Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10a 12v bus in a 6v system - it works!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10a 12v bus in a 6v system - it works!
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 3:12am
All,

Wanted to share a project I did today.  Have a 6 volt system that is good and works well.  Didn't need or want to invest in a 12 volt upgrade but wanted a radio and way to charge a cell phone.

Had an older head unit and some unused 4" speakers.  Purchased a 6v-12v 10A converter. Built a harness and voile.  Tunes.  Doesn't seem to draw much from the system, I was worried about overtaxing the generator.

Here are a few picts:

Radio installed.  Need to get the lighter/charger installed, but that's wired and ready to plug in.  Close the glove compartment and it all disappears.  Note the switch under the lighter hole.  That is an on/off switch for the entire 12v bus.  I can shut it down/isolate it and still run the 6v systems.  I didn't want to buy a new head unit so I'll have a headphone jack to plug into the unit to listen from a phone or tablet.

Speakers are covered with a cloth and the frame is secured to the tub in the back and one screw under the dash (I hate making holes).  You can see the inverter to the left of the speakers.  I used the new screw to ground the inverter. 

Here's the entire bus:  6v to the inverter -> 12v out.  1 10amp fuse for the system. On/Off switch. Lighter/Charger has its own 5amp fuse.  Note:  All 12v devices have isolated ground wires back to the inverter.

Here you can see the head unit and the speakers uncovered.  Everything tests out! Sound is good.  Will be fine in the wind.

That's it.  Know you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Edited by tufcj2a - 29 Apr. 2018 at 3:14am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2018 at 4:44am
Yep I was using one of these in the late 70's to have a stereo in my 1940 Dodge 5 window coupe. I believe the radio I had in CHUG back in the day was a 6V AM I know the CB was a Heathkit 6V tube set dad built.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply