Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2014 at 9:58pm
Another update. I just finished driving this from Ohio to the Oregon coast. Had to replace/fix some items before I left.

The the manifold that had I welded up earlier, well when it heated up both brass bushings for the heat valve popped out Confused So I ordered a new manifold. Here they are. At this time I also removed the PCV and took it apart. So much dry sludge that I could not see the spring in there. Cleaned it up to brand new working status.

Here it is back on the Willys. ( The heat coil spring was not in the right position yet in this photo)

Also replaced the whole exhaust, since it was a cobbled up mess.

Tires on it were very old and dry rotted but as luck would have it a neighbor a few doors down was selling 5 tires that roughly looked the same size I needed so I stopped at his house. They were 4 265/70 15 Goodyears and 1 31x10.5x15 ( same size basically) No one was there so I called and left a message.
 When he called me back he said he wanted $120 and he would deliver them to me. So I said I will give you that and he delivered. But when he got to the house he said just give him $100. Big smile Wasn't going to argue.

Went to a local junk to get a another rim for use as a spare. This junkyard is in Burbank Ohio and has 2 flat fenders a few CJ5's, a CJ7, a CJ8 and a Willys truck. Found a decent one off the CJ8 and took it home to clean up.

The next day I took it to a tire shop and had them mount and balance them with new valve stems.
 The tire guy was stunned that the drivers side had left handed studs.

I now decided to check over the brake system.

Started with the fronts. I wanted to take everything apart and clean and antiseize the bolts. After making a call to Bob3b for some advice, I started taking things apart. Drivers side front was easy. Passenger front was a pain. I could not loosen the anchor bolts at all. Eventually heating them up with the torches, I was able to remove them. Of course one of the brass anchor adjusters was broken.

Finished the fronts so it was on to the rears. I did not have a hub puller so I went to the parts store to rent one, only to find out it would not work. A quick text to Bob3b again and I was on my way to his house to borrow his puller. ( Thanks again!)

Once I was back in the garage the rear drums came off easy with the use of the puller. This is when I found my drivers rear wheel cylinder was leaking. NAPA could get them in a few days but were like $58 dollars each Shocked They were able to get rebuild kits for $7 each. I went for the rebuilds.

Around this time Bob also stopped by my garage to help remove the transmission. Ever since I got it on the road last year, no matter where I went it left I nice size puddle under it.

Here is the spot after only 2 hours. Confused

Between the bearing retainer and trans the previous owner only used silicon.  Dead  I also decided to replace the felt ring. Nobody local could once again get me gaskets. Bob suggest 4WDH. I called them up and they had everything I needed in stock and they are under 2 hours away, so I took a drive.

Got everything I needed and put the Jeep back together.

Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:07am

Awesome Dennis, hadn't checked back here in awhile, was just thinking about heading to the folks to sort those engine parts I got off you once, and this post popped up!  No longer in Ohio?

Aaron

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Jeeper71 Jeeper71 wrote:

Awesome Dennis, hadn't checked back here in awhile, was just thinking about heading to the folks to sort those engine parts I got off you once, and this post popped up!  No longer in Ohio?

Aaron

Hey Aaron. Nope I just drove my Jeep out west to Oregon.   How is your Jeeps coming along?
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Aaron

Hey Aaron. Nope I just drove my Jeep out west to Oregon.   How is your Jeeps coming along?

Hi Dennis, not much, but planning to.  I married Darcie in August and moved to Marion, Ohio.  But the Jeeps are still at my parent's place.  So that thing drove out there without any problems?

Aaron

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:08pm
Jeeper, if you are in Marion, you should swing by the Willys Reunion in Hudson
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

Bob,dont' I wish I could.  Cry  That's a weekend I gotta work.  It would have been nice, as I'm thinking about selling my 63 Jeep Gladiator, which is in a basket case state for the moment, to fund my 46 CJ2A project.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:48pm

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Aaron

Hi Dennis, not much, but planning to.  I married Darcie in August and moved to Marion, Ohio.  But the Jeeps are still at my parent's place.  So that thing drove out there without any problems?

Aaron

Congratulations. For the most problem it drove fine. Broke the starter coil spring in Laramie Wyoming, so I was stranded for 5 hours while I found someone to fix.

Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

Aaron, definitely try to get to the reunion in Hudson. Lots to see. I went last year with my youngest and had fun.

Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2014 at 5:49pm

Hmmmmmm....I am off the 16th!  Star  Okay.....I might be able to plan on getting up there..

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:18pm
Well while a lot of you are at/going to Hudson about now, We decided to go to the beach. Big smile

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 11:31pm
Holy Cow! That's a pretty big lake you are at. You can't see any land across it-----------LOL Wash that darn salt off ASAP! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Holy Cow! That's a pretty big lake you are at. You can't see any land across it-----------LOL Wash that darn salt off ASAP! John

Must be near Lake Superior!  LOL  LOL
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2014 at 4:56am
Update. Been my daily driver since April. Have the top off too! Only a light rain since last night until about noon today. Of course it started to mist again around 5. LOL

I need to make up a bikini top at the very least. ( and a bar to hold it up) Thinking about getting a roll bar/ cage. One for sale about 2 hours away and I know of one that is sitting in a Jeep about 15 minutes away but not sure if they are willing to sell.

The guy has 2 flat fenders in his driveway that look like they have not moved in a while, so I may stop one day to see if items are available.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2014 at 1:11am
Well it has been sitting for a few weeks now. Cry I am driving my '74 Cherokee all the time now.

I am stock piling on some parts I need to replace.... Head gasket, radiator hoses etc.... started smoking more and more every time I drove it and puking coolant out the reservoir tank.

So no exciting photos today, I will get some when things start getting replaced. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2014 at 7:21pm
Well replaced the head gasket, water pump, hoses, thermostat and oil about two weeks ago. Drove it a couple of times since. It helped but I just have a tired motor. You can see the carbon build up on the pistons. Confused Oh well drive it until I can't.

Today's project: Rebuilding the cheap generic replacement headlight switch I had. Water got into it creating some corrosion resulting in my lights flickering while driving. Took it apart, cleaned everything up and added silicone grease.

You can see the one contact burnt up. There is a small hole in the housing right above this.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2014 at 2:56am
Well the headlight switch worked okay, but I decided to add relays to the system. I ended up replacing the headlight switch. Lights are brighter. I'll get pictures at a later date.

Tonight after work I pulled the Jeep into the shop and changed my transmission and transfer case fluid with SAE 90 GL-1.  Was worried about what I might see in the used lube, I don't remember what I put into it when I first got it together...Embarrassed It actually looked decent so there.

Next thing I change will be the axles oil. I did before when I got the Jeep all together so it has around 3000 miles on it but the stuff that came out looked like tar so for piece of mind it will be changed.

Mileage is at 85534 now. ( This is for my records. LOL)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2014 at 1:47am
Took my front Warn hubs apart last night to clean them up.  They were very difficult to twist from free to the lock position. Now they are much more easier to use.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 4:55pm

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2014 at 5:50pm
Dennis, 
I just went back and looked at what you started with. You have done an amazing job! That is one cool looking jeep.

Your Cherokee looks good too.  Looks like it wants to kick that van's butt. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 51>