Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 10:36pm
Solder Repairs carried out on the Fuel Tank - Very hard to find people who do that now. Only the old guys. The Younger generation does not care or is interested in working on these old Jeeps. 

The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 10:48pm
Jeep comes home after first round of body work with Primer. Still need to make minor corrections to the body 

Next on the agenda is the rolling chassis 

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2015 at 2:08am
Looking good! Clap  I wouldn't worry to much about the floors, sometimes they are too far gone that replacement is the only way. At least you are trying to save the original tub!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 8:54am
Hello All 

Logistical issues of restoring a CJ2A in Punjab while working in Australia, notwithstanding , i have made some progress and sharing some photos 

Starting with the original Master Cylinder - It was pitted. Not usable. After looking around for someone who could sleeve it, and not finding any takers, my father who is an electrical engineer rolled up his sleeves and did the job for me. A cast iron sleeve in the MC , scrounged around brake kit parts up and down the country and presto - we have a Master Cylinder that is ready and installed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:03am
Steering box rebuild . I cannot stress enough how good is the feeling when you see original parts from the factory

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:13am
We checked the ring gear and the differentials - while the axles and the hubs (which are not available anywhere needed work, the ring gear itself was pristine and correctly dated.

The Front and the rear axles were again correctly dated. I am into WW2 Jeeps and i cannot even begin to tell how important dates are to some of us :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:15am
The Axle Dates

The dates are correct for # 176745 - Month of March , 1948

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:24am

The diameter that holds the axle ends had a proper bubba repair job whereby when we opened it we realized it was too big to hold the axle shaft and was kept in place with thick leather pieces filling the gap. 

We searched high and low for the hubs but no avail. My mechanic not the type to give up, separated the hub from the drum area and got the diameter machined to the right size and then somehow got them welded back - I was away so i have no idea of how he did it

But we noticed something that was really really cool 

when the drum and the hub were separated we noticed this Overland logo - not having a camera , the mechanic traced it on a paper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:29am
Our original brake lines were totally kaputt. We tried to save them but they were totally rusted internally and would not attach to the hub (possibly my fault when opening them up i wasn't gentle enough) 

So we fabricated the brake lines from a tiny Suzuki Car called the Alto. I think we did reasonably well. 

Photos of the original and the copy 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:35am
Some photos showing the brake backing plate area - These were patiently and painstakingly cleaned by hand using Kerosene oil

Brake Lines

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 10:43am
some more photos of the original things that were saved

The tie rod ends 

Cleaned with hand and kerosene

The hub that gave us trouble 

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 11:05am
Great photos. thanks for sharing your progress!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 2:39pm
Welcome back ,Nice to see you are still working hard on your project .Keep the pictures coming.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 3:25pm
Back with a vengeance, I'd say LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 2:50am
Outstanding work, your father did a great job with the master cylinder rebuild. Love to see all of your innovation with your project.  Please keep the updates and pictures coming.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 2:56am
Slave (Hub) Cylinders were also sleeved and rebuilt. No aftermarket reproduction cylinders used. Opening them was a major task. They were frozen solid and we did not want to use a press to force them out - Scalding hot water and oil was the solution and they were dipped in them for a few days before we could open them. After that they were sleeved on the lathe machine. 

USA Markings on the cap - A rare occurrence these days 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 22 Mar. 2018 at 3:28am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 3:17am
Transmission being dropped for Frame Painting - a very dodgy looking skid plate. Any brethren , especially in the Calgary area of Canada have a transmission skid plate that they might want to sell, i would be interested. 

I am still unsure what the real colour is - the dark green or the light green. Original plate on the transmission 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 3:25am
I have promised my mother that i will get her marble floor fixed when the mighty Jeep is ready to roll !! I have not told her about the constant leakages : - ) 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 22 Mar. 2018 at 3:27am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>