Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

0 oil pressure please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 1:34am
I have had several people tell me that the cause is a spun rod bearing. There is no noise and I would think there would be at least a little oil pressure. Could this be the problem?
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:36am
I too would expect at least some noise and oil pressure.
Are you sure the oil pump is pumping?
Could the pickup be loose?
1946 CJ2A 14098
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:37am
Yes! If you spun a main bearing, there could be no oil pressure & no noise. There is a very real possibility that it tossed one or more rods. The only way to tell, is to pull the rods & main to have a look.

When you drained the oil, did it have shiny metal flakes in it? Do you have an oil filter? If so, what does it look like? Is it covered with shiny metal flakes? How about the pickup tube?

Did you notice a theme here?

When you looked at the oil pump, are there grooves in the housing where the gears mesh? Do the gears have grooves in them? Is the outer gear broken or cracked?

Enough questions for now.
Spanky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 6:32pm
I drained the oil and pulled the filter and both were spotless. I also checked the pickup tube and it was clean as well. The oil pump looks fine as well. I have never pulled a main cap before, is there a special method I need to follow or can I just crack em open?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 4:52am
I'd pull one of the inner two main caps and inspect, then put it back and go to the next one.  Pulling the rear will upset your rear main seal.  Could be a problem there afterward.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 2:01am
Spanky please keep us posted as to your problem..be interesting to hear the final diagnoses. ... Michael
mam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12