Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2017 at 8:25pm
Well, the Good Dog is full of suprises... I started with the brakes, ordered all new wheel cyliners, master cylinder, and brake shoes. 

I got all of the hubs/drums off. The rear drivers side was the toughest. Fortunately a good friend had the old-school hub puller I needed and I was able to get everything apart. None of the brakes were in good shape. I'm replacing everything except the backing plate and some of the hardware.

This led to the realization that the rear axle is in far worse shape than I anticipated. I knew I had a pinion bearing problem. It was obvious that the rear pinion had been leaking oil for a long time. It also had both up/down and side/side movement. 

When I opened the differential, I found the wonderful chocolate pudding that comes from the emulsification of  water and gear oil. Good stuff. This is what the T-case oil looked like, the diffs were even thicker... 

I also found the remnants of roller bearings in the bottom of the housing.  The carrier has significant side/side movement. So I now know that at least one carrier bearing and the inner pinion bearing have completely failed and dropped debris into the housing to be churned up for who knows how long... This is a shot after I cleaned it up with a couple cans of brake cleaner.

So, my next steps are as follows:

Remove the springs and axle completely, this will allow me to put the axle up on some stands and completely tear it apart. 

I also have a small area of the frame at the spring hanger that needs to be patched/repaired. 

I guess it will be a little longer than a thought before I can drive it around a bit. 

But, on the bright side, I have nothing but time. 

I'll just pick up the parts here and there as I can and go from there.

Steve

***Updated with more pictures***

Edited by srlbotanical - 04 Aug. 2017 at 2:44am
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 3:34am
Here's a shot of what I'm dealing with on the underside. The frame is solid except for the rear drivers side front spring mount. I'm planning on cutting out the bad stuff and boxing everything with 1/8 steel.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2017 at 3:53am
Yep, you have a problem or 2. I have a friend that owns an auto repair shop and he laughs and says that I use the hub puller more than they do. Years ago I was changing out all of the fluids on my new to me Jeep and the front axle looked like it was running a chocolate milkshake in there. I avoid deep water anymore.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 1:44am
I had a friend stop over this past weekend with his plasma cutter and a heavier welder than I have. We got the worst section of frame repaired.

This is what I started with...

The rot is cut out and prepared for new 1/8" plate.

Test fit...

We welded in an outside plate, an inside plate and a new bottom section, then welded the spring hanger back in place. This is now ready for paint...

And finally, a shot after cleaning it up with a flap disk, priming and painting...

It's a small step, but I'll take any forward progress I can get!

Wink

Edited by srlbotanical - 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:57am
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 1:55am
I also found a replacement axle. The original axle in this thing was shot. I lucked out and found an axle locally for a very decent price. So, out with the old. 

I wanted to take the axle shaft out of the old axle to keep as spares and I aslo wanted to take the shafts out of the new axle to change the seals and make sure everything was run-able.  I had a heck of a time getting the shafts out, so I made this puller from scrap I had laying around. I know it's not very pretty, but it works great!

Now I need to find a set of springs, get the axle painted and put back together and then it's back to setting up brakes.

My goal is to be able to drive this down the the corner and back (about 2 miles) before the snow flies.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 2:29am
Impressive welding skills! 
Nice work.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 4:26am
Must follow!  You are doing a great job.  Very encouraging for a novice like me.  Clap
1947 CJ2a #155307

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2017 at 3:45am
I haven't posted in a while, and I don't have any huge updates for The Good Dog, but I have been chipping away at a few things. I try to get out to the Jeep cave a few nights a week. If nothing else, just to listen to some good music and clear my head.

I got the rear axle put back together. Everything cleaned up with new seals, fresh grease, new springs, all new hardware and a good thick coat of paint. I had to replace one left hand wheel stud. I used a small bi-metal hole saw (3/4" if I remember right) to remove the swedge and press out the old stud. I pressed a new one back in and put everything back together. I also welded up the small breather hole on the axle tube and put in a small fitting at the top of the axle tube as a new breather. I will run some rubber hose from this fitting up under the tub someplace out of the way.

I finally got the axle completely connected with new brake lines and shocks. The brakes are adjusted and fresh oil is in the pumpkin. After cleaning the drums and letting them soak in the parts washer for a few days, a couple coats of paint came off the middle hub area. I'm pretty sure that yellow on the hub is the original wheel color. It sure looks like harvest yellow (or whatever you call that color)

I then started tackling the front axle, brakes and steering. I told myself I wasn't going to completely tear this thing apart. I really just wanted to get the brakes working so I can drive it and enjoy it for a while. Well, as you all know, one thing keeps leading to another and I can't stand to not fix something or at least clean/inspect/lubricate if I'm right there.

I'm replacing every brake line, wheel cylinder, all brake hoses and master cylinder. In the process of tearing into the front axle I noticed that a number of the steering components are really sloppy. I decided to take the drivers side fender off to have easier access to the steering and brake components.

In the process of taking off the fender, I think I found the Good Dog's original color!

So now I can at least dream about one day restoring it to the original red with yellow wheels....

Well, that's where I sit for now. I will continue to explore the front axle, cleaning and resealing as I go. I found that it has two different types of axle shafts. At this point I don't know if it has the correct spindle bushings, etc. so, I'll post another update after I get into that a bit further.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2017 at 3:31am
Great welding on the frame and building the axle puller.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I then started tackling the front axle, brakes and steering. I told myself I wasn't going to completely tear this thing apart. I really just wanted to get the brakes working so I can drive it and enjoy it for a while. Well, as you all know, one thing keeps leading to another.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Man, I can sure relate to that!! That's my kind of axle puller too. Haven't made it to Ionia since I told you "I go all the time" Had to many projects going at once. What did you use(brand) for wheel cylinders? Also hope your getting ready for your jeep's 70th birthday. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

What did you use(brand) for wheel cylinders? Also hope your getting ready for your jeep's 70th birthday. Joe W

I ordered most of the brake parts from Rockauto. I think they were Centric brand. 

I'm sure The Good Dog will receive some sort of new birthday parts.... 

I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point Joe!

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 1:23am
I thought you guys would appreciate a quick story in my hunt for parts.

In Grand Rapids MI. we are fortunate enough to have a second generation jeep shop called Cascade Four Wheel Drive. In a world of on-line ordering and  faceless information, I can't tell you how much I appreciate walking into a brick and mortar shop to ask questions, so I try to purchase as much as I can from these guys. For example: I was looking for a set of rear springs. Dave (the owner) had a dusty set of old stock from the 90's on his shelf. They weren't original stock, but they were old enough to not be made in china.

Most recently I've been looking for a drivers side, Spicer front axle shaft. I stopped in to ask Dave about it.  He thought he might have a good used one in back and called me a few days latter with news that he found a new shaft on the shelf. 

But here's the fun part, Cascade 4WD has been in business since the 60's maybe longer. They moved to thier current location in the 80's and this shaft was in a box addressed to his old location.

We could also still make out the UPS ship date of July 12, 1979.

So I figure this shaft has sat on a shelf for 38 years in at least two different shop locations waiting to be part of the story of The Good Dog. 

It was destiny! 

Edited by srlbotanical - 26 Nov. 2017 at 10:58pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 3:43am
You're lucky to have a shop like that close. I used to work in a Jeep shop like that in Denver and everything on the shelves was OEM.
uncamonkey
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 5:15pm
Wow! that guys still in business? I can remember going to see him with the ole man back before I could drive 1967. He used to lay sheet metal over the sides for rust repair. Ended up going to a junk yard for a tub. 25$. Where's his new shop? Back in the day it was just him, and a guy by Sand Lake for parts(outside of the regular jeep dealer). Wonder if he's still around? Another was "Cactus" from south west garage for electrical stuff, Went to his son this year. While where on the subject Monarch pumps like the one on your jeep is still in business on Mich. ST. I've kinda been out of it for a while as I concentrated my efforts in the 2 wheel world. But I'm back! Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2017 at 10:32pm
Thanks for sharing your parts story, so cool to find something like that Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 12:40am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Wow! that guys still in business? I can remember going to see him with the ole man back before I could drive 1967.......Joe

You probably did business with Dave's dad. I don't think he's around anymore. Dave owns the place now. He survives on the new jeeps, lots of JK and TJ work. But he just lights up when you talk about anything older than 1971....

This is the address if anyone is in the area:

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 3:27pm
Happy New Year everyone.

I haven't posted any updates in a while, but I am here to tell you that I had a great few days in the shop over the holidays.

I took the whole week off between Christmas and New Years, and spent some good quality time in the Jeep Cave working on The Good Dog.

It's been cold here in Michigan, down to -12F at one point, so I burned a lot of wood heating the shop. But the smell of wood smoke, Kroil and old grease just combined to make it that much more enjoyable. I was able to keep it about 50 degrees out there most of the time.

I've been working through the brakes, replacing everything. I got the new master cylinder in place. I needed the MC that has the rear through-bolt and the front threaded bolts. That rear bolt nut was the toughest to get at, hard to remove, but even harder to hold in place when installing the new one. Here is a bad picture of the MC once installed... It's crazy how dirty everything looks when you put in a new part.

I have been replacing every hard line and every rubber hose, cleaning things up as I go.

I also removed all of the steering components so I could go through everything. This is how crusty the knuckles were. They looked so much nicer after going through the parts washer, but I didn't get a picture of that.

I removed both knuckles and cleaned everything up. The king pin bearings were in good shape on top, but I am going to replace both bearing cones and races on the bottoms. They were just starting to pit a little.

That leads to a question about the end bushings... I'll start that off in the next post.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 3:43pm
Once I had the knuckles off and everything cleaned up, I noticed a pretty significant difference between the two side.

The drivers side looks great. This side had the original bendix axle shaft and the axle tube bushing looks great. I have a new spicer style axle shaft (the great story from earlier) and I think I'm good to run it as is on this side.

The passenger side doesn't look as good. This side had a spicer style shaft in it already. This is my theory: At some point in the past, the original bendix joint broke apart and spun around inside the knuckle for a while. That's why there is an updated spicer shaft and that's why this axle tube bushing is almost totally gone.

Thoughts? Do I need to get a new axle tube bushing for this side if I'm running a spicer shaft?

I'd appreciate some input.

I'll continue with some steering updates in the next post...

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>