Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yeeeehaw The Motor Runs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 5:48am
Clean and tighten your ground wires. Be sure all of them are in place and of the correct size. Old Jeep adage.
uncamonkey
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 5:54am
I just bypassed them with jumpers, but that didn't do much for me.

-DT
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 12:02pm
But it does still turn over by hand - fairly easily with the plugs out?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 12:20pm
Sure does. The starter even turns it over when the plugs are out. Quickly, too.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 2:18pm
My guess is one of the field winding in the starter is toast.  Take it the shop and have it tested.  That should be an easy fix for a stater shop.  The main winding is probably still good.  They will have a growler to check the armature winding also.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
2/14Marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2/14Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 12:37pm
I'm following your posts on here and Jalopnik. I'm hoping y'all make it. Are you making any progress this weekend?

I sent you a PM
Javier
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 8:48pm
Yes. Making lots of progress. She cranks under 6volts and idles now! The fuel system is all together, and the front brakes are done.

Still have a lot more to do.

-DT
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2017 at 9:13pm
I'm pulling for you too!  What fun!  Make sure your entire fuel system is clean (tank to carb).  All-day driving can gradually shake old crud loose and cause frustrating problems.  Otherwise the WO system is pretty robust on the road.  Engine problems underway will usually hit the electrical systems. Ignition parts are pretty easy to find in tractor supply stores or auto parts places but starter/generator/regulator parts will need to be shipped.

Make sure the exhaust manifold heat control valve works properly.  If it's stuck or installed the wrong way your motor will run hot and the carb bowl will sometimes boil over when a warm motor is shut off.  It's easy to get it wrong the first time you install it.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12