Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White column shifter lever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White column shifter lever
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2016 at 2:15am
There was rumor that some of the early 45's had a white column shift knob. The picture of my Jeep as it was parked in front of the Toledo OH factory shows it as black. Unless they ran out or it was before serial number 10043, otherwise black it is.
Ever find the reason for the two extra holes drilled in the bow pockets of the earliest 2A's?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
daddyo4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2016 at 3:04pm
Tell me about these two extra holes please, I've not heard of them before.
'46 #13480
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 2:19pm
The rear bow pocket on the earliest jeeps had two holes and no one knows why.
I'll see if I can get some pictures. The photo of mine in 1945 doesn't show anything attached to it.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 6:11pm
Oakes:

I am not a machinist and I know very little about metal fabricating. But my pure guess is those two holes were used to position and hold in place the flat piece of rear top bow pocket metal stock during the manufacturing process, most likely in my imagination when its sides were bent to form the raised pocket proper.  I also imagine the machine shop forgot to trim off that extension with the holes in it for the first few tens (or so) of rear top bow pockets made.  You can see on later pockets where the extension has been cut off cleanly. Anyone else have any other ideas to explain it? 
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

Oakes:

I am not a machinist and I know very little about metal fabricating. But my pure guess is those two holes were used to position and hold in place the flat piece of rear top bow pocket metal stock during the manufacturing process, most likely in my imagination when its sides were bent to form the raised pocket proper.  I also imagine the machine shop forgot to trim off that extension with the holes in it for the first few tens (or so) of rear top bow pockets made.  You can see on later pockets where the extension has been cut off cleanly. Anyone else have any other ideas to explain it? 

more than "Ten" or so... my latest tracking via serial number(s) show up into the early 200's.......

my summation is the tab was going to be a "bow retainer", once all 4 "rivet" style bows are inserted into the pocket, the rivet head of the last bow actually snaps into the upper hole of the pocket.

i shared on this site one time, my finding(s) of "in-hand" pockets, and they clearly showed the remains of excess material after the tab would have been sheared off. and this trait continued to show up well into late 2A production......

On another note, for Bill..... I don't have a copy "on-hand", but i have viewed a Willys drawing showing the white column shift knob being released for production in the Fall of 1944, and the black one superseding it in the Spring of 1945. Given a part number was released for production, IMHO, it could/would have been produced, and even used........
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2016 at 3:08am
I actually took one of these off of an early Willys Pickup or wagon. I forget. Still have it somewhere but it wasn't white, it was ivory in color and the same size as the black one used.
 Post Reply Post Reply