Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 Craigslist Barn Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 1:44am
So recently I won a scholarship through my school from the Olde Tyme Auto Club by writing an essay, and I was one person of three that were selected out of the automotive students at Ivy Tech.  The scholarship was for $500 of Snap-On tools.  And in my essay I wrote about my Jeep and my Dad's Nova.  This is the night I received the award.
The guy in the background is Papa Smurf.

Edited by Becca - 10 May 2015 at 1:48am
1947 Willys CJ-2A
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:55am
Congratulations!
You deserve to feel proud about your academic success.
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:14pm
Does anybody know the measurements for the cross-member tube and the shock mounts to the front of the frame?  I lost my notebook that had them in it.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 6:48pm
   Measurements from inside of bumper -

Center of shock stud 16 1/2"
   front of cross tube  12"

Keep up the good work

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 11:10pm
That is just awesome!  Congratulations. Big smile  I'm going to have to show this thread to my daughter, she's 11, turns 12 this summer, and thinks she wants to build up a TJ for her first rig before she's 16.  I told her it's a bit of work, so she better be in the garage helping me now on the CJ2A so she can learn something first! haha Embarrassed

Keep up the great work, Becca!
1946 CJ2A powered by Chevy 350
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:43pm
My Dad ran across a forum that you might like to share with your daughter.  It's on a fiero forum website or you can look up 'The Girl Who Played With Fieros'.  Her story is really good.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:56am
Way Cool! Congratulations.

I am sure that you already have bought the Snappy tools. I will bet that you had a big wish list going already.

I am also sure that Papa Smurf is proud of you!

Keep up the good work! Cpt Logger.
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2015 at 11:40pm
I am slowly collecting parts, my front bumper the gussets and license plate holder came in yesterday.  I have a few mods to do to them to get them to fit right after I do I will post pics.  Papa Smurf is pretty pleased I think Cpt Logger and I have already bought the tools.  Got a hub puller for the Jeep a welding helmet and an air filter mask.  They all work really well.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 1:51am
Okay for I finally got the front crossmember tube in and tacked it in.  Had problems getting it to fit in because of the rivets in the way on the inside so i cut two notches out an it fit right in.  Also had a problem with the frame beggining to twist because of lack of support.  So In the end putting in the transmission bracket holder thing back on and used some winches to press the pipe in place using the measurments ya'll gave me and I worked out just fine and took the twist right out of the frame.  Oh, and with some research I did while labteching I got to find out that there is a frame tag that goes on the front frame rail on the driver's side.  That went with the wind whenver I got rid of the old frame rails that one of the owners before me had beefed up and welded a bumper onto. so back to the internet I go.

Edited by Becca - 11 July 2015 at 2:02am
1947 Willys CJ-2A
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 1:29am

Well, it's been a whill since I've been on here.  It got really buisy at work with a bunch of changes going on, so less time for my money hole and the funds were eaten by school so no money for parts.  But for the last three weeks or so it has died down enough to get something done finally.  To help prevent "crushing" of the frame at the cross member pipe I decided to go and make up some plates to weld inside of the frame to strengthen it and make it more rigid.  Made four of those and used up two cutting disks and hand grinder disks shaping them just right because using a plasma torch would be just too easy to do.  After getting those complete I decided that going and making up some plates to weld inside of the frame with holes drilled in and nuts welded on would be a good idea seaing as it would be next to imposible to get to them after the framing plates were welded in.

1947 Willys CJ-2A
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 1:38am
Keep plugging away at it and perhaps one day you’ll join your fellow Hoosiers on one of our excursions.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 1:42am
Anybody going to Frog Follies this weekend?  Would love to hear a Jeep run in person.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2015 at 1:26am
Where & What is it?
    1945 CJ2a 11495
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2015 at 2:30am
Really fun car show / swap meet in Evansville.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2015 at 4:56pm
Thanks, sounds good.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
GeoJeepers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJeepers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2015 at 7:20pm
You are awesome!  Keep up the good work...there is nothing I have found that compares to driving an old Willys Jeep...especially one that you fixed yourself.
1946 CJ2A's 34480 and 73087. I'm trying my best to not be a hoarder....but it's so hard.
Becca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Becca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2015 at 8:19pm
Well, sometime down the line, maybe a few years, I hope to get him on the road and to figure out how to drive him.  As for the Frog Follies, it is a really cool car show in where vehicles from around WW2 and below are in abundance.  There is also a swap meet and temporary tool shops and nick nack shops in the different buildings and under tents.  It is this weekend from Friday to Sunday at the 4H Fairgrounds in Evansville along highway 41, Darmstaught RD, just follow the cars.

Today I talked the old man into stick welding the front frame to box it in. He wasn't too amused with me.  He had this grand hope to work on his air box for his prodject, a 89 ford ranger that he is putting a chevy 350 in it.  But here is what I got him to do today...

I also got my boss on the welding side of Ivy Tech to weld my bumper with towing D-rings.
1947 Willys CJ-2A
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2015 at 1:50pm
Wow.
I see greatness.

It's good and admirable to have skills and to do work to move a project forward by one's self, but the ability to manage people toward accomplishing a goal has a compounding effect.

That's how pyramids, and fortunes are built.

Keep up the good work!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>