Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:35am
Checking Tappets , Valves , Clearances

The Valves had pitting 

The Seats 

Pitting 

Old School Tool 

The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:37am
My mechanic discovered that the valves were not originals or even actual replacements. Someone had found valves that were close to what the Willys valves were and had crafted and shaped them to work with the L134. Impressive piece of craftsmanship i must say by the previous fellow. If my mechanic is impressed, well then I am as well Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:43am

The engine goes to the shop for new seats 
The earlier plan was to use sandpaper and smoothen these valves and remove pitting. But a generous benefactor Mr Uday Bhan Singh of Calcutta who has the largest Jeep collection in India was kind enough to send me new replacement valves which we will use. He has shown this generosity to many others over many decades. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:51am

The man who makes every thing possible for me - patiently cleaning with his hands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:56am

The Block comes home 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 10:59am

Oil Drained 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 11:04am

Replacement Cam Gear - was very lucky to track down one. Only then i learnt that this is not made of metal but fiber. Surprised that such materials existed in 1948. Pretty cool engineering if you ask me. 

The gear on the Engine 

If you carefully note - the one on the right has one broken teeth. It took a lot of effort to remove the existing gear - we built a small fire - slowly applied heat and were finally able to get the gear out 

While i felt one teeth won't make a difference but my mechanic said that the engine should run as silently as possible and hence the effort towards replacement 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 11:06am

The cam had small abrasions that we could not capture on the phone camera. These were patiently smoothed out over hours. It is like new now !! Another step towards silent running 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 11:08am

Exhaust manifold repairs 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 11:12am

Part is in good shape 

We fabricated this Tappet Adjusting Screw lock since we could not find any

The engine had been rebuilt before and some of the studs were not of the correct length - some were taller - they were shortened to the correct length 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 2:46pm
The exhaust manifold stud on the left side in the picture (at the front of the engine) are sometimes so a governor can be installed on the CJ2A.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2018 at 3:19pm
You are making some good progress! Clap
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 4:02am
Yes, very nice work!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 2:10pm
Well done! Thumbs Up I enjoyed the story about the old valves.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

The exhaust manifold stud on the left side in the picture (at the front of the engine) are sometimes so a governor can be installed on the CJ2A.

Thank You. I looked at the manual and it made sense 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:03am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Well done! Thumbs Up I enjoyed the story about the old valves.

Cheers. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:03am
Will post more updates - Winter rain has come and it is impossible to work at the moment. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2018 at 11:20pm

The Bore size is a standard 79.37 mm 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>