Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" brake upgrade hub parts needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbirder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11" brake upgrade hub parts needed
    Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 10:19pm

I have the kit to upgrade my front brakes to 11” on my  CJ2A front axle, I have Warn M3B Lock-O-Matic hubs. Are there any parts I should purchase for the hubs when the upgrade is done.

Thanks

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 12:05am
the 11 inch brakes can be used with any front hub.  Are your hubs in working order?

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Boxbirder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbirder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 6:10am
Yes my hubs are working, I'm not a brake kinda  guy. I am bringing it over to a friens house who has a lift in his garage, my concern is hitting a snag due to needing some part to finish the upgrade, gasket or something that could be needed for the hubs. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 1:25pm
If you are using Willys pickup or Wagon front 11 inch brakes, the hub and drum are together. The drum is mounted to a bolt circle ring with the lug nut studs. so you will need all including bearings and seals. You also need to change the brake tubing or hose that attaches to the wheel cylinder. And the wheel cylinders are not the same as 2A. 

Warn hubs that I've got have 3 ring grooves for axles having a snap ring groove in the end of the axle. If you have the castlelated nuts, the hubs are taller and have 5 ring grooves. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 2:07pm
An excellent primer on this can be found here

https://cj3b.info/Tech/Brakes11inch.html
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Boxbirder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbirder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 7:40pm
Here is the set up I have with the hoses. My axles were redone when I had it restored a few months ago. 
I am a little excited to get these installed since I have to drive in traffic when I take it to my office.

Edited by Boxbirder - 10 Sep. 2017 at 7:42pm
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 11:52pm
the wheel cylinder setup you received will probably use the hose from a mid seventies jeep long hose that threads into wheel cylinder and will require the hose guard to be removed for clearance and connected to the hardline at the axle tube. this leaves a loop of flexline above the wheel cyl and makes it harder to bleed air out of your system as long as your mechanic is aware then all is good or you can have him install the different wheel cyl from a f350 rear axle (info in link and "Z" brakeline) to have a setup similar to what it looks like now. either way is fine and you will love the bigger brakes, I have my stock master cylinder on my jeeps with the 11" brakes no issues at all.

As far as hub parts goes, I am not familiar with the hubs you have but I have used RTV in place of the paper gasket where it bolts to the hub. 

the jeep 15" rims have clearance issues with the finned drums if that what you have, www.rockauto.com has nonfinned drums for $29 each if you need them, just look up parts for a '72 cj5

Edited by jeeper50 - 11 Sep. 2017 at 12:02am

Boxbirder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbirder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 7:58pm
Dialed up the Z tubing parts and the f350 wheel cylinders. I'll post up some pics once we start the project.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 1:49pm

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 2:20pm

Since you don't put the drums behind the wheel hubs due to they are wider do you need

longer lug bolts since the drum will be in front of the hubs, and will these work with stock willy rims?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:46pm
Yes they work with stock lug bolts, but you can replace them with longer studs, but the mid 70's lug bolts have a different spline dia, so some research is necessary. I have been running the 11" brakes with stock bolts for the last 11 yrs- no issues.

found my post about that very thing

Edited by jeeper50 - 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:50pm

Post Reply Post Reply