Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do to your jeep today Feburary 2019
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do to your jeep today Feburary 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 3:25am
Well nothing actually got done on the Jeep. But hey it’s not what get done. It’s what you get started. 
I started working on the new drive train. Got what I hope are good rebuildable cores. So I can continue to drive mine while I rebuild everything. Then swap it all in over a couple weeks this summer. At least that’s the plan. 

I’m not completely sure what all I got but it looks like a T90 and a D18. With a Ramsey PTO. And a Ramsey winch. Along with a Dana 25 and a 44. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 3:29am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I must be a glutton for punishment, but I started another rebuild project today . . .

You know you love it!  LOL

The forum really benefits from your projects . .  I really like your meticulous attention to detail on your builds.   Your documentation makes it easier for anyone attempting a similar endeavor in the future.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 11:51am
Thanks Ron.  It is of course a labor of love.  I enjoy learning, and by documenting it here, I don't have to rely on my memory.  I can come back here and see what I'm doing Wink
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2019 at 11:55pm
Replace shifting tower poppet balls and springs. Fab up a set of shifting boots and reinstalled the shifting
tower. First project done. Broke down the steering linkages and disassemble them. Next step is you repaint them and start to reassemble them. Doing that since my main project this year is to replace the
bell crank, hubs and bearing. I guess it is as close to a front rebuild I will get.
Here a photo of how my boots came out.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2019 at 3:25am
Roughed out the pieces form my Tail Pipe. And have it ready to weld together YEA.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2019 at 11:20am
I got the M-416 done and out of the shop. I have the two Dana 44's up on stands now. Going to combine the two into one nice full floater for the 2A.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I got the M-416 done and out of the shop. I have the two Dana 44's up on stands now. Going to combine the two into one nice full floater for the 2A.

I too am starting on a rear D44.  Got it mostly torn down yesterday.  This is my first time doing one of these. I'd be glad to see photos and description of your rebuild project.  Maybe start a thread on it?

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I too am starting on a rear D44.  Got it mostly torn down yesterday.  This is my first time doing one of these. I'd be glad to see photos and description of your rebuild project.  Maybe start a thread on it?

Sure thing. I'll add it to my build thread! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2019 at 1:17pm
Great, thanks nofender.

So far this is the only significant problem I've found.  Some rust on 3 of the pinion gear teeth from sitting.  The rest of the teeth and the ring gear look perfect.  I'm soaking the pinion in evaporust now.  After the rust is dissolved, I'll assess how bad it is and determine if its usable.  

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2019 at 1:55am
Almost nothing to day was a clean up your mess day. After spending a good 3 weeks working on the exhaust system I had piles of cutt off tubing piles of used up sandpaper and other abrasives and my grinding room looked like I had been ignoring it for more then a few weeks. SO I cleaned and cleaned and then I went to ACE and bought another LED shop light to hang between my Drill Press, Lathe and Mill Drill. MUCH BETTER.

I need to figure out what thing I am going to attack next. Thinking finishing up on the brake system. I have it all in place just need to put the stuff inside the Brake Drums and connect all the DOTS. I then should see what I can do about the E Brake setup. I need to connect the two cables from the rear brakes and then connect that to the Cable coming down from the Cane on the dash.

That should get me to Friday when I will start on the throttle linkage (waiting on something coming UPS)

I also could go after the Drive shafts I have done NOTHING with them. least I could do is some serious cleaning. I also need to talk to Six States and see how much they will charge to up grade the tubing on my rear M-38 drive shaft to .120 wall DOM tubing. Balancing a drive shaft is out of my comfort zone. As is cutting the ends off one and welding them on a new tube.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 3:09am
I opened up the transmission and transfer case from my parts Jeep 1.  Looked better then expected, other then the bottom portion of the shifter was broken off. 

I also got the transfer case to move in 4 spots, 4L, N, 4H, 2H.
FarmJeep99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmJeep99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 3:12am
Last weekend removed the body, this weekend got engine and transmission and t case out of frame and off to get seals fixed.  I’ll transfer axles to new frame next weekend and Mock up the new steering.  
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 2:39pm
Nice weather in southeast Kansas for a change so I took the old girl out. (Ol' Red, not the girlfriend!) Managed to put 13 miles on her which included about 4 miles offroad in low range. Ol' Red performed real well. Nothing will wake you up like driving windshield down in 40 degree weather.

I do need to address a leaking rear transfer case seal. It isn't real bad, but I do think it is a bit worse than it was last fall.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

notzach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notzach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 3:28pm
We finished removing the engine from the 3B yesterday. Getting ready to pull apart the transfer case and rebuild that. After that is the clutch, u-joints and whatever else I find that's broken.
- 1944 MB "Norm"
- 1960 CJ-3B
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 12:05am
I cleaned, scrubbed and primed my D44 housing today. 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 1:01am
I had to work today so I took my M-38 drive shaft along with me to have the drive shaft shop close to my work retube it with some .120 Wall tubing. The counter guy is always rude. And of course I find out they have to have U-Joints in it to be able to do the work. And since I didn't have any in my pockets (haddn't ordered them yet) I get to pay $8 a piece more for them from the shop. I asked how much he says oh $165-180 PLUS your two $18 U joints. SO that will eat up a big chunk. He then tells me that with all the slop in the splines they might not be able to balance it. WELL CRAP the splines are bone dry I washed all the grease out. Put grease in it and its going to be nice and snug again. It has very little play.

So I guess  I find out how it comes out when they get it done.

Always something
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I had to work today so I took my M-38 drive shaft along with me to have the drive shaft shop close to my work retube it with some .120 Wall tubing. The counter guy is always rude. And of course I find out they have to have U-Joints in it to be able to do the work. And since I didn't have any in my pockets (haddn't ordered them yet) I get to pay $8 a piece more for them from the shop. I asked how much he says oh $165-180 PLUS your two $18 U joints. SO that will eat up a big chunk. He then tells me that with all the slop in the splines they might not be able to balance it. WELL CRAP the splines are bone dry I washed all the grease out. Put grease in it and its going to be nice and snug again. It has very little play.

So I guess  I find out how it comes out when they get it done.

Always something

Shoot. For $219 Tom Woods will build you a completely brand new one. I can't even recall how any he's built for me. I probably paid for his pool! Ha. Top quality stuff.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 1:40am
Well these guys have the market cornered here in the Salem OR area no other dirve line shop I could find. I asked about my employers discount (I drive dump truck ) and we do business with them. He basically just ignored me.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>