Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 MB 425051

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopps1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 MB 425051
    Posted: 30 Mar. 2014 at 11:26am
Been wanting to post some info about my little project, 1945 MB #425051.  I have owned this jeep for almost 15 years.  Out of that 15 years, it has been most of its time in pieces.  In the last few years I have finally been able to get the work done to complete this decade long task on restoring it.  For those that might happen the 'G', here is a link of my on going restoration update:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=221276

I bought this jeep in 1998 after my Grandfather told me about it.  I used my US Army bonus money to buy it.  I think it is the best investment I could make! Big smile 

The body was shot.  Lots of bondo covered up all the rust on it.  I wanted to save the tub so a body kit was out of the question.  After the fact, I wish I would have bought the kit and would probably be driving it now instead of still working on it.  I bought all the panels and spent years just dreading the day I had to cut it up and try and put it back together.  Finally a buddy of mine gave me the needed boost (or maybe the kick in the arse LOL ) it get me going.  We disassembled the tub and slowly fitted it all back together. 

Sadly in the end, the only thing left that is original is the cowling, right rear quarter panel and right rear inner finder.  Everything else is brand new.  So did I really save the original tub? Ermm

We built a new inner fender on the left side:

Some pictures of fitting it all together.

Me with the spot welder Smile

On 4/23/11, the outer 'shell' of the jeep was completed with it's last weld at the seam on the passenger side.

The next step was fitting the front floor in and boy was that a fight!

You can also find a ton pf photos on my photo account at:
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1099

More to come shortly.

Edited by hopps1945 - 06 Apr. 2014 at 4:17pm
Nick
1943 GPW
1945 MB
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2014 at 8:08pm
That looks real good Nick.  Looking forward to this thread.

Questions:
Is the motor original?  If so, what's the serial number?
What's the story on the slat grill I see in the back ground?

Thanks for posting
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
hopps1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopps1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2014 at 5:14am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

That looks real good Nick.  Looking forward to this thread.

Questions:
Is the motor original?  If so, what's the serial number?
What's the story on the slat grill I see in the back ground?

Thanks for posting

Thanks!  The motor is not original, sadly.  When I bought it, it had a (later) CJ2  motor in it. I traded it for an earlier CJ motor.  One of the transitional from military to civilian.  That motor for lack of better terms was 'sold' (without my knowledge).  Because of this, I was able to acquire a MB motor from this person's collection of motors. ( From the guy who sold my motor).  So, that is how I ended up with this motor.  Anyway, from what I can gather from the original title, the original motor was MB566985.  The number on this motor is MB507708.  I could not find a date stamped on the bottom like everyone says should be there.  The funny thing is, over the last few years helping rebuild quite a few of these, I have yet to find that date on any of them.  Technically the block is earlier than the jeep, but I put in all studs and a late series head so most people would not have a clue. 

As for the Slat grill, that's my buddies. Tons of original stuff on it other than the body is a bit shot.  Kinda cool as it has all the field modifications (added trailer socket, added blackout light, rear support at top of rear panel and jerry can holder added.)    The frame and full running gear are in great shape and the motor runs like a dream.  Absolutely no problem at all!  It is still in line to get done (someday.) Customers work has got in the way and he is working on a 1941 Chevy 1 1/2 ton.  This truck is the civilian conversion to military so it still holds all the civilian qualities inside the cab. 

I'll try and get caught up with all the pictures and info to date.

Edited by hopps1945 - 04 Apr. 2014 at 1:43pm
Nick
1943 GPW
1945 MB
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2014 at 6:20am
Neat project, lots 'o (good)work Big smile I did have to look up where Newman Lake was, looks like you can almost throw a rock into Idaho.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
hopps1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopps1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2014 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Neat project, lots 'o (good)work Big smile I did have to look up where Newman Lake was, looks like you can almost throw a rock into Idaho.

ThanksSmile   Yup, from my backyard I can just about throw a rock into Idaho.
Nick
1943 GPW
1945 MB
hopps1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopps1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2014 at 4:32pm
Figure I'll try and get the timeline caught up.

After the body was back together, time to start adding all the 'other' pieces to it.

With most of the body work done, I turned my attention back to the frame.  Still had to replace the rear crossmember and do a little cleanup before I could re-paint it.

My fake rivets

The driver seat need a little attention.  One of the feet were bad so I cut on off of a junk seat to fix mine.

Broken mounting tab.

All better!

Well, getting closer to where she currently is.  The work up to this point is all early last year.  Sadly I do not have a lot of time for the old girl so the restoration process has been quite long.  I'm just glad to see that I am continuing to move forward on the project even though it has taken me many, many years to complete.

More to follow.

Nick
1943 GPW
1945 MB
hopps1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopps1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2014 at 5:47am
Will try and get my pictures caught up to current date.

Memorial day weekend 2013 was spent painting the body.

The body sat till October when I started getting the wiring harness and other parts on it.

The beginning of 2014 was good.  I didn't think I was going to be able to purchase the engine parts until later in the year.  Instead I was able to purchase almost everything at the first of the year.  By the end of January I had started the rebuild.   the summer prior the block, head and crank went to the engine shop to be checked, bored and such.  When I got the block back, the cam and valves were also in.  So my portion of the rebuild should be fairly easy.   The front engine mounting plate was NOS so I had to clean it before i could use it.

March I was able to get the rest of the big items blasted, primed and painted.

End of March was exciting for me.  Finally got to put the motor back on the frame.

That brings me up to date.  Just the other day I tested the front sheet metal to see how everything would fit.  Think it looks good!

Nick
1943 GPW
1945 MB
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 4:55am
YOU ARE DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB!Clap
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
hopps1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopps1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2014 at 1:02am
Originally posted by combat combat wrote:

YOU ARE DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB!Clap

Thanks Frank!  It's been a blast to see it all come back together.  As you can see in the first picture.  It has been many, many years since I have seen it in one piece!  (1998).

Smile
Nick
1943 GPW
1945 MB
 Post Reply Post Reply