Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 GPW Ford I6 to T-84 adapter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChevyKeith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 GPW Ford I6 to T-84 adapter?
    Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 12:27pm
Its a long way from stock but I am working on it with my grandson hoping to get him a little mroe interested in mechanical things.  I have no illusions of ever making it perfect, just close enough and usable.

It has a ford I6 - 200 CID motor and a C60A-6394-C bell housing. This is mostly bolted to a T-84 transmission.  The problem is the clutch and throw out lever and bearing are not working right and of course only half the bolts exist holding it together.  I think they just used whatever they found rather than the correct adapters.  

I was hoping someone had some ideas what parts I would need to get these working together.  Everything I see on websites is about the T-90 and I really don't know if the adapters sold for a T-90 would work on a T-84.  Or if this is mission impossible and I should bail and sell the T84 and get a T90 or where to go from here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Keith
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 1:24pm
Keith,

Welcome to the Cj2A page!  It is great to see you getting your grandson involved in mechanical things.  

If it were me - I would put a Willys/Ford L134 engine back into this Jeep.  Engines are available used, part are available, straight forward rebuild - if needed, great engine for people to learn on and bolts up to you T84 with a standard bell housing.  

There is another group call G503 that specializes in WWII Jeeps that you might also ask this question too.  The WWII Jeep had the T-84 transmission.  The CJ2A only came with the the T-90.  The G503 group would know what adapter you might need.

Again welcome to the CJ2A page.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 1:30pm
Just my opinion, since I own jeeps with both a T90 and T84. The T90 is a way better transmission to shift, it would be well worth your time to go with the T90 and the parts are much easier to come and cheaper.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
ChevyKeith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChevyKeith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 11:00pm
Thanks
Maybe I should convert to T90 and then sell this to someone who wants the original T84...

Since I already have a runningmotor this seems easiest/cheapest
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2018 at 12:55am
Originally posted by ChevyKeith ChevyKeith wrote:

Thanks
Maybe I should convert to T90 and then sell this to someone who wants the original T84...

Since I already have a runningmotor this seems easiest/cheapest

Let me know if that's what you want to do. Maybe I can help you find a T-90, and I can use the T-84. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply