Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 Willys Pickup Ratty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2013 at 7:26pm

Here are a few photos from this weekend, the truck has the Timken rear axle and had 13 leaves in the rear and 11 in the front.  I am replacing the packs with ½ ton springs as I don’t really need a 60hp lumber wagon.

Keith
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2013 at 8:36pm
interesting your serial number is only 3,000 in yet you have the late style gauges and such ( about 9000 were made in 1950) I'm guessing that you are pretty close to the change over number but i have no idea when the number was.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2013 at 9:40pm
His S/N is  4WD 13049, the '1' isn't real visible in his pic.   The 1950 1/2  S/N started with 4WD 12745.

To correct this post to save confusion.  The 1950 1/2 started with S/N 4-73 4WD 10,001.  The 12745 in the above is the S/N when Willys changed from round holes on the wind shield header to oval holes.

Jim

Edited by WeeWilly - 05 Nov. 2013 at 10:19pm
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
chassis23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 12:16pm

wow you guys really do know your stuff!  I know these trucks had low production numbers, especially compared to the CJ’s that I’m used to, but I still figured 13049 is fairly early.  What was the starting number?  With CJ2A’s it started at 10,000.

Keith
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 1:33pm
My '53 pickup has the same spring packs as yours, and frankly it's way too much. One ton springs in a 72 hp pickup is ridiculous. Where and what type 1/2 ton springs are you getting? I was considering removing leaves in mine. Thanks, John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 5:43pm
trucks started at 10001 as well so you are very early in the line, my truck is about 6000 in for a 51 which isn't bad. it still has a lot of stuff you only find on a 51 and 50 with f head, that stuff was changed for a 52 year, it is odd how some very very small changes help you tell what year it was between 50-53
46 2a
chassis23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 7:13pm

Oilleaker1: I got my springs from a place called BJS, it’s a jeep salvage yard.  The guy there has been great to work with.  I can get you his email if you would like.

Schimms15: what kind of small changes are there in the 50-53 run?  And how could you guys tell from my box that is was a late 50 truck?

Keith
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 7:38pm
I really don't know that much but use references.    The  4 wheel drive Willys Jeep truck also started out with   4T 10,001 S/N in 1947 but they started all over again in 1950 1/2 using 473-4WD 10,001 with the new model style and  model# that yours is, making your 1950  production 473-4WD 13049 number lower than my 1948  S/N  4 WD 21871.  Willys did this with all there vehicles when they made changes  and changed the model # up  to around 1955, after that they didn't start the production# (S/N)  all over again when they made a change and just changed the model numbers or and letters in front of it.

JIM
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 8:03pm
I'm wondering if your springs came from a Jeep wagon. They were lighter. As to changes, the early Flat fendered trucks are interesting because they have the pivot shaft for the clutch and brake petals on both sides from the factory. L or R hand drive. They were all similar up to 50 that I've seen. 50 is a very mixed up year. Some Flat, some pointed, different dashes, still had push button inner door openers, ash tray different, and I thought they were all l heads. I thought ( must be wrong) F head started in '53 and only the M38a1's had the F head in late '51. Early bench seats were split 60/40 with the pair arranged either way for L or RH drive. The full bench must have started sometime in 50. Yours has the flip board in the cab so it was full. The WO tailgate was used up until around '54 I think. I don't have a book to look this up in. I tried to figure stuff out looking at all the different years. What a mess to figure out. Then there is the timken VS dana rear ends. Wacko  And: we are not done yet, what about previous year trucks being sold a year later and titled at that time? I can see after owning one why so many got  Ford and Chevy V- eights stuffed in them.  3100 lbs of slow. At least the sound of the fan is cool!Big smile. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
chassis23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 8:27pm
I would love to find that split bench, that would be super nice.  My door, no idea if they are the originals, don't have the buttons, they have the pull latches.  I am going to go with the L head since I have one all redone and ready to bolt in, though I really would like to put a nice Ford flathead V8 in it some day...  The springs are both from a pick up, they are just from the 2T, so 11 in the rear and 9 up front.  My front axle is a D25 right?  Are the brakes the same as the D25 on the CJ's?  I have all new brake parts for my CJ and I'm kind of hopeing I can use some of it.  The master cylinders look to be the same at least.
Keith
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 8:43pm
the Mc will cross over but the truck had 11" brakes the cj had 9" brakes, i could tell you have a late 50 because your cab has the tool boxes that open to the top not the sides, the early ones opened to the sides and had a slider that would close them. also john 50 late had the f head option and that was the standard until 53/54 when the f head was an option but the l head 6 was also an option and in 54 the 6 cylinder was a standard. your doors must be a later one than because in 52 the doors changed from push button to pull latch style
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 8:46pm
the 51 and 50 also had different engine throttle linkage than the 52 for the f head engine. you also need to check what your axles gear ratio is, 5.38 is the norm but 4.88 was an option and so was 6.17. your front should be a dana 25 just like a 2a but a bigger one, most likely you have bendix joints on it. 
46 2a
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2013 at 10:16pm
Go to  www.Willysamerica.com

Order one of their catalogs even if you never intend to order a part from them. They are $10 or $12 and worth every penny if you own one of these trucks or wagons.

Besides the exploded views ALL of the serial number information being given here is broken down year by year with the changes mentioned for every year.

It's just as easy to build a 'truck salad' as it is to build a 'jeep salad' like you see on here all the time.

You may have a mixed collection of box, cab and frame (including the serial number plate which will fit any model you want to put it on)

Order the catalog and you will be able to id what you have.

Paul Barry will be able to answer any questions you have (if you can tear him away from his restorations).......tell him Chad sent ya. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
chassis23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2013 at 12:48pm

Great, thanks guys.  This is why I love this forums, so many knowledgeable people that are willing to help.

Keith
chassis23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2013 at 2:30pm

Quick question for all you smarty pants, while deer hunting in the great white Upper Peninsula this past weekend I bought an early 50’s pickup, no vin plate so year is uncertain, for parts.  My buddy that I hunt with said that his neighbor used to be into Willys jeeps, after talking with guy he brought over some parts that he still had sitting around, one of them is an intake exhaust for a L134 but the carb mount sits 90 degrees different and there is some material forged into the intake for bolts to.  I’ll take a picture but does anyone know what this would be for?

Keith
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2013 at 4:36pm
Sounds like it could be an industrial engine manifold set.
46 2a
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2013 at 3:03am
DJ or Jeepster.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
chassis23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chassis23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2013 at 12:09pm

yep, I looked them up and that's what it is.  Is there any worth or benefit to them, flow better or rare…

Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12