLOL
The search function will look through all the drawers at once if you so desire, so you can take all the drawers out, dump your clothes on the floor simultaniously and start searching. .... like we do it now.Wink 

Edit.  but..... magically everything goes back in the drawers automatically when you are finished searching!  Thanks Honey!Big smileTongue

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:50pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 7:51pm
Exactly, the search function should find it either way......so why is it we need sub catergories again?Big smile
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:04pm

Exactly, the search function should find it either way......so why is it we need sub catergories again?Big smile

Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Just wish the "search" function was used more.........

And unfortunately that's probably not gonna change a whole lot because whenever a suggestion is made to use it (or punctuation or spelling or grammar) somebody has to get on their high horse and say they "didn't come here for that" "they just want to relax and read about jeeps" know what I mean?Wink

You said it not me. 

An argument will never measure up to an experience.  The fact is, people don't use the search or use it improperly.  Fact is we do get duplicate posts all the time.  What can we do about it?  We've tried about everything.  We have stickys. Whe have blasting them when they do it and as you said "that's probably not gonna change".

And....  The search forum is not always going to be that good because the searches can get complicated.  Sometimes you don't know the name of what you are searching for.  You could be looking for information on a hood so you do a search for "hood".  Some member from Europe has the exact answer you are looking for but he titled his thread "bonnet".  You never find the information, but if the member from Europe went into the T-Q&A section and saw a sub-folder called "body group" or "hood", he would know to put it there.  With no sub-folders, the guy looking for info on his hood can either thumb through 183 pages of T-Q&A or he can do (what most of us would do) and ask the question again in a new thread.

I have used the search engine and followed all the rules and ideas for finding information, not found the info, and afterwards posted the question only to have someone (probably Sean) find an old thread that answered my question because I did not word it right, or I did not know the correct name or nickname of the item I was looking for.

What is the down side?

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:07pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:42pm
Don't get your blood pressure up, I said you had some valid points..Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:43pm
I don't see anything that we might change that will reduce, much less eliminate, repeat questions or questions that could be answered by skilled use of the Search function.  The benefit to having a collection of organized answers to common questions is that instead of one of us paraphrasing past answers or making up something that is a partial answer or the many other things that happen now is that, knowing where these canned topics are, we can easily refer the poster to a comprehensive answer that has been subject to some vetting and revision as new things are learned.

Also, Jeff, with respect to your hypothetical question about socks, I must inform you that socks were not original equipment on a 2As! LOLWinkLOL

Oh, and if there were no questions to answer because everyone used Search perfectly and always found the FAQs, there would be much less fun here.  Big smile

Edited by samcj2a - 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:46pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:43pm
It honestly is not up.  I just over explain stuff.  You know how I am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:52pm
How about a large red search button in the middle of the page?
But seriously, Jeff, as a Brit who has had to buy parts in the US for some years, we translate to US quite easily!!!!Wink
Thanks for the tip on the printing Russ, Sam I'm just glad I'm not the only one!

46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

I don't see anything that we might change that will reduce, much less eliminate, repeat questions or questions that could be answered by skilled use of the Search function......

Quote I don't see anything that we might change that will reduce, much less eliminate, repeat questions or questions that could be answered by skilled use of the Search function...... members from improperly using the search function, not finding what they need and asking a repeat question
We are not elliminating the search function.  Perhaps another how-to and another sticky?

Search example:

I'm a newbee (or not so newbee) and I want to know what size the thread is for those twist thingys that attach the canvas roof to my windshield.  What do I search for? "twist"? "thingy"?

If the Tech Q&A or FAQ were catagorized, I would go to

Tech Q&A\

Canvas bows & doors\

Top Bows

Canvas Top

Turn Button Fasteners

Common Sense Fasteners ......

Probably 2 or maybe three pages of threads but not 183.

It would not be too hard to skim a couple pages of titles and see that they are called "turn button" or "common sense" or just "fasteners"

Just having fun.  I'm in a good mood.

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2010 at 8:59pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:04pm
Usually the key to effective searching is less specificity unless you know exactly what you are trying to locate.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/search_results_topics.asp?SearchID=20100114210117&KW=fasten+windshield

Probably "fasten" plus "top" get useful results too.

Edited by samcj2a - 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:04pm
Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:08pm
I generally do better by remembering that 'soinso' posted an answer in that thread and then just search for that person's posts.......I know that's the long way around but I usually turn something up that way when I can't in other ways.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:09pm
Sam

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:16pm
Sam,

Those links do not work for me.  Please explain the parameters you put in the search engine and then I will comment.

We've been needing some fun around here lately.

Edited by jpet - 14 Jan. 2010 at 9:17pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>