Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 2:07am
You guys can check here that it runs silently 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 07 Feb. 2019 at 2:09am
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 2:15am

Wanted to highlight the difference in sound with and without the "exhaust" 

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 2:40am
Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 1:32am
Nice progress!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 5:14am
WOW !  Nice work on that engine and it sounds good.Clap
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2019 at 11:16pm
That sounds great. 
Awesome to hear it run after seeing all the work and obstacles that you overcame. 
 Make sure you have the throttle linkage arms in the correct position on the back of the engine before you put the tub on. 
 Keep the updates coming. Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:43am
Thank You all for your words of encouragement. After starting the engine we hit a road block - one of the seals had probably hardened and we got a leak in the engine 

So this is the cup bit that leaked. I don't know the name of this part. The seal had probably become hard because it was not used. There were no leaks from the engine before and this was one part that was not inspected and redone. 

The reason it may be a blessing in disguise is because we discovered rust 

So this had to be cleaned. The images below after removing the rust

We also got the seals 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 7:45am
We also noticed that the new engine oil we put had some gunk and impurities in it when we drained it. I guess when we ran the engine all of it circulated around and now has drained out. Seems like that may also be a fortuitous outcome for us. 

Hopefully no more road blocks - paint the engine and then move on to the Transmission and transfer case  

Bill M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2019 at 10:26am
Thank you for the link to your CJ2A Richie. Looks like it is in good hands.
cheers
Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Bill M Bill M wrote:

Thank you for the link to your CJ2A Richie. Looks like it is in good hands.
cheers
Bill

Hey Bill !! Just like the MB is in good hands !! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2019 at 3:24am

The Seals are in !! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2019 at 5:35am
So we noticed rust where the cups sat along the length of the shaft where the cup sat and cleaned it up

i had it in my mind but forgot to take a clear image of what the cast number was and meant (had hoped to ask here in the forum) 

Also noticed these stamped marks beginning with J but unsure what they meant 

The rusted cup - we suspect that due to the crack in the engine head, water made it's way into the engine and sat here for a long time 

Post clean up - Hard time to get the seals in - hardly any place to manouver 

The bolts cleaned by hand and like new !! 

The Oil pan is back on and fingers crossed no leakages this time 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 10:24am

Next thing to tackle was the Flywheel 

Some of the teeth showing their life - I thought we would have to find a new one but the mechanic had an ingenious solution 

Wrap the flywheel 

Light it on Fire to heat it after marking it 

Clean it quickly after removing it 

Fit it back 

Rotate the wheel 90 degrees and stop 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 10:37am
So what he explained to me was as follows : - During it's entire life roughly 5 teeth each on 2 sides 180 degrees apart had been used excessively due to the starter motor always engaging the same set of teeth whenever the Jeep was started. 

So after fitting it he quickly rotated it 90 degrees whereby the starter motor will engage a completely different set of teeth on the flywheel. 

I also have a question 

How was the flywheel fitted in the factory - there must be hardly a few microns between the two "circles" 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 19 Feb. 2019 at 10:42am

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 11:05am
Man I love this build. The ingenuity these mechanics display is awesome! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Man I love this build. The ingenuity these mechanics display is awesome! 

I agree!  This really is a fun build to follow. It is easy for us to get caught up in the warm glow of fancy garages and state of the art tools and equipment.  But this thread really shows that the skill and experience of the mechanic is by far the most important key to success.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

....  How was the flywheel fitted in the factory - there must be hardly a few microns between the two "circles" 

I think heating the ring gear to expand it and dropping it on to let it cool to a press fit was a typical way to install ring gears originally as well.  I'd guess it was done off-line, with the assembled flywheel /ring gear being brought to the assembly line as a single part rather than dealing with hot parts needing to cool on an assembly line.

An interesting related story.  When my sons were in Boy Scouts we took a tour of a railroad museum.  They had a "Big Boy", one of the largest steam locomotives ever made (making it one of the largest locomotives ever made, since the diesel-electrics are a lot smaller than their older brothers).  The museum had a film about the making of the Big Boy.  The drivers (the main drive wheels) were about 5 1/2 feet in diameter and had a steel "tire", a steel band that was separate from the wheel, so it could be replaced when it wore out.  The "tire" was installed this same way, heating it up to slip it on and letting it cool.  But they said that the "tire" was about 4 inches too small to fit over the wheel before it was heated up.  They were expanding it that much to install it!

(Anyone driving west on I-80 through Omaha can look up on the hill to the north side of the freeway, just after crossing the Missouri River and see a Big Boy on display in a park, along with one of the largest diesel-electric locomotives.)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 8:51am
Guys your positive feedback means a lot. My mechanic does not know English but i keep on translating word for word, all the feedback and guidance given. 

We did some more work 

After the clean up 

Lucky to get a new bush. The previous one had been fitted with the tinning technique and was done for 

Since the flywheels had no timing marks, we used the M38 as an inspiration to come up with the timing marks of our own. 

We crated this shaped bit after i saw a photo on the internet , then we stuck a thin cardboard against it and then slowly tapped it against the engine to get the impression of the holes

Drill the holes for the bolts 

Fitted with timing marks that will be made more prominent after proper paint. The  small ridges should help us out 

Getting to the gearbox side 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>