Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 MB Scout Car?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SectionA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 MB Scout Car?
    Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:02pm
Howdy friends,

After years of making excuses and telling myself all the reasons I could never own or restore an old Willys, I finally got off the couch to pursue the dream I've had since childhood.

I bought a 1945 Willys off Craigslist sight unseen. It arrived yesterday and I've been working on it every spare moment I can find. 

While inspecting the frame I found a small plate behind the front bumper identifying the jeep as a 1945 MB Scout Car. 

Can anyone shed some light on that for me? Google wasn't much help. It's got a CJ-2a grill and tailgate, so that's what I assumed it was until finding that VIN plate.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Here are some photos:

Edited by SectionA - 15 July 2017 at 4:28pm
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:17pm
Welcome!
  Pictures will help for sure. It is possible it is a complete CJ2A on top of a MB frame or it could be like mine and others, A mix mash of many Jeeps (and jeeps) to make one complete one.

Either way you now own something you have wanted since childhood now! If it runs drives and stops, enjoy it! Work on it a little bit at a time but so it is still usable.

Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:34pm
Looks like an MB Windshield.  CJ2A body.  Looks great!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:00pm
I would be interested in whether it has a T84 transmission in it or not. It looks to me like someone put a 2A body on a MB frame and axles. If it is a MB frame it should have a place for a gun mount on the frame. I agree that it is a MB windshield. The rear implement mount could have been added.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

SectionA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SectionA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:59pm
What's the best way to determine whether or not its a T84?

I do have plans to mount a Browning .30 down the road, of course. That would be great.

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by SectionA SectionA wrote:

What's the best way to determine whether or not its a T84?

I do have plans to mount a Browning .30 down the road, of course. That would be great.

Look on side of transmission case. T90 or T84 will be cast into it.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

SectionA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SectionA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 9:22pm
I'm also trying to solve the mystery of my mismatched seats. 

The passenger side is taller than the driver's seat. I'm going to cover them both with canvas, but the height difference bothers me. The previous owner swapped out fuel tanks, but i don't think thats the culprit. Anyone have any ideas?

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 10:22pm
Folks,

Take another look at that tag. Maybe I am missing something. I don't think I have ever seen a tag with the words mb, jeep, and scout car.

Jeep was never an official designation was it? right after the war it was in legal limbo while it was fought over wasn't it?

Scout car was never an official designation was it?

The JEEP does look like an over stamp on an original tag?

Edited by willys54wagon - 15 July 2017 at 10:27pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:12am
The tag is appropriate for a late MB frame, but you can't just drop a 2A tub on an MB frame because of the rear upper shock mounts.  Were those moved?  Is the machine gun mount plate there on the frame crossmember?  That also makes it hard to drop a 2A tub on an MB frame.  I see an MB rear axle; maybe this is one of those VEC transition Jeeps?  No wait, that would have a column shift.  A T-84 tranny has 4 bolts holding the top cover on, the T-90 has 6 bolts.  The seat frames don't fit because they aren't for a 2A, but either an M-38 or a 3A.  I can't see the tub drain holes behind the front fenders.  Is this an early repro 2A tub?  Seems unlikely with the top bow storage brackets and all the footman loops there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:28am
Congratulations.  Looks great.

The driver seat frame is a 2A.  The passenger seat frame is 3A or M38.  These don't fit right in a 2A tub.

How about some photos of the engine and bottom side of the hood?

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 3:12pm
Military frame wouldn't have a drawbar on the back would it? 
Looks, to me, like a 2A with a full float axle and some other military parts added. Nice looking JEEP in any case.

Edited by wheelie - 16 July 2017 at 3:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 2:11am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

The driver seat frame is a 2A.

The forward cross tube isn't welded to the top of the side tubes, so I wondered if it's a 2A seat frame.  I'm still doubtful, but open to correction.

Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

Military frame wouldn't have a drawbar on the back

That bolts up easily and the frame does have that tag... Confused

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 17 July 2017 at 2:17am
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The driver seat frame is a 2A.

The forward cross tube isn't welded to the top of the side tubes, so I wondered if it's a 2A seat frame.  I'm still doubtful, but open to correction?

On the driver side, the leg bends heading toward the floor are distinctly different when comparing a 3A seat frame to a 2A seat frame.  His has the 2A bend.

3A pan supports are made from formed bar steel .  2A pan supports are made from tube steel.  His pan support is tube steel.  Although, the center pan support has been removed...and the front support has been moved to the underside of the frame rails.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:41am

...the front support has been moved to the underside of the frame rails.

This is a real Bubba thing, I guess.  Why would someone move that tube?  Other than to confuse me, I mean... Confused

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 1:46pm
To give about an inch more space between leg and steering wheel while using the same thickness seat cushion (?)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

Military frame wouldn't have a drawbar on the back

That bolts up easily and the frame does have that tag... Confused
But the rear cross member also has a hole for the PTO drive and appears to be longer on the left for a license plate which is not correct for late MB frame......  Very strange

Luke,  Welcome to the forum.  I recommend watching this video and then let us know what you find out:

Edited by jpet - 18 July 2017 at 2:05pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:58pm
Welcome to the forum neighbor, I live 30 minutes north of you near Bedford, KY.  Nice jeep too!
Valley Rock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valley Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:32pm
Bringin this back ....

Was over at a buddy's yesterday and spied an old Jeep out in his back 40, walked out to take a gander and spied a 9 slot grill and he showed me this little tag on the frame horn that I researched and ironically it lead me here .

I don't recall seeing one of these before and thought it was pretty cool .

I shall attempt to post a few pics 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>