Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
    Posted: 06 July 2017 at 2:26pm
Hello - Steve here, from Saranac Michigan. I've been into Jeeps for a long time. I have a 97 Tj that I've done a bit of work to, it sits on 35's, locked, cage, upgraded axles, etc.

A couple years ago, we moved into an old farm house that has a great pole building out back. This was once a full auto repair shop, so it has two in-ground hoists and an overhead chain lift that runs the length of the building, compressed air to every corner, multiple 220 welding outlets, etc. I call it the Jeep Cave and I feel very fortunate to have this heated shop to play in...

Recently I had an opportunity to pick up a 1948 Willys. It belonged to the grandfather, then father of a friend. They had it up at their cabin since 1961 and basically used it to drag the beach and go on icecream runs. It came time to get rid of it and I was called. I picked it up and drug it back home to the Jeep Cave...

The jeep runs like a kitten, but the body is rough. The tub floor has been patched, the original gas tank is gone, lots of rust... I would guess it's pretty much what you'd expect for a 70 year old vehicle that's been in Michigan it's whole life.

As I mentioned, it runs well, starts and purrs like a kitten, but smokes a bit.

Oil pressure, voltage and temperature gauges work. Speedo and gas level do not.

The speedo cable was ripped off the t-case and wrapped around the front propeller shaft.

No lights work.

No brakes. the Master cylinder was empty and bone dry. I'll need to fill and bleed and go from there. 

The parking brake cable was seized in the engaged position and as soon as I unhooked the cable, the jeep rolled a lot easier... :)

High, Low, 2WD and 4WD all work as they should.

I've got two kids in college, so no big restoration fund for me. So my plan is to just learn as much about this Good Dog as I can. Change all fluids, clean off all the old layers of grease and grime, etc.

Make a list of things it needs.

I'd like to patch one spot on the frame, get the lights functional and brakes working. 

My goal is to do just enough to make it road legal. Corner ice cream shop is about as far as it needs to go. 

I just love the way it smells and how simple these things are. It's really a beautiful dog just the way it sits....

Wish me luck, I'll keep this thread posted with what I find.

Steve

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 2:53pm
Welcome to the forum Steve and I look forward to your posts.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 2:53pm
Welcome, Steve.. looks like a great start Smile

(and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't drooling over your workspace Thumbs Up )

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 2:58pm
I love The Good Dog. It's a beautiful machine with a great name. Welcome to the forum. 

You just might find that putting The Good Dog to a challenge on a rough trail is more of a thrill than your modern rigs. 

Trying to figure out what that gadget is between the seats that runs up to the shifters.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 3:08pm
Welcome!  I was also wondering what that was between the seats. Looks like a some sort of brake line lock.

Data --->http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 3:49pm
Welcome! I like the Scout wheels. What size are the tires? 

48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 5:06pm
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

The lever between the seats is a hydraulic control valve. I'm assuming that it had a lift cylinder for a plow at one point. the copper lines run up to the front bumper. I took this monstrosity of a mount off the front bumper last night. I bet it weighs 80 lbs.

If you look at the picture of the engine in my first post you can see the hydraulic oil reservoir on the drivers side, just behind the horn. There is a small belt going to a pump right under that reservoir. 

I'll take a few more pictures and post them after work tonight. I'll also check the wheel/tire size. I had no idea they were scout wheels. I figure they just found something that fit.  

I'm sure I'll have a list of questions you all can help me with as well.

Thanks All.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2017 at 6:44pm
Looks like the seats have been modified. And theres a number of other changes but your plan sounds good. Get it running and stopping proper then enjoy it. Once them kids get done sucking your money up you can think serious on what you might like to do to improve it. Lots of stuff costs little money to do. So have fun.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 1:23am
The tires are 8.45x15 super sport wide oval track tires. 

Here's a better pic of the hydraulic pump and lever between the seats. 

And the pump...

Edited by srlbotanical - 07 July 2017 at 1:55pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 2:21am
Welcome aboard. That's a good start for a project, enjoy it.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 2:24am
Welcome, really good to know another jeep enthusiast in the area. With Freedom 21, Overland, myself, and you, that makes 4 flatfenders within 40mi. We got the makings of a parade! To borrow a phrase from Shadow in Canada (I watched the vid) Let's go for a rip eh bud? I've got a 48 also, the engine compartment looks very similar even have the same hyd. control in the same spot. I've learned volumes about my 48 because of the fine gentlemen and women of this form. If I can help P.M. me. We have a house in Ionia and go by Saranac a lot. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 3:20am
Wow Joe, It's nice to know there are a few of us close by. Man, I'd love for you to stop up any time your rolling through. I'll drop you a PM. Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 3:26am
I forgot to mention that I'd really love to get rid of the sparkly green bass boat seats... I'd almost rather just sit on the plywood.

If any of you have some cheap ideas, I'm all ears....
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:17am
Nice ! And Welcome! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 6:06pm
The master cylinder was bone dry and the rear hose was cracked. 

I replace the rear brake hose going to the axle and bled the brakes last night.

The front peddle does not go to the floor anymore, I have about 2 inches of travel. 

The rear brakes bled perfectly.

I couldn't get anything but a trickle from the pass front and drivers front was dry, I couldn't get anything to bleed.

I now have rear brakes, but both front wheels will spin when the jeep is on the lift and the brake is applied.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Phil_IA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 6:11pm
Front brake hoses had deteriorated and plugged on mine. New hoses fixed it. 
48 CJ2A "Squeaky" owned since 1978
2010 Grand S Limited
2000 XJ
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2017 at 6:16pm
I'm actually surprised that you got the brakes to pump up at all. After these things sit for a while the brake lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder start to rust up and won't function. Many of us replace the whole thing including all the steel and rubber lines.

I think I would break the connection at the wheel cylinder the have your assistant give a little pressure on the pedal and see if you've got fluid to the wheel cylinder. If yes, replace the cylinder, if no, replace the lines to that cylinder. Both the steel and rubber lines can get plugged up with rust and gunk.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:45pm
Well, this morning I noticed fluid all over the inside of the rear drivers side wheel. I think I'm just going to start with all fresh brake lines and wheel cylinders.

Fortunately, I have a friend with the special otc hub puller, so I can get the drums pulled off and I'll take a good look at everything.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>