Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a Willys Jeep finds a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2015 at 1:46pm
Thats because its on the main page Wink. Its also been discussed a 1000 times in many sections, but here you go: http://www.thecj2apage.com/paint.html#wheelcolours

Current: '48 CJ2A #188461, '97 Jeep TJ, 2010 JK Unlimited (wife's), and a '97 Jeep Cherokee
Sold: '71 CJ5, '61 Willys Wagon
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2015 at 2:41pm
Hi,
congrats for your CJ-2A.
Luzon Red bodies has Universal Beige wheels with LR stripes.
HereĀ“s mine :
Cheers.

CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2015 at 1:46am
Thanks Dirtmonkey for the link.  Sorry I'm such a dud.  Nice Willys CHARLIE JEEP!  Thanks for the info and picture!  The progress on the Jeep is slow due to winter weather.  Mostly saving my money, gathering a few parts and research.  I did write the fellow that was on the title hoping to find some history on the old girl.  It's been a while ago so I guess I won't be hearing from him.  Nuts.  Should be posting pictures of my progress soon.   
1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2015 at 2:55pm
Hi gang.  Things are moving along slowly.  I am making progress though.  I thought I would post a fix I've come up with for the parking light application of my altered grill.  This could be put in the classification of a "bubba fix" but for those on a budget that cannot or may not want to replace their grill it's an option.  Having said this, I do want to thank a fellow site member whom I'll simply call Mike for helping with a replacement grill.  What I did is punched a 7/16th inch hole in a piece of metal.  I suggest using a punch because, as you can see in the picture, it makes a nice clean hole.  The metal can be whatever you want to use that is substantial enough to perform the task.  I then took a tool like a nail set but shaped like a medium size straight screwdriver and set the nibs.  The nibs will likely be larger than required and will have to be dressed down with a file for the socket to fit.  The metal can be shaped and applied to the grill however works for you and fits your specific needs.  That's it.  Hope it helps.

1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2015 at 2:57pm
Here's a couple more pictures.

1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 1:43pm
Working on the old girl as time and weather permits.  Here's a couple of wheels with what a local paint shop says is Universal Beige.  The color works for me.  Also, a replacement grill in primer.  Will need to fill a couple of holes before it's ready for paint.

1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2015 at 2:18am

Slowly making progress weather permitting.  This is what my local paint shop's Luzon Red looks like.

1947 CJ2a #155307
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2015 at 3:07am
Grill painted, wheels looking great, ordering parts. You're in for the fight of your life and the Willys is winning. No use in fighting it. Just go with the flow and enjoy.
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2015 at 12:52am
Scored some spare parts today.  I needed a better inner windshield.  This one has some surface rust but should clean up nicely.  I think I can fabricate a side mirror out of the parts in the picture.  Hope the carburetors are correct.  I'm still learning this stuff.
1947 CJ2a #155307
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2015 at 2:41am
Thats about 1/2 a willys worth of parts. NICE
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2015 at 1:18pm
Nice job on the grill, sure looks better now. Are you sure that's the one I traided you?
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2015 at 11:49pm
Progress has been slow due to winter weather but today was exciting when FedEx rang the doorbell.

1947 CJ2a #155307
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2015 at 5:23am
The new tires will look great on your freshly painted rims. Fresh grill. I think this is the way I should have attacked my 2a, one step at a time and and still able to drive her.
Phil
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2015 at 10:10am
Both carbs are Carter WO 636's and correct for your motor.
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 4:01am
Hi guys.  It's been a while since I've posted on my Jeep.  Life happens and sadly sometimes these projects have to take a backseat.  I'm trying to get back at it.  Being an old man, I'm an analog guy living in a digital world.  I have two questions that I hope you will understand my asking.  First is, I've been trying to find the video about the guy using a plastic bucket to pin stripe his wheels.  So far I haven't been able to find it.  Also, some of the photos others have posted are not loading, saying I need to update my account to host a third party image or something like that.  I went to my profile and didn't see anything about updating anything.  Any help and/or suggestions and your patience is sincerely appreciated.    
1947 CJ2a #155307
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 4:15am
You're a secondary victim to the photobucket betrayal... no fault on your part, nothing any of us can do (lol, except pony up)

ETA:  sign going up in my garage this weekend:

"analog spoken here" ;)

Edited by mbullism - 25 Aug. 2017 at 4:17am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 11:57am
Good to see you are back at it Gary. 

You won't have any problems using the bucket method, post was from lowenuf on 7-01-08 if you want to read thru it. He used a paint pen  and a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. Center the bucket 3.5" from the lip of the inner bead lip and weight it down to keep it in place while you trace around it. I did it a while back on my Sunday go to meet- en jeep and it turned out great. If I can do it you won't have any trouble  

Mike

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 1:10pm
I found the paint pen method really easy too. The hardest thing was finding a good chisel point paint pen. the one I found was a "sharpie bold point oil-base paint marker", finally found one at home Depot in black but I'm not sure they still carry them. I jacked each wheel up, rested the marker on a bucket and turned the wheel by hand.

Edited by 48willys - 25 Aug. 2017 at 1:12pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>