Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

225. t14 d18 overdrive 31x10.5 thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 225. t14 d18 overdrive 31x10.5 thoughts?
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:21pm
I'm  about half way through my build. Does anyone  run a cj2a with a dauntless 225 to t14 Dana 18 twin stick then saturn overdrive with stock 5.?? Gears and 31x10.5 tires?

I know the tires may rub but I'm either going to lift 2.5 inches at the springs if needed. Currently with no body on they seem to clear.
I haven't swapped the drive lines yet but I'm fairly sure that's my current plan. I also don't know the difference  between the traditional worn overdrive that as fat as I know isn't easily available  and the newer saturn overdrive that is easily available.  I'm planning to get to that stage of the project in a few weeks so I'm just thinking it through now. I'm still rebuilding the body for a few more weekends.  If anyone has any thoughts or opinions I'm open to all of it.  For those following along from my prior posts I'm going to leave the stock l134 and column shift alone. I just don't have interest in it right now and my body will be 2x as heavy as a stock one so it will just be too underpowered.  sorry classic history guys. But just so you don't think I'm completely evil I will either sell that setup complete for a reasonable  price or I may leave the 46 engine drive line and frame completely for a stock rebuild  at a later time and complete my 46 on the doaner 71 frame. It might be easier for my needs to put the custom heavy build 46 body on that frame since the 225 is already mounted on it.  only thing that will change is Dana 41 to the newer higher geared Dana 44 under that chasis.  It's only minor frame repair to salvage the 71 and for this build I'm not going for stock.  So that would leave the 46 cj2a complete  and unmolested just waiting for a body to be installed later.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:31pm
I have many thoughts on your build, so which ones you interested in ? Ha Ha !

Second behind Jeep model selection; the engine is the 2nd biggest concern as it greatly influences so many of the other drivetrain components.
The Dauntless is the optimum choice for anyone wanting maximum on and offroad performance from an early universal model of Jeep.
That is true if you regulate your build to exclusivly using genuine Jeep components and Jeep approved accessories.

The Dauntless does best when properly located.
In the end the build project must become a complete synchronous system.
To do so one must scrutinize every functional detail of all components and assemblies.

There may be better choices concerning drivetrain assemblies. 
It will help if you can define the realistic intended use for this build.

I feel the 1971 is a much better frame for a build than the 2A frames.
But the 71 frame is for a CJ 5 and not intended for a flatty body.
That problem can surely be overcome if the body is being fabricated.
Unless you have the patience and foresight to properly locate the engine in the 2A frame the 1971 frame is likely a much better choice for this build.

Edited by oldtime - 31 May 2017 at 3:42pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:07am
My first Jeep was an M-38 with a Buick V-6 under the hood and the original 5.38:1 axles.  I put a Dualmatic OD on it and drove it all over the place--Washington, California, Maine and in between.  I don't know what size the tires were, as the commonly-known sizes of today weren't around then.  It worked fine for me.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:18pm
THANKS.  I'm custom building the body using what's left of the 2a as a template. I'm fairly sure I can adapt the body design to fit either frame. I probably should look into that fairly quickly.  I have the rear section nearly done. Moving towards  the front this weekend. I'm currently  pondering  springs and lift as well. I'm not so interested  in a 2.5 lift but internet rumors  tell me it's required  for 31.10.5 tires.  I wanted stock 16 x6.5  but reality was I needed new rims new tires and new tubes. They would have been $ 800 more than the 5 new 31x 10.5 I picked up with rims included. Currently  the 31s fit but no body to hit and frame is straight  and level on jack stands. Real world driving might cause some currently  unseen problems.

As for my body choices. .. I'm building  every piece from 12 guage.  ...I'm not sure I have a rational  reason there.   I had the material. I prefer working with 12 over 16. It's far stronger and welds easier. Won't rust through or dent as easily.  it seemed like a good idea at the time...why be normal... really I don't have a good reason but I'm halfway done and it's looking good so far. Time will tell I suppose.
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 9:40pm
I agree that a cj5 frame is a better choice for your driveline. As soon as I finish buttoning up my 47, I am going to begin a 62 CJ5 with 225, Sm420, dana 18 combo. I have thought about putting a 3b tub on that cj5 frame and its not that hard to adapt that style body to a 5 frame. So, if you have the ability to find a 5 frame, it would give you the best of both worlds. But your combo will fit into a 2a frame. My 47 has a 4.3 Vorted, T-15 and dana 20 with a Saturn.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 10:24pm
As luck turned out my jeep project started out as a 47 cj2a from somewhere 1400 miles away with buick 225 already in it. The guy wouldn't sell it to me because he didn't think I was seriously going to buy a vehicle unseen from that far away.  So I searched the internet more and found my 46 cj2a in well preserved basket case form. I bought it instantly then realized I had lots of work ahead of me. In my search to find parts I found a complete cj5 rolling chasis with 225. T14. T18. And Dana 44. Rear. It was really cheap so I jumped on it. no body and it had been sitting outside under a tarp for 3 years. Turns out it it actually runs and the frame is really pretty solid. No worse than my 46 and both are easily fixed by a welder and plasma gun.  I had already started repairs to the 46 and I wanted a flat fender not another cj5. So here I am mid project with basically 2 jeeps and lots of parts to swap either way. There are worse situations to be in i suppose.  there is a very good chance I may build the 71 as a 46... then build the real 46 as an original. I'm not admitting that theory to the girlfriend yet, but I've had bad thoughts already.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 12:46am
My 5 has the T86AA but is otherwise similar.  The 225/OD combo will do best with 4.88/4.89 axle gearing.  3.73's and the OD, IMO, gear it too high for the 225.  I really don't see a problem using the CJ 5 frame.  Yes, you will need likely need to relocate some body mounts but I believe the frame rails are the same distance apart and I think the rear tub mounts are in the same location.

The Warn and Saturn OD's are the same size-virtually identical.  And you should be able to run 31-10.5's without any problems with the stock suspension.  If I were doing it, I think I would leave the extra 1" wheelbase at the front and mount the rear of the tub in the stock position.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 9:56am
Mike, on the next early 5 I am thinking that I would stretch the axles apart slightly anyways, even with the stock frame, just to get a couple of more inches of wheelbase. Helps with the angle of attack, oh I mean approach.
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 4:44am
Since you're making a body anyway, why not stretch a 2A-looking body to fit the -5 frame?  Give yourself an extra inch of legroom, maybe?  Stretch the wheelbase and get more legroom.  Worth a shot, I'd think.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 5:20am
I shortened the rear fenders by an inch and a half. So far it looks like the 31s will still clear with the axle lifted to the bump stops. Again time will tell. I'll adapt the front section as needed. I haven't gotten far enough forward of the bed to figure out what's going to move in the front section yet.  I'm currently having technical difficulties  forming the curve where the bed meets the seat. Tomorrow  is a new day. Or maybe the next day.
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 12:52pm
My jeep is lifted (not sure how higher than stock) with 31×10.50 15 and no rubbing or clearance issues at all.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 2:43am
I have the exact same setup as you except for 32.5 X 11.50 X 15 mud terrains.  I have added Holbrook Springs and will probably have to reposition the springs or move my rear axle forward due to interferencewith rear fenderwell

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 3:45am
Well had I planned to use the cj5 frame from the start it would be no big deal to make the body fit. However as I have learned this evening.  The 5 is longer and body mounts are different. By alot. ...yes I can easily move body mount. Probably  easier than I can adjust my body at this point... but like all projects that take sudden unexpected turns in direction... it's best to know when to stop and think. 11pm on a friday with nothing lined up right is about the right time to stop and think more clearly.  I'll revisit the 225 swap idea back to the 46 frame as well as the 71 frame modifications and or the body modification between now and morning.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 5:19am
It sounds like you are going to figure it out, Sometimes it just takes a bit of time to readjust your thinking and come up with something new or see the obvious answer that was in front of you the whole time.
uncamonkey
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 2:14pm
I changed my 47 build a couple of times, WHILE I was in process of the build. No big deal, have a beer and think about it a while. In the end, the path is always clear.
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 1:52am
How close does that 225 fit beneath the 2A/3A hood?  I'm curious about if the body needs to be lifted or a hood scoop fitted for carb clearance.  My brother had a Commando with that engine and it kind of surprised me how well it ran.  
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 5:41pm
My '46 CJ2A is very similar to description in opening post.    There is very minor rubbing with 31x10.50 tires,   on very twisty trails.   Mine has stock springs.    It does have Dana 30 front end,  which is approx 1.5" wider at each wheel.

The engine clears stock hood with some trimming on the seam down middle of hood.   This is with a fairly low air cleaner from a '65 Olds.   
 Post Reply Post Reply