Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2017 Ouray Colorado @ Colorado West Jeeps - Event Date: 15 Aug. 2017 - 17 Aug. 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Waaaaaaaay back in the day (1961), the descent into Telluride way one way up on the half hour and down on the even hour, cause you did not want to pass on that road.
Is it only 1 way down now?

So who made sure to flag each end???????? How would that work when each person could leave at different times?

It's only one way (down) now. Personally, I would not want to drive it up . Backing up at the switchbacks, and spinning on the loose rocks  would not be good. Shocked 

John,
It wasn't that busy then, but it was best to start ON the half hour point, and not later.
We went down that year in a CJ5 with 5 of us and all luggage strapped on. You can also back up every other switch back so there is no turning.
BOULDER 48 2A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 4:57pm

....You can also back up every other switch back so there is no turning.
..... not me

Look at the 4:30 mark.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 5:40pm
Jeff, at 11:23 and 11:34 (approx) it looks like there is a big rope or cable of some kind that crosses the road.  What is that?
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 5:54pm
Tom, that's the remains of a cable tramway system that the miners used to transport ore from the mine to the mill.
  I thought that 9:09 was rather interesting - up the steps with the sun in your face! Shocked  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 5:54pm
I can't tell but it looks like it might be part of the cable trolley system for transporting ore from the mine to the mill station at the bottom of Ingram falls

Edit:  oops  Bruce beat me to it.

Edited by jpet - 23 Aug. 2017 at 5:57pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:00pm
Thanks, pretty cool!  That little blue flatty made a lot of those turns in one sweep.  The newer jeeps had to take 2 or 3 tries at them.  Kind of surprised by that.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:04pm
Here's a report from when nivrat did it last year:

Edited by jpet - 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:15pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:14pm
NO. JUST. NO.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:16pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:19pm
.... if you are in a hurry, there are some bypasses:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Thanks, pretty cool!  That little blue flatty made a lot of those turns in one sweep.  The newer jeeps had to take 2 or 3 tries at them.  Kind of surprised by that.

Not really, my 3B will make corners better than a CJ 7 or a JKUR. A lot of it is the wheel base. My Commando isn't even in the running. I have a D30 back in the yard And I have considered it but I'm sure I would have to re gear it. The only advantage I would get is the disk brakes on it. Nah, I'm already running 11" brakes.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 7:53pm
 I found this, I expected it to be nothing but a TeraFlex commercial, but it's got a bunch of cool pictures of the old days and history. 

B-dubya
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 8:34pm
That's a good video, Bruce.  Thanks for finding it.  So, is this "Jeep Jamboree" deal the same folks who do the Rubicon Jamboree?  I mean is it one club or just a bunch of individual events that maybe all use the same "Jamboree" moniker?  Might be a cool group to hook up with, but I didn't see one flattie there.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 9:09pm
Hey Mike,

My wife Patty saw your post regarding Nancys opinion of Blackbear. Thinks Nancy and her could be new best friends.  Her quote was " Got your back, Jack"

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 2:04pm
Well...........after seeing the latest pictures I may want to reconsider. 
I would definitely want to be more experienced in 4 wheeling before taking on this trek. Love the video

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

So, is this "Jeep Jamboree" deal the same folks who do the Rubicon Jamboree?  I mean is it one club or just a bunch of individual events that maybe all use the same "Jamboree" moniker? 

It's a different group.... Jeep Jamboree USA...  https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/tripsregister/  (they do offer a Rubicon event too and are also based in Georgetown,CA)

They offer rides all over the US (open to anyone who wants to register)..check the website for info. (there are restrictions though)

Edited by rocnroll - 24 Aug. 2017 at 2:57pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

....You can also back up every other switch back so there is no turning.
..... not me

Look at the 4:30 mark.

Jeff,
The roads have deteriorated a bit since 1961!
Poughkepsie Gulch, Engineer, Cinnamon were all easily passable.
BOULDER 48 2A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2017 at 3:26pm
I did Black Bear Pass and Imogene in my WW2 GPW. My advice is: don't do it in yours. If heights bother you, you won't like driving there. That said, the views and history will astound you. Drop dead beautiful. If I were to go back, I'd have a Jeep set up for it. A low crawl ratio, excellent brakes, locking differentials in places, and a fuel delivery system not bothered by altitudes of 12-13,000 feet. If you are adventurous, a 4 point roll cage, and winch. Extra fuel capacity or Jerry can too. The runs are long and sometimes challenging. 10 hour driving days common. The Alpine loop is 85 miles long on the trail. Higher than stock ground clearance is another advantage when dealing with rocks and wash outs. Not too high though. A top heavy, tippy Jeep is a disadvantage. These trails are not for beginners and going alone is a very bad idea. Tow rope, extra common parts, tool kit, first aid kit, radios, antifreeze, and a contact list of your family if a accident occurs. Buy a map while there. KOA has a excellent one. Make your reservations 6 months in advance. Your haul rig also needs attention. Be ready for huge mountain passes. Engine and trailer brakes are a must.  Optional items are; dress suits and tophats! LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>