Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 TC-3 18707

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 TC-3 18707
    Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 3:11am
Found this fella on CL in the Boston area last week and picked it up Saturday. It's registered as a 1952 but I have no idea if the S/N supports the date on the reggie. There's no rust through or body damage and I got a fair deal on the purchase price.

I know that the bows and racks are not correct. The bow brackets look to be M-37.

There are some things missing like the Arrow tail lamp, correct safety chains, tailgate chains, and the tie down hook on tailgate. I also will need to find some small parts for the coupling but the coupler is there.

There are some things that were done that need to be undone. There are several holes drilled into the body. The tail lights are wrong (however period correct). I may choose to keep them. 

I'll be uploading a bunch more pics soon.

I'm not sure what direction to take with this trailer but it's completely out of the weather until I decide. What is for sure is that I'll use it on our farm for light projects and trips to the grain store. I think I'll deal with the little rust that's there and clear coat. The patina is nice the way it is.

Anyone have any leads on where to find safety and tailgate chains with the correct hooks? I also need a tie down hook.

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by compostwerks - 17 Dec. 2015 at 1:39pm
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 8:44pm
Hey Pete - Great looking trailer. I think that serial number makes it a '47. I have #17287 just north of you. Not sure if CJ 2A/3A tailgate chains are exact but they are pretty close. 
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2015 at 9:42pm
"...and I got a fair deal on the purchase price."

Since you found it all but in my backyard, lol, I need to hear that you WAY overpaid and that it's going to need a ton of work Wink

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
compostwerks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Ryan_M Ryan_M wrote:

Hey Pete - Great looking trailer. I think that serial number makes it a '47. I have #17287 just north of you. Not sure if CJ 2A/3A tailgate chains are exact but they are pretty close. 

Thank you Ryan....I'm so excited about the new addition. I've been looking for the right candidate for quite a while.

Based upon the data base on the BT3 site it looks like you're correct about it being a 47. I will attempt to get it registered correctly at the DMV. 

It looks like 2A tailgate chains might not be long enough....judging from comparing some pictures. I dunno...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2015 at 12:25am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

"...and I got a fair deal on the purchase price."

Since you found it all but in my backyard, lol, I need to hear that you WAY overpaid and that it's going to need a ton of work Wink

MB

Hey, this is my back yard too! 

It could be a ton of work but I kind of like the way it is....mostly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2015 at 1:10am
My connection is so slow where I am visiting family in Ohio but here's a few more pics....

Never mind the rebar...PO used it to hold tarp down...

Edited by compostwerks - 16 Dec. 2015 at 1:12am
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2015 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by compostwerks compostwerks wrote:

There are some things missing like the Arrow tail lamp, correct safety chains, tailgate chains, and the tie down hook on tailgate. I also will need to find some small parts for the coupling but the coupler is there.
The tail lights are wrong (however period correct). I may choose to keep them. 
Anyone have any leads on where to find safety and tailgate chains with the correct hooks? I also need a tie down hook.

Pete,
Nice trailer!  Hope you can add your trailer details to the database on Arts T3-C website!  As far as parts are concerned, to my understanding there are no civilian trailer vendors.  You'll need to rely on scanning the military trailer vendors as well as other trailer sources.

I noticed Midwest Military is at least one vendor that offers coupler chains that are close to the originals.  I also noticed that DL Bensinger offers the tie down hooks.  There are more vendors that will also have these parts as well.

Some parts were sent to Rommel Juan (MD Juan) to see if he'd be able to reproduce some missing parts that no one else supplies.  No word that I've heard on how that's going.  Coupler parts may be obtained by looking at suppliers that offer knob-style couplers for the parts.  Keep in mind your coupler should be a 1 7/8"  vs. a 2"

So far, I've noticed two styles of tailgate chains.  You can see both types on Arts website.  There is the simple link style similar to the jeep tailgate style and the other is called a "Single Loop" chain.  I have the second style and it was welded to the rear support plate.

I've seen two taillight styles that come close to the Arrow.  The Ford model A taillight (nice writeup by bkreutz here):
http://bantamt3c.com/bantamtaillampproject.htm

and the Dietz 100/613 style:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/arrow-41_topic21188.html

Search in the trailer section for more ideas on options.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2015 at 4:03pm
Hey thanks Rus. This is very helpful.

I'll check out those parts suppliers for sure. I've sent Art a few pictures and back ground info earlier this week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compostwerks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2015 at 6:22pm
I have some progress to report. Found this box of parts for the coupler. At $9.99 on Ebay, it was a no brainer to take a chance that it would work.

The box didn't list the 0-6 components but it looks like I'm set. It would appear that the only difference is that the kit has four sided knob in stead of the correct 8 sided unit. Here's what I now have;

The only internal piece to the coupler that came with the trailer is in the bottom left of the above picture. It is identical the shiny new one to the right. Here is the coupler as it stands now. The PO burglar proofed by drilling a hole for a lock. The PVC pipe and chain and dolly wheels bolted to the leg to facilitate moving the trailer around by hand. This junk will obviously come off.

Post Reply Post Reply